Pre-op Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Question Pre-op Question

Unread 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Pre-op Question

My Hysterectomy is on the 25th. I am trying to get things done and organized so that life is easy and relaxing when I get home. Anything you did before hand to make life easier? I am open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Re: Pre-op Question

my surgery is on the 11th and some things i have done to prepare are to make alot of meals and freeze for the kids about 3 weeks worth. I've also cleaned and organized my bedroom and purchased a bed assist bar to help me with bed mobility post op.
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM

To irishflower's great suggestions I would add the following:

- loose fitting, comfy clothes (I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts)
- DVDs and light reading
- small pillow to hold against your tummy for sneezes, coughs, and pet/children visits (if applicable)
- regular pillows and blankets for a recovery corner where you can watch TV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM

I don't have to deal with meals because of the care i will be getting but i did the following:

- cleaned my home from top to bottom. I didn't get crazy about it, I just made it company ready and if I felt like doing more i did it

- made sure I had comfy clothes and bought some panties that I don't care what happens to them. Got them a size larger than usual

- I haven't gotten a small pillow but mainly because i forgot and won't be able to before Monday

- I cleaned my room and made sure that everything I enjoy is there

- downloaded a bunch of movies and TV series

- got books from the library

- made sure I had a glass that is insulated and spill proof for water and juices

- got some throat lozenges for the hospital

- made up chore charts to remind everyone of what needs to be done and when so they don't have to ask me
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:42 PM

A couple things I found useful:
- Gas X (the gas pains post op are bad)
- Miralax (or stool softener)
- Heating Pad (my favorite thing ever!)
- Small pillow (to use in bed to put between my knees so I could lie on my side - or under my knees to lie on my back)
- Small healthy things to eat. I had zero appetite so bananas, yogurt, granola bar were enough to fill me up.
Wishing you the best with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM

A few things I would definitely add, both from this experience and my emergency gallbladder surgery years ago:

A wedge pillow - first on my list, it will help you sleep for the first several weeks. If you can't get that, lots of pillows to prop you up. It can take a while for that gas to get out of you, and meanwhile propped up is the easiest position.

Small step-stool - wish I'd had this! Getting in and out of bed was one obstacle we hadn't thought of, and a step stool would have really helped.

Clean loose clothes - as others mentioned, plenty of soft pants (sweats, pajamas) and t-shirts. Soft nightgowns work great too. Basically, think about what clothing feels comforting and go with that.

For the first six weeks, I wore tank tops with support in them instead of bras. Normally I would never be caught without a bra (double-d and over 40!) but when you need to be resting, it is way more forgiving than a traditional bra, and way more comfortable.

I made sure I had my clothes all washed and stacked right where I could just grab them, my little post-surgery clothes station. Make sure you don't need to open drawers, closets, etc.

Ice pack - they gave this to me in the hospital and let me take it home, which was so nice. For the first week or so this really helped my incision sites.

Heating pad - didn't expect to need this, but it helps a lot with the later healing twinges, after the first couple of weeks.

When I left the hospital they gave me gas-x and stool softeners. These are important! Moreso to my 40-year old body than my 20-year old body, lol. Take them, they help!

I set up a "nest" for myself in our living room so I could watch TV and be out of the bedroom during the day. That included a comfy place to be with pillows, blankets, and plug-ins for my various electrical devices: phone, kindle, tablet. I didn't end up watching much TV, but it was good to be out of the bedroom.

Small things to eat is spot on- yogurt, applesauce, soup, whatever you find easy to eat and don't need to mess with preparation. Slice up fruit and veggies ahead of time, they are good for you and something easy to grab.

You'll do great! Best of luck and big hugs to you
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM

I stocked the cupboard with lots of things for my family and for my recovery: snack puddings (these are an easy "meal" in the middle of the night so you don't take meds on an empty stomach,) prunes, oatmeal, juice boxes, crackers, hard candy, soups, easy box dinners, tuna, hamburger, chicken, chocolate (hey, we're still women!), peanutbutter, GasX, stool softener, advil, laundry soap, dishwasher soap, toilet paper, paper towels, toiletries, frozen fish (Lent was coming while I was planning,) and setting up auto payments for as many bills as I could for two months (I am the bill payer.) We have someone at our church who organizes meals for the homebound after surgery or child birth, etc, so we get two meals a week for three weeks --- really helping hubby since right now is also midterms for my 2 college girls. He hasn't even made a boxed dinner yet!

What I forgot to stock up on: thank you cards, frozen cranberry juice, and prune juice.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM

I cleaned the house from top to bottom, ironed clothes for a few weeks for family, stocked up on groceries and other supplies. Having a stool for bed was wonderful. Extra pillows are a must. Also I'm still wearing yoga pants, make sure you are in clothes that are comfortable. Best of luck
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM

I cleaned the house and had all the laundry done.

I had my room all ready, but I found that the first week I wasn't comfortable laying down in bed. ( I had 2 tubes coming out each side as well ) So I ended up on the couch for the first week sleeping almost sitting up. So I had a bunch of pillows. So might make sure you have a back up place to sleep if needed.

I had problems eating when I left the hospital. So I ended up eating small snack foods a lot. Fiber bars and those fiber cookies/ brownies are great! Something small and easy. I didn't even want or feel like using the microwave. And those were easy to keep beside me.

I used my TV tray a lot. It was arm level and I didn't have to reach up/ down for things. That made it easy on me.

Those were my biggies, Good Luck
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Oh yeah, I did get a couple extra "cheap" pillows, a breakfast tray with collapsable legs - use it by my bed to hold everything I need over night or during naps, and a new bed set (on clearance) so my bedroom would seem fresh and inviting. Also cleaned EVERYTHING - at least once , got all the laundry done, bought extra pet food --- my hubby has hardly had to go shopping at all in the past 11 days!

Got two yoga pants, one sweat pant, couple new tops - so I could feel pretty, granny-like panties, a new robe - that is so soft, new slippers, three new night shirts, and re-freezable ice packs. Having some new things to look forward to wearing has been really nice. I wear my new robe all the time - it feels like a hug - even took it to the hospital - it is very comforting.

Something I got for Christmas that I have been enjoying immensely is an electric throw blanket - it is soft and the warmth is so nice on my back. I also use a heatring pad we already had - I sleep on top ot it: adds warmth when I am cold, comforts my back when it aches a bit - keeps my bed warm when I get up to go pee (I also have an elecrtic mattress pad that has been super nice to have as I have felt cold a lot.)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register