Not Scheduled Need Endometrial Biopsy before surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Endometrial Biopsy before surgery Need Endometrial Biopsy before surgery

Unread 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Re: Need Endometrial Biopsy before surgery

Your welcome. It is perfectly normal and ok to be nervous and afraid. I was terrified. But I survived the d and c and will survive the hysterectomy. Actually looking forward to it after all the problems since January. Just remember we all have been right where you are and understand. Always ask any questions you have (none are stupid, trust me) and some very nice lady on here will help you. Just take one step at a time, if you try to comprehend everything at once, it'll overwhelm you. Here's an example with me.

January bad pap, old gyn wrote it off as nothing.
February-March I was terrified of the bad pap and bleeding, decided to do something.
First step, went to see primary as I had fired my old gyn.
Second step, ultra sound
Third step, fibroids found, needed to find new gyn.
Fourth step, met new gyn. Described problem and had films of ultra sound looked over.
Fifth step D and C, terrified AGAIN cancer would be found.
Sixth step, pathology report fine, lets wait 3 months and see if it gets better.
Seventh step 3 month followup with pap and colposcopy. Bleeding not better, decided hysterectomy bet option.
Eighth step, hysterectomy.

So after 8 long steps and 8 months of fear and worry, here I am waiting. If I let myself get to far ahead, I would nearly go around the bend, my husband kept saying one step at a time. It works, really. Focus on getting through the biopsy, then focus on waiting for the path report (that is EXTREMELY hard), then focus on what the best treatment i.e hysterectomy, is going to be for you. Steps are easier than huge bites of trying to process everything at once. You'll make it. Waiting is half the battle and the hardest, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM

I second what breathoffreshair said....if the doc is experienced it should go well! My Dr has been in the business for about 40 years now...he was very fast also ran the speculum under hot water which actually sort of numbed me for the first part of it. Not as bad as I thought. There are different techniques they can use too.
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Definitely take 800 mg ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) about an hour before the biopsy. When the doc tries to insert the biopsy probe into your uterus, your uterus is very likely to cramp.

A couple of sisters here have mentioned doctors sometimes doing a D&C/hysteroscopy instead of a biopsy. In my case, my gyn attempted to do a biopsy. She was gentle and her technique was lovely, but my cervix would simply not cooperate and let the probe through. This is partly because I've never had kids and partly because I went through menopause four years ago, so my cervix wasn't as supple as it once had been. I didn't find the biopsy procedure painful, but the gyn couldn't get a sample.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM

I had a biospy last Thursday. My doctor told me that it was just to make sure there were no surprises during surgery. My uterus is very enlarged and my hysterectomy is scheduled for September 30. I have had a endometrial ablation 6 years ago and my doctor did warn me that it would be more difficult to do the biospy and it might be more painful for me. It was painful but the pain did not last. I took Ibuprofen prior to the procedure and after but did not need anything stronger. Try not to worry. Most physicians just like to know that they accounted for potentials problems.
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM

I think they always do one before planning a hysterectomy.
I had one done before the last time we planned this surgery and my job fired me when I put in my notice for surgery. Yes that sucked. I lost my insurance and had to cancel the surgery. Had one done this time before we planned surgery too. This one hurt and I bled for a bit but wasnt a big deal.
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM

I had an endometrial biopsy before my ablation last year. It was a "while I'm in here, why don't I take a sample", so I didn't have time to prepare/take anything, and it felt to me (having had two kids) like a really bad pap smear with cramping.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register