Surgery Wed and am researched out-final thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Wed and am researched out-final thoughts Surgery Wed and am researched out-final thoughts

Unread 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Surgery Wed and am researched out-final thoughts

Hi everyone,
I am new to the boards as a poster but have been lurking for a couple weeks. There is so much information provided on here but I did find that its really so different. I am scheduled for a laproscopic hyst with tube removal leaving my cervix. The doctor is leaving my ovary decision up to me. I am 42 and have an extremely high family history of breast cancer and only one second cousin with ovarian. I also tested negative for the gene. I know most seem to say dont take ovaries if not necesssary but after resarch, I am leaning towards taking them anyway. I worry nonstop about ovarian cancer. Below are some things that I have come to the conclusion on but would love some feedback.

- I was going to try to go cold turkey on HRT but my gyno advised me he recommends a low estrogen only patch. After reading up on it and the fact that it reduces the risk of breast cancer, I am thinking that there really isnt much reason to NOT go on it. What do you think? I get why most wouldnt do the full HRT but this patch seems to have more benefits. We did just buy a hot tub and i have been reading that you cant go in, or shouldnt with the patch. Anyone know that? I cant get my money back on the hot tub now so am a little concerned.

-I was petrified about losing my libido but am not so worried now after reading some positive posts. It also seems that most people that have issues with that had a non lapro hyst or vaginal. I can see why it could be different.

-Regarding recovery, I am hoping that it wont be difficult becuase its lapro. I had a tummy tuck last year and was cut hip to hip and had full muscle repair. I came home that day (crazy right?) with about 4 drains coming out of me. So bar any complications, I think this could be a little easier. My issue is nausea with anestesia and the meds they give you to help with that actually make me much worse. I have been told by nurses that they have never seen that before. Figures, lol. I am going to see if they will giev me Xanax instead as htat works great for me when I am sick.

-I know the horror stories I have read are real but for the positive ones, it seems attitude and positive thinking comes into play so I am going to try very hard to be positive.

I would love to hear positive personal experiences or feedback on the questions I had above. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Re: Surgery Wed and am researched out-final thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksgame View Post
-I was petrified about losing my libido but am not so worried now after reading some positive posts. It also seems that most people that have issues with that had a non lapro hyst or vaginal. I can see why it could be different.
Could you explain a bit more what you mean here? I have a DaVinci vaginal hysterectomy planned.

As for the patch, I used the estrogen hormone patch along with the Estroring (estrogen vaginal ring). When I was in my 20's. I needed the estrogen to treat my Lichen Sclerosus and urinary issues. I only have positive things to say about my experience with the estrogen ring.

I've read recently that studies show that the estrogen patch is far safer and has fewer risks and side effects than oral estrogen.
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Hi Abagayle,
Thanks for the reply. I think what I mean by that snip is that it seems that women who have their hysterectomy via the vagina or a full cut have a little more difficullty healing, which seems to make sense. I would think that if they are going in/out of the vagina or there is a huge cut, it would be more uncomfortable than lapracopic. But I also have no clue. I am comparing it to my tummy tuck which was so painful.

Seems from what I have read, the laproscopic is least invasive and there is no vaginal issues. I am not familiar with the Davinci though and that may be fine too. I think I had heard that was also less invasive.

IF you were askign about the labido thing, i guess I was thinking that if there is a huge cut or there was stuff done in the vagina, sex would be more uncomfortable causing a low labido. But again, maybe I am talking jibberish, who knows. I am just tryign to make it seem like this will be a breeze and more doing it to convince myself....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Hi mksgame

Regarding HRT. I had a TAH BSO at age 46, and tried to do the surgical menopause without HRT. This did not work at all. I was MISERABLE! I went on oral low-dose estrogen and am much better. I have never looked back.

Regarding labido. Everyone is different. This is something that everyone deals with in their own way. As I gain more energy, this has returned for me. I am still dealing with other issues regarding sex. We need to use lubricant - and that is a bit frustrating for me.

Regarding recovery. Be very careful when comparing this surgery to others. You are having a major organ removed from your body. No matter how they enter your tummy, you will have hundreds of internal stitches - no different than any other hysterectomy. You will most likely experience extreme fatigue (the level really caught me by surprise), and you will probably be in some pain (maybe moderate to severe pain). You will have several restrictions - driving, lifting more than 10 lbs (a gallon of milk weights 8.5 lbs), etc. I guess my point is to plan on being down for 2 to 3 weeks, and get help for things such as cooking, dishes, shopping, etc. Then work SLOWLY back into your life and work.

Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register