One week a princess - feeling great. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week a princess - feeling great. One week a princess - feeling great.

Unread 01-05-2004, 07:07 AM
One week a princess - feeling great.

One week ago today I was getting ready to leave for the castle and was absolutely terrified of everything: the anasthesia, the throat tube, the hospital regimen, the pain, the fact that my bladder wasn't yet emptied, the thought of never waking up from the anasthesia (a very big worry for me), the gas, and every single other worry that anyone could possibly come up with.

I checked out my hospital's accreditation, paid $10.00 to research my doctor's record, insisted my husband not leave my side for three days (this was a good idea - take an advocate with you to the hospital) read everything on the internet, reviewed years of posts on this site (thank you sisters who have gone before) and generally memorized lists of things that could go wrong and what to do if they did.

Well, soon-to-be-sisters, I worried for nothing!

My LAVH BSO could not have gone better. It was the third day before I thought to ask my doctor if a tube had been inserted down my throat - one of my worst fears - because I was not hoarse and did not have a sore throat.

I was up and walking the morning after, ate regularly, have not experienced any gas pains and my stools and urine were back to normal in 24 hours.

Please understand, I am not writing this to brag about anything. I was obviously lucky in my choice of doctor and anasthesiologist and had the prayers of many friends. But I want you to know that I was living in terror one week ago today and I absolutely cannot believe that I am this well one week later.

An hour ago I snuck down to the kitchen because I wanted to celebrate by making myself a victory breakfast - my specialty cream cheese and strawberry crepes. My good friend of 30+ years came last night from Minnesota to Texas to take care of me, and I didn't want to wake her.

I have taken it easy for one week, staying in bed and letting my family care for me. And I am not naive enough to think that there couldn't be harder times ahead, but I want to share with all of you that the very worst part was the worrying and fear beforehand. I was so terrified that in pre-op when my doctor came to tell me we were going in, she offered me the chance to change my mind. Luckily I said no.

So relax. Nothing will be as bad as you imagine it might be.

Now I need to get back in bed before my friend comes in and finds my dishes and scolds me for making breakfast and working on the computer. I almost feel as though I have gotten her here on false pretenses, but I plan to rest for a few more weeks and let nature take it's course.

You will be happy that your surgery is over and happier still that you have added a successful chapter in your book of life - and that you overcame your fears.

Em

For the record, I had bladder and uterine prolapse, am 56 years old and had my menopause 10 years ago. I had general anasthesia and chose the epidural for pain contrrol and I would do everything the same way if I had to choose again. But I wouldn't worry very much at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 10:04 AM

Em,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are now one of the Princesses comforting and advising us LIWs!!

Enjoy your friend's company...and no more dishes!!

Here's a couple of questions for you:

If you could give us LIW one piece of advice (besides don't worry) what would it be?

What one thing has been indispensable to you during yor first few days home from the castle?

Inquiry minds want to know!!

Take it easy. Keep feeling great!!

Jeannie
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:11 AM

Emily~

We had the same surgery dates and I am doing really well too!
Actually I have not felt better in a long time. I do get tired easly and often but other then no pain sense I woke up from surgery!!
I worried about all the same stuff you did and at the end it all went well. I had a great doctor and lovely hosptia staff who really took care of me!

Anyone that is stressing please feel free to e-mail any questions.
It will be over before you know and you will be home!

God Bless
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 12:35 PM
One word of advice.

Moosin93 - I will keep you in my prayers. I started a thread titled "Home and doing fine." which explains my recommendation that you have someone in the hospital as an advocate for you. It is here on the pre-op message board dated 1-02-03.

Since I've been home I have been so glad that I took the time to prepare my room for recuperation. Everything is witihin arm's length and I bought two new pair of fun and sexy pj's and I feel like I can stay here healing for quite a while. What a comfy feeling!

Em

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register