Is it true hormones really ok if ovaries left in place? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it true hormones really ok if ovaries left in place? Is it true hormones really ok if ovaries left in place?

Unread 12-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Is it true hormones really ok if ovaries left in place?

I am getting a TAH and am curious how true it is that the ovaries will keep my hormones stable.

What is your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Hi there
I kept my ovaries and as far as I know they are still ok. Have had the odd menopausal symptom here and there but nothing I can't deal with. I am one year post op in January. Don't think they are working quite as well as they were but am menopausal age so would expect this anyway. I havn't needed HRT as yet and just take a multi vit and fish oils.
Good luck with your op
Herne x
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:56 AM

I think I read somewhere that in women my age (48) the ovaries keep working an average of 2 years after hysterectomy, but many people's experience on that will vary. If they shut down on me, I will have to see what my symptoms are, if any, and deal with them. My SIL had her ovaries removed at hysterectomy, I guess she was about 52 or so, and she has told me she has needed no hormone replacement, so for some, even having the ovaries go might not be an issue, though obviously some women will need some HRT to be comfortable. I think the number of options open to us can be confusing, but at least they are available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Ovaries produce the hormones so, if left, they will still produce the hormones! They may not work so well for a month or so, after surgery but, as soon as they settle down, they will carry on as normal. Some women find their ovaries fail after about 5 years, but they're a minority.

I chose to keep my ovaries and they're working just fine.
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Keep Ovaries

Ok, if your ovary or ovaries are healthy, keep em!

I do not understand why doc's take them out (unless keeping them is life threatening).
Ovaries produce essential hormones. Replacing those hormones is not so easy. Your body will ache for them.
Please read through the Hormone Jungle. More details there!
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:41 PM

My doctor told me that the average age for ovaries to stop working is around 51.7. I am counting on that. I will probably not take HRT due to family history of cancer.
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi

Just my opinion, but I agree, if they're healthy, keep em!! I have mine and have had very few symptoms. I'm convinced it's because my ovaries are still producing, and keeping me healthy and young. I supplement with a little bi-est due to some insomnia and fatigue. Haven't had a hot flash yet and I'm over 3 yrs post op and age 47 (for 2 more weeks! heehee :-)

Good Luck!
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:40 PM

I want to keep every thing I can
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM

If you keep your ovaries, and they still have a healthy blood supply then they will continue to produce hormones for the rest of your life. During menopause, they only cut back on the amount of hormones they put out. Surgical menopause is more drastic in that your body is left without any of those hormones. Many women who have had their ovaries removed plan to continue HRT, even if in small doses, for the rest of their lives. There is no way that HRT can completly take the place of your ovaries.

If your hormones are stable before your hysterectomy, and no damage is done to them during surgery, then they should continue to work the same after surgery. However, they do sometimes experience a short time of being in shock from the surgery. During this time, many Dr's will provide temporary HRT to help get you through until they "wake up".

Best Wishes.

Kay
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM

I keep my ovareis. I had surgery back in March. I am now on a hormone patch. For some reason my ovaries never did kick back in. Im not tring to worry you but I just wanted to let you know it can happen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register