Scheduled LSH Cervix No Cervix - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix No Cervix Cervix No Cervix

Unread 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Re: Cervix No Cervix

My doc said the latest report for people who have adenomyosis (which I have) was less pain in the long run if cervix was removed. I was on the fence too until another ultra sound showed growths on my cervix and took my choice away.
I am not sure if the study also had results for fibroids... might be something to ask your doc.. After years of pain the last thing I wanted was to go thru surgery and leave a chance of pain...

It is not an easy choice but I talked with my sister (10 years post hystersister) and she said sex and life is so much better and she does not even miss her cervix.

good luck on your choice. i know you will make the best one for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2011, 05:33 PM

I plan on keeping mine and my doc wants me to keep as much of my "parts" as I can. I have adenomyosis and have not scheduled my surgery just yet.

I just asked my doc Wednesday about the mini period thing. She said sometimes there is some endometrium left in the lining of the cervix which would shed on your next monthly cycle. Hence a "mini" period. She said if it does occur, it's usually for the first few cycles post hyster and not something that will be forever. I was told she'd burn the inside top part of the cervix and do something else that hopefully would prevent that from happening. I'm not worried about it and if it does happen I won't be bummed. Much rather get rid of the pain and this diseased uterus than anything. Plus I really want to keep my cervix for sexual reasons. May or may not make a difference but it's just something I want.

Good luck with your decision!
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM

I had an appointment today with for my second opinion and the doctor told me that because of my endometriosis he would remove the cervix. Basically it is what is causing my pain during intercourse and he said that he has had so many patients come in that have been dealing with pain that he had to go in and remove the cervix when someone else had left it in for the hysterectomy. I don't have any real attachment to it and if it means less pain and less chance of recurrence for me, then I'm all for it being gone.

Of course, this is very specific to endometriosis, so it may not apply to your situation at all. I'd just rather not risk having to have an additional surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Keeping my cervix was an easy decision for me. I wanted a short recovery and got it. I had four very small incisions. My big fibroids were cut into small pieces and removed through one of my 3/4 inch incisions. Nothing was removed through my vagina. I was working from home within a week and playing golf at three weeks post-op. Everyone has their own recovery, no guarantees, but keeping your cervix can make for a faster recovery. There is no vaginal cuff to heal.

I have no regrets keeping my cervix.

Unread 10-15-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
With a family history of cervical cancer
You do realize though Arawyn, that cervical cancer doesn't run in the family?
At your age Hydro you only have to have another ten years of paps , you're out the danger period of the highest prevalence of cervical cancer which is in the 40s.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all this info---i had several worries over this issue but feel great and a whole lot more reassured:
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

It was no brainer for me, my doctor and I discussed the possibility of keeping my ovaries and cervix and we agreed that he was to remove EVERYTHING! I did not want to have to worry about ovarian or cervical cancer and have to go through another surgery.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

At first I wanted to keep my cervix, but in the end, the decision was made for me by my own body. One of my fibroids is prolapsing into my vaginal cavity behind the cervix and pushed it out of position.

Thus, decision made, and I'm not regretting it. However I am keeping my ovaries as I do have a history of clotting on hormone therapy.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM

well the is taking my cervix,when he did my ablation in april he said I had enough room for a vaginal cuff so that was what he was going to do..
I trust his judgment, if he says I need it than I need it...
he has seen in there once and gave me the pictures to prove it
im hoping for a pretty quick recovery,will lay low for 2 weeks go the post op then go to florida for 2 weeks and rest down there. then hopefully by the beginning of January I can go back to work
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:09 PM

I think keeping......less messing with bladder sounds good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register