How Far Is Too Far? (to walk) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Far Is Too Far? (to walk) How Far Is Too Far? (to walk)

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
How Far Is Too Far? (to walk)

I'm relatively new here. I found this site a couple of weeks ago, and just had my surgery this week. I'll be going home from the hospital tomorrow.

This past Tuesday, I had a TAH/BSO and Appendectomy, due to a single large uterine fibroid, cervical stenosis, and severe endometriosis. The endo had also attached to the appendix, which is why it was removed.

I'm recovering well, better than the doctor usually sees in his patients, and walking well up and down the hospital halls. I'll be going home tomorrow (Friday), and want to continue the walking. Just the little I do at home from bedroom to living room to bedroom/bathroom to kitchen etc. isn't going to be enough. We live on the corner of a cul-de-sac which is on a slight incline (going down from our house to the end of the cul-de-sac), and is about a block long. I'd like to start walking the cul-de-sac and back, but don't know if that's too far or not. I know it's dependent on what I think I can handle, but I have a tendency to think "I can do this" and not realize I've done too much until it's too late. I don't plan on doing the walking by myself, at least not over the weekend, but may start on my own after DH goes back to work on Monday.

So, in short, would walking the equivalent of two blocks (one block down and one block back) be ok for me to do this soon after surgery? Or is it too far and should I try something else at first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM

I, personally, wouldn't walk that far the first week or two. Although you're not supposed to lay around all of the time, you should really take it easy especially the first week. You have one chance to heal properly. See how you feel after the first week and maybe slowly work your way up the block if you're up to it.
Unread 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM

I would check with your doctor before you go home as well, to see if he has any restrictions. I as told only 1/2 mile per day. I would gradually increase the distance taking it slow, depending on how you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 09:13 PM

1. Listen to your body. IT will tell you.
2. That said, sometime you need to take it a bit easier than you think at the moment. I know I walked about 1 mile by day 5-6 and during the process it wasn't too bad but I had some tweaks the next day which probably was from the up down of the abs. I don't think it's the walking but the jiggling that isn't too good.

3. Move...but take it easier than you think
Unread 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

sommerdal,

I agree with ccamrine. I think two blocks is too far this soon.
Walking on an incline is also a bad idea.
You don't want to use your stomach muscles at all! If you walk to the end of your driveway and back a few times, I think that will be enough.

I know what you mean by feeling well and walking good at the castle.
A lot of us feel the same way. Then we get home and overdo the walking,
or we do do something else that we shouldn't.

Then our recovery process starts over and may take longer
because now we may have injured ourselves. This isn't the time to test your resiliency.
You really don't want to risk tearing any stitches.

Count your blessings that you pulled through so well and go back to bed and rest!! :timeup:
Read a book, watch TV, or take a short walk with a short stride!

Remember
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:56 PM

I would definately check with you doctor because you could do too much. Believe me your mind thinks your fine but your body disagrees. A few weeks after my surgery (tah)I went to the grocery store with my husband, by the time I got to the other side of the store, I thought everything that was left inside me was going to fall out my vagina. I had to wait on a bench while he checked out. Take your time, everyone heals differently.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM

I felt much better the more I walked when I first got home. I had been walking 45 minutes a day before my surgery and I felt ready to get back to that by the end of my first week. I did it in small batches of 10 minutes at a time. I specifically asked my doctor how much was too much, and she said there really was no limitation on it - I should walk as much as I felt comfortable doing. I found that if I managed to walk outside, even if only walking around my driveway, it really helped me sleep better at night.
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyesq
1. Listen to your body. IT will tell you.

3. Move...but take it easier than you think

I agree completely. Each day, I walked just as much as my body "said" to. I would set out thinking I'd go a certain distance, and then....oops! Body would say, "That's enough!" Be careful about going too far.......you'll pay for it.

Even still, that's the measure I'm going by. I've returned to work (I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op), and I still have to let my body say, "You've done enough today. Time to go home." Your body will give you signals. LISTEN to them.........AND your dr!
Unread 01-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Sommer, I started to walk about 2 wks after hyster and it started with a hill, I thought this is great, couldn't feel a thing..until I got to the top of the hill and I really felt awful, started to get shooting pains in my tummy, so right back home I went. I didn't do a hill until I was 6 wks post op. I walked a trail we have here and didn't over do it. Walking is great now, I am 3 mo. post op.

Just start out very very slow and listen to your body. Good luck.
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:34 PM

check with your dr before you leave the hospital...it doesnt sound like too much to me. the more you move, the better you'll feel, the better you'll sleep. you need to listen to your body and if it feels like its too much or you are in pain...stop doing it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register