Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 30, 2016 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 30, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 30, 2016

Unread 10-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 30, 2016

Hi Kdswdc2,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdswdc2 View Post
My surgery is tomorrow. I am finding that I am suddenly starting to flip out. I've been crying all morning and no one seems to say anything other than "you'll be fine". I know I'm in good hands, I've had 4c-sections, but this is really freaking me out. I dont have a large support group.
It is normal to feel like this as we approach the last few days and hours before our surgery. Major surgery is a scary thing, and hysterectomy can be very emotional on top of that. Everyone says "You'll be fine," because they just aren't sure what to say. Close your eyes and take deep breaths. Trust in yourself, in your decision, and in your surgeon. Your surgical team will do what they do best: Take excellent care of you.

Quote:
Work wants me back at a physically demanding job in 2 weeks. My husband is going back to work the next day as soon as we get home from the hospital and my kids all live far away.
How much time did your surgeon say you should expect to be off work? I was told 6 weeks, but in the end my doctor didn't clear me until 8 weeks. Make sure your doctor knows exactly what your job entails and be specific about how much weight you will need to lift. In my opinion, 2 weeks is not a reasonable expectation. Be clear with your employer that your doctor will not clear you for work before xxx weeks (whatever your doctor has specified). Stand strong and do not be guilted into risking your health by returning too early.

Quote:
I tried to quit smoking but I didn't, I did cut down to a pack every 3 days from a pack a day. So now my fear is the smoking damage and anesthesia.
Good job on cutting way back on the smoking! I imagine that is no easy feat while you're feeling stressed about surgery. You will see your Anesthesiologist before you go into the OR. Be clear about how often you smoke. He will take good care of you!

Quote:
Sorry to ramble but I wasn't worried or scared at all, I was excited to get rid of the constant pain, bleeding for months and owning stock in Tampax. This emotional panic hit me hard by surprise this morning. Maybe it's the hormones I take to control (not stop) the bleeding since may.
This whole hysterectomy journey is a . We are up then down, excited then scared, doubting ourselves then impatient, short tempered and then weepy. The emotions may be with you for a while post op too, but it does get better!

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm going to bust out crying in pre op in the morning and look like a fool. I just want this over before I have a break down! I guess I don't understand how I went from excited to be done with it, not fearful...to being horrified and a big balling mess.
Honey, I cried all the way through my hysterectomy experience. I cried at the doctor's office every time we discussed it. I cried all the way to the hospital on the day of my surgery. I cried while they started my IV, while I talked to my Anesthesiologist, and as they wheeled me into the OR. You will not look like a fool. These are your emotions and you have every right to them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Hello sisters,
Tomorrow is my big day, I'm having a DaVinci single incision partial hysterectomy tomorrow. Doctor is confident she'll be able to save the ovaries. Getting extremely nervous since I've only had one other surgery- yes, it was related. I don't handle pain meds too well, so I'm a little nervous about the recovery and feeling nauseated on top of it all. I have several friends who have been through this and they both keep telling me it is all worth it and I'll be so glad I did this when it's done. I just want it to be done and all my "issues" (fibroids, possible endometriosis, heavy periods, and bleeding, and painful intercourse) to go away. I guess it's normal to be nervous before a surgery.
Unread 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reminder Lamb777 that He has this under control! I'm going in tomorrow for my procedure so the nerves are starting to get the best of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2016, 02:50 PM

*peekin' in as I see the nerves and questions being asked*

sweet ladies! I am sure that you are getting those last minute things done, your resting places all set and getting ready to spend a little bit of pampering time for YOU!

Take a deep breath. You are made strong with those around along with the amazing unity of sisterhood you are building.

You've got this and you are never alone!
All the best of wishes and we WILL see you on the Other Side!
Unread 10-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Hi Everybody!
I go tomorrow for LSH, both tubes removed, and possibly the right ovary. I also have a 8cm paraovarian cyst on the right and another 4cm cyst on that side too, which will be removed.
I have been experiencing the joys of pre-op bowel prep since earlier today. It hasn't been as bad as I thought, but it's not too great either. I was VERY anxious about this, since it was scheduled back in August. Now that tomorrow is the day, I can't believe it went so fast. The anxiety comes and goes at this point.
I have to do the chlorhexidine shower tonight and tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital by 5:45 AM and I am not a morning person.
At least it will be done early then. Surgery is at 7:30.
Although I am very nervous, I am also excited to end the many years of heavy painful bleeding and embarrassing moments.
I have had to run home from work to change many times, and once at my son's doctor appointment it ran right through my clothes onto the doctor's couch. That was awful. I had just changed the pad 30 minutes before that too....
I also get terrible shoulder pain with my period. I am hoping that stops now, although since at least one ovary will stay, it might not if that is caused by hormones. No one has been able to tell me why I get the shoulder pain.

I was thinking about having a hysterectomy party with games like the tampon toss or pin the pad on the wall. ha ha ha ha.
I'm not sure if others would share in my humor though!

I am sad that I am missing trick or treat today. I love Halloween!
Blessings to all of you! We will all get through this!
Unread 10-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureLove View Post
Thanks for the reminder Lamb777 that He has this under control! I'm going in tomorrow for my procedure so the nerves are starting to get the best of me.
Give those nerves to FATHER, HE will give you peace to endure!! Hang in there and keep your faith in HIM!!! Hugs!!!!
Unread 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm having a supra-cervical hysterectomy open abdominal surgery with sacropolpexy, bladder sling, vaginoplasty and Tummy tuck . Pain, excessive bleeding and stress urinary incontinence are my reasons why. Why open abdominal? My Urogynecologist saw a rash that I get under my belly and suggested he would work with a plastic surgeon to remove the flap of skin if I talked to one. I did, and he is going to remove the skin and tighten my muscles. So, no reason to create 4 more scars in my belly from da vinci when there will be one big scar across my pelvis. I've had some negative response when I tell people I'm getting a hysterectomy with Tummy tuck, so I usually leave that part out, but if I'm going to go through the pain of hysterectomy and have the opportunity to have a tummy tuck at very minimal cost thanks to the panniculectomy being covered by insurance because of current rashes, why not go for the whole shebang. Surgery is in 1 day and 13 hours. Yeah, I'm nervous, but I think I'll do ok. I've done lots of prep and research to make recovery as smooth as possible. I wish you all a safe and healthy recovery as well.
Unread 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM

I'm doing my bowel prep tomorrow but I have been eating soup since Friday to try to make the process easier. Might have made it too easy...feels like I started it today...Good luck tomorrow, Mine is exactly 24 hours after yours.
Unread 10-30-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sapphire View Post
Hi Everybody!
I go tomorrow for LSH, both tubes removed, and possibly the right ovary. I also have a 8cm paraovarian cyst on the right and another 4cm cyst on that side too, which will be removed. ...

Although I am very nervous, I am also excited to end the many years of heavy painful bleeding and embarrassing moments.
I have had to run home from work to change many times, and once at my son's doctor appointment it ran right through my clothes onto the doctor's couch. That was awful. I had just changed the pad 30 minutes before that too....
I also get terrible shoulder pain with my period. I am hoping that stops now, although since at least one ovary will stay, it might not if that is caused by hormones. No one has been able to tell me why I get the shoulder pain.

I was thinking about having a hysterectomy party with games like the tampon toss or pin the pad on the wall. ha ha ha ha.
I'm not sure if others would share in my humor though!
Hi BlueSapphire,

Since you mention heavy periods, I want to give you the heads-up that retaining your cervix means you may continue to experience mini-periods after your surgery. It is thought best to keep any organs that are healthy, and there are pro's to keeping your cervix. It's about what is best for you and your particular situation.

Mini Periods After Hysterectomy

10 Questions to Help You Decide About the Cervix

Throwing a Goodbye Uterus party can be fun! We have ladies here from time to time that do this. A uterus shaped cake, some party games, and a few laughs can be therapeutic too!
Unread 10-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 30, 2016

Hello ..it is so nice to know I am not alone in my fears and concerns. My abdominal hysterectomy (also taking Fallopian tubes and cervix) is scheduled for Tuesday. I feel confident in my doctors abilities. But everything happened very quickly I went to the ER 3 weeks ago with lower abdominal and low back pain. Once there the thought was appendicitis. Not until the CT scan showed a large growth in my uterus, did I see an OB/GYN. I had a bad infection as well in my uterus, that took 4 days to get under control .. Till then I had never been in the hospital except for when our son was born 8 years ago. And now back again for 2-3 days.. And the thought of being down for the count for 4-6 weeks is terrifying. I know I should take the time and just relax. But as I am sure most of us are.. We "take care" of our families and are the last ones that want to be cared for? (Or is it just me) I appreciate all the insight I have gotten through this site and the wise woman here. I have a pillow in my bag as well as a belly band about to add ear plugs just in case. Good luck to everyone and a speedy recovery! Thank you for the advice and for sharing your stories made me feel not alone
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register