BOWEL PREP AND clear liquid for 2 whole days!! Anyone else do this?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BOWEL PREP AND clear liquid for 2 whole days!! Anyone else do this?? BOWEL PREP AND clear liquid for 2 whole days!! Anyone else do this??

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:36 AM
BOWEL PREP AND clear liquid for 2 whole days!! Anyone else do this??

I have to start my bowel prep early tomorrow morning and dring 10 oz mag citrate at 8 am in the morning. I have been told that I have to have clear liquid diet starting tomorrow as well. However, I also have to have clear liquids only on wednesday and then nothing after midnight. My surgery is early morning on Thursday. The hospital is a 45 min drive away.

Has anyone else done TWO whole days of clear liquid diet? Most people seem to do the prep/cleanse the day before with a clear liquid diet, but not two whole days prior?

i figured that I obviously will be on clear liquids post surgery on thursday, possibly friday(?)...so...I will not have eaten solids for almost 4 days!!
This is really worrying me How awful do you feel going into surgery starving?? And is it more of a shock to the bowels post surgery when you do finally start to eat solids?
PLEASE help me....I so want this surgery to be over and done with....I am not only nervous, but starting to get cranky as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Re: BOWEL PREP AND clear liquid for 2 whole days!! Anyone else do this??

I have had to do 48 hour clear liquid diets twice prior to colonoscopies, it is not easy but is doable! If you are like me, once you are at the hospital being prepped for surgery, eating will be the last thing on your mind. And after the surgery, you will most likely be groggy for a while but they will generally let you eat as soon as you feel up to it. Yes, it may take a while to have a BM after surgery but that too is normal. Good Luck.
Pam
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I have done two day liquid diet and bowel prep for a colonoscopy. My last surgery involved a one day liquid diet and prep--while traveling and at a hotel!

My best advice is Jello Jigglers, broth, and Gatorade. Eat and drink a little bit off and on all day, both days.

I won't lie. It is not going to be fun. But it is doable and switching between the Jello and broth helped me a lot.

Here is an article we have that also has some helpful tips: Liquid Diet - What Can I Eat?

in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM

My dr said it wasn't necessary. That is worse than the operation !
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

I did not need 2 days of a clear liquid diet, but I did need 2 enemas on top of all of the liquids. I am glad that my doctor insisted that I was very cleared out before my TAH. When reading the surgery notes, I discovered that my bowel was positioned outside of the body during the entire surgery. I am not a health care professional; however, I think that it helps to have the lower intestine as clean as possible to tolerate the treatment it gets during surgery!

I found drinking a lot of broth helped keep the hunger away. Post surgery...I wasn't interested in eating for several days (and that is never a problem for me!). Good luck to you!
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM

My DR only requires a 1 day clear liquid bowel prep with a bottle of magnesium citrate @8 am and another @12 noon! I could not imagine a 2 day prep! I pray all goes well.
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Hi- I don't have to do a bowel prep. My dr requested a liquid diet the day b4 surgery.... good luck
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:37 PM

i don't know that i can add much...i also had a two-day prep for a colonoscopy....day 1 wasn't horrible...i did ok having just broth and gadorade....day 2 the crankies hit...my husband didn't like me too much!

i had taken day 2 (a friday) off of work because we were having a food fest...so not a place to be when you can't eat!

like the other ladies said though, once you are at the hospital and even after surgery, you probably won't notice any hunger...and if you do (after surgery) ask the nurses what your doctor has ordered for your diet....anything is better than nothing after not eating!
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM

Im trying to remember what my instructions say
lets see the day before the surgery nothing to eat after 8 am, clear liquids,after 3 pm have to take 4 dulcolax,then at 8 pm have to mix 8 1/2 ounces of mirolax with 64 ounces of gatorade or crystal light lemonade, and start drinking, 8 oz every 15 minute until done
then im guessing the nightime in the bathroom and off to the castle in the morning..
have done the prep for colonoscopy so sorta along the same lines.. good luck to all
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:08 AM

I didn't have to do a bowel prep other than an enema the night before and morning of my surgery. I have to have some other pelvic organ repair surgery in a couple of weeks and the bowel prep for this surgery is horrible. 48 hours prior I have to go on a liquid diet, doesn't have to be clear, but nothing with any substance. Then 24 hours prior it has to be a clear liquid diet along with a bottle of mag cit in the afternoon. Then of course nothing after midnight. My PCP is not letting me be quite that strenuous though, because I am a diabetic and cannot do without protein for a whole 24 hours+ prior. My PCP said to have a protein shake (slim fast/ensure) in am and for lunch and then do the mag cit about 1 pm. That way the protein will be in my system and not in my stomach to just get washed out. Same with the other ladies though, once at hospital you don't think about not eating or when you can eat again. My biggest thing after my TVH was to get something to drink, my throat was so sore :s.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register