The Wisdom of Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Shopping > Books We Recommend

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Wisdom of Menopause The Wisdom of Menopause

Unread 12-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Menopause: "The Wisdom of Menopause" - book

The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change

Author: Christiane Northrup, MD

Editorial Reviews:

Amazon.com's Best of 2001
Menopause doesn't have to be a dreaded curse of aging during which we can look forward only to hot flashes and whacked-out hormonal mood swings. According to Christiane Northrup, M.D. (Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom), menopause often marks the beginning of a woman's most sexually passionate, creatively inspired, and professionally productive phase of life.
While this may sound like wishful thinking, Northrup backs up her good news with solid medical expertise. As an obstetrician and gynecologist, Northrup has specialized in using a mind-body approach to women's health for decades, which means she doesn't just write about hormones, but also examines how a woman's lifestyle, emotions, and beliefs are affected by menopause. With the right diet, attitude, and perhaps some supplements along the way, women can actually look forward to a resurgence of energy and a revolutionary opportunity for personal growth--one that rivals the hormonally driven period of adolescence in its scope and urgency, she claims. And yes, at just under 500 pages, The Wisdom of Menopause does explain how to have a positive and healthy menopause in concise detail. Northrup has indeed "written the book" on menopause.

It helps that Northrup has been through menopause herself (she vowed she wouldn't write a book on it until she was on the other side). Readers have the sense that they are gleaning advice from a knowledgeable holistic doctor as well as a sage aunt whose life was radically altered by the "change of life" (Northrup divorced at the onset of menopause). After she shares her personal story of "the change," Northrup delves into a significant discussion on how self-sacrifice catches up with women in midlife. Suddenly, hormones are directing women out of the caregiver role and into an inwardly focused assessment of life and its meaning, she explains. Resentments (not hormones) are what spur the notorious surges of anger, as women reexamine the agreements surrounding their relationships with colleagues, friends, and family members.

From here, Northrup guides readers into a thorough section on menopausal hormone changes--a discussion that is scientifically informative, yet entirely accessible. While acknowledging the need for hormone-replacement therapy and the tremendous relief it can provide (helping to alleviate insomnia, hot flashes, and depression), Northrup encourages women to avoid synthetic hormones and instead consider "bioidentical" hormones (such as estradiol, estrone, and estriol). She also devotes an entire chapter to foods and supplements that support hormonal balance. By the way, she says to skip the wild Mexican yam creams: "they certainly don't provide the documented benefits of progesterone." Be warned: some readers may find the advice in Wisdom of Menopause too alternative for their liking. For example, in her discussion on insomnia, one of Northrup's recommendations is to cover the mirror at night, following the ancient Asian design principles of feng shui. (Skeptics will find Northrup's medical assertions carefully cited and footnoted in the rear of her book.)

Northrup gives a solid and practical diet plan that supports hormonal balance while countering the weight gain that so frequently plagues menopausal women ("focus on portion size, not calories," "eat protein at every meal," and cut down on refined and high-carbohydrate foods). Readers can also expect a thorough mind-body discussion in subsequent chapters that cover breast health, bone loss, and cultivating midlife beauty, along with chapters titled "Sex and Menopause: Myths and Reality" and "Creating Pelvic Health and Power."

She concludes with a list of mail-order and online resources, such as retailers for bioidentical hormones, progesterone cream, Chinese herbs, soy products, weight-loss audiocassettes, lubricants, and Kegel weights. Northrup takes a truly comprehensive approach to all the effective treatments of menopausal symptoms so that women can make their own highly informed and wise choices. --Gail Hudson --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Publishers Weekly
Northrup (Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom), cofounder of the Women to Women health-care center in Maine, offers a celebratory, "psychospiritual" approach in her comprehensive guide to menopausal health and well-being. Beginning with the premise that, though difficult, the "hormone-driven changes that affect the brain... give a woman a sharper eye for inequity... and a voice that insists on speaking up," Northrup details hormonal imbalances, mood swings, serious illnesses, treatment options and all the other symptoms, side effects and decisions women face in midlife. Middle-aged herself, Northrup writes from experience and, more important, from her professional expertise as a physician who has treated many women and researched menopause. While much of the health-care material here is available in other sources, Northrup's approach a description of symptoms, followed by both traditional and alternative treatment options along with some anecdotes is particularly useful. Occasionally she veers off into New Age jargon, but she is a firm believer in the relevance of tangential influences on physical health, including emotional and financial well-being. The specific medical advice on sleep, diet, breast health and the empowerment motif will bring insight, comfort and confidence to women embarked on "the change." Agent, Ned Leavitt. (Apr. 3) Forecast: Northrup is a bestselling author widely held in the same esteem as Gary Null and Deepak Chopra. Among the competitive field of books on menopause, hers stands out for its whole-woman approach, which will make it attractive not only to her core readership but also as a hand-selling favorite among booksellers.

Need a link to view it/buy it?

The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
The Wisdom of Menopause

For those who have lost their ovaries and are now in menopause, I recommend this very good book.
Unread 04-27-2008, 04:33 PM
The Wisdom of Menopause

Thank you sandcastles. I just celebrated my 50th birthday this past Friday and I asked my DH to buy me this book (I had been wanting this book for about two months now). I still have to read it, but I saw the author on Oprah and on a PBS special. I'm looking forward to it! I also asked him to get me "The Age of Miracles-Embracing the New Midlife"by another author. I had a LAVH/BSO on April1, and it was kind of hard for me to have my 50th, but I'm feeling a little better about it.
________
Hope50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Re: The Wisdom of Menopause

I cannot say enough about this book and anything with Northrup's name on it. It's so much more than another meno book!
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Re: The Wisdom of Menopause

I give it a thumbs up as well
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Great book to read

The Wisdom of Menopause is one of the most wonderful books to read...it answered so many questions I had about what was happening to my body, why it was happening and what to do about it or not...

I was worried about what was going on, what did it mean, was it normal...and after I read the book I really was at peace with the changes...and looked forward to moving into another time in my life.

I had my hysterectomy some years after my menopause..so didn't have to look for signs..they just came rolling right along.

If I couldn't sleep, I would read a good book and grab a nap later, when I got night sweats I put a small AC in my bedroom window and cooled off, got my husband a twin down comforter and he could cover up while I was sleeping under a sheet. so I just rolled with it..and never missed not having a period, a good thing! I carried a small folding fan in my purse, and found a pretty one !When I felt grouchy I would go outside for a walk and count my blessings. If my boobs were sore I would wear a looser bra and a low necked top and celebrate my feminine side..

Hope this isn't too off topic, but reading that book made me feel so validated, so encouraged to move on with my life and not let my changes define me..except in a positive way.

And chocolate helps!

Lee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register