Stressed - and feeling cheated! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stressed - and feeling cheated! Stressed - and feeling cheated!

Unread 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Stressed - and feeling cheated!

This is my first post - I've never had much problem from my "girlie parts" - I had my period once or twice a year for decades - did have two c-sections but otherwise pretty boring ob/gyn patient. Since the beginning of 2009 my uterus has taken control of my life! In Jan I had a two week ultra-heavy period with no cramping or tenderness. Wondered if this was the start of perimenopause - so tried to ignore it. Skipped Feb - no surprise for me. First week in March began another ultra heavy period that went on for 12 days and then turned into uncontrollable hemorrhaging. After blacking out and an ambulance ride to the ER, I found out I had lost close to half my blood volume and needed emergency transfusion. Started progestin to stop bleeding, had ultrasound, numerous internals, and uterine biopsy (no pain med, profuse bleeding, lots of fun). At this point I established a relationship with my first Gyn since I was 26. She ordered a diagnostic D&C and hysteroscopy. She also tried to reduce my progestin over the following two weeks, because it is making my heart race, causing dizziness, confusing and hand tremors. But I again started bleeding - a lot. Upped the dose. Did the D&C and she told me I had so many polyps she couldn't possibly remove them all. She is waiting for the pathology - and I see her again on Monday for those results. Meanwhile I am still sick, still bleeding and cramping. She told my husband and me separately that my response to progestin isn't healthy, and that the only sensible solution is going to be a hysterectomy. I am so sick right now that I cannot function - a hyst sounds great to me - the sooner the better. The really crappy thing is, I am taking a challenging microbiology course that I love - but I cannot seem to focus or think clearly on all these hormones and drugs! My 4.0 is nose-diving. I feel hysterical - I waited 45 years to go to college, and I am doing it for me. Now, with less than three weeks left of a great class I cannot do my best work. I can barely drag myself in and balance on the lab stool. Urgh. I have the impression that she will schedule my surgery for May 1st - she moved my post D&C appointment up a week because of my problems with the progestin. This may seem trivial to many of you, but I feel like I'm losing a loved one. I have always wanted to go to school, and I take it very seriously because I really enjoy it. It is being ripped out of my hands, and I don't see any way to salvage it. This is a very expensive class, so dropping it would be a significant financial loss. I sent an email to the teacher, letting her know what is going on, but no response, and while she is nice in class, she hasn't said anything. Sigh. I've considered sucking up the hormones if I have to for a few more weeks just to take the final, but if she wants me in on the 1st, I don't think it’s a convenience thing. I may be borrowing trouble, but waiting for Monday's appointment is killing me. I am becoming obsessive and crazy. I find myself googling hysterectomy and coming here and reading most of the day. I'm scared of how violent my bleeding has been, I'm scared of how sick the progestin is making me, I'm scared of the possible pathology report, and I'm scared of flunking out of my class. I know, poor me. Thanks for letting me vent - my husband thinks I'm crazy to worry about my class and I feel like all I do is talk about my uterus! I wish I just knew what is coming so I can make decisions and live with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Re: Stressed - and feeling cheated!

OH BOY do I know how you feel. I was the same way. I attend University of Phoenix Online and when I had to have my hysterectomy I was in the 6th week of class, we go 9 weeks per 2 classes. I had a really hard time dealing with what was going on with me for months before the surgery. It is very hard to deal with. It sounds like you would benefit from the surgery in many ways. I would have the surgery, it has been the best decission in my life. I am in some pain, and have been since my surgery, but it is healing pain. I had to email my professors and my counselor and let them know what is going on. My professors were nice about it, well one was. I had one who did not let me make up the work, but one who did. It is very hard, school is important to you, as it was to me. You need to talk to the professor, and if there is a counselor you can talk to I would do that. Maybe you can study at home for the next few weeks, and then go in and take the final before your surgery. If you think you can pass if you do it that way. Just make sure you put your health before anything. Please keep me informed on what happens and what your doctor and your professor says.
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:28 PM

Dear Sharpie.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I can understand how you feel. Can you ask your gyn on Monday if there is anyway to continue the class for three more weeks. You might not get your 4.0 but you would have completed it. If not, you could always try to meet with the teacher and see if there is a solution. The worse it could be is that you would have to repeat and you would be ahead of the ball game. Your health is the most important thing. I too feel like all I do is talk about my uterus also. Keep us posted on your progress. I know things will work out for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2009, 10:34 PM

Wow, we sound so similar! I too am struggling with the timing of my TAH due to final week. I am just like you, having waited until my adult years to go to college. I had to make the decision for my health. I made the decision to cram really hard and do my final before the rest of the class so that I don't have to put it off - although it sounds like I won't have much to do those weeks after the surgery! for me its more important to feel that "my house" is in order so to speak, and getting it done beforehand will ease my mind. My thought is that life happens, and we just have to roll with it If your teacher doesn't respond I would go to your admissions department, or student counselor if you have one. They plan for these types of things and understand that people have to live their lives. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.
Unread 04-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Since you have already talked to your professor about what is going on I would wait for a response. When I was pregnant I had my daughter 6 weeks early (I took a summer class that was supposed to be over Aug 4 and I had my baby July 28). Which meant I could not finish a Grad school class. I took an incomplete and finished it later. My grade did not suffer and I could focus on the baby. Check with you school to see about taking a incomplete. Most schools the grade has to be completed within a year or term. If this is true you could focus on your health.
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekitten View Post
Since you have already talked to your professor about what is going on I would wait for a response. When I was pregnant I had my daughter 6 weeks early (I took a summer class that was supposed to be over Aug 4 and I had my baby July 28). Which meant I could not finish a Grad school class. I took an incomplete and finished it later. My grade did not suffer and I could focus on the baby. Check with you school to see about taking a incomplete. Most schools the grade has to be completed within a year or term. If this is true you could focus on your health.
Oh my gosh! An incomplete and you finished later? I never considered that! How did that work?

I don't have a counselor, but I suppose I could call the admissions office and ask them what to do. I'm just 4 classes away from my degree. I am frantic at this point due to everything. Not a fun person to be around, that's for sure. I'm not going to do anything drastic until I talk to the doctor monday am.

Thanks for the kind words ladies. I will keep you posted. I appreciate your understanding.
Unread 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Sharpie, I can sympathize with you. I had "montlies" that would last anywhere from 2-9 weeks at a time, with a 2 week break at most before it would come back again! I was scheduled to take over a position at my work that would have required me to take a 4 week course when I was told a hysterectomy was about the only option left for me, since the hormone therapy was making me violently ill and we had tried everything else. I finally decided that my health had to come first, and my employer was very supportive in that decision.
My point, I would call the office of the school and ask what can be done, because really, this is a medical necessity and if they are reputable, then they should work with you to allow you to finish the course.
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks to all the ladies and their kind replies/advice. I am back from the surgeon's office. The good news is my pathology was cancer free - the bad news is it is still fairly inconclusive. Why so much endomitrial growth? She suspects adenomyosis.

I am off for an MRI next Tuesday at 2am! I appreciate that she is so supportive and active in diagnosing me. No "wait and see" attitude. She also agrees that the progestin is killing my quality of life. We cannot back off it yet (or I will hemorage again) but she is confident that I need surgery to end this.

Amazingly, the first question she asked me was "when is your final?" What a memory! I expect my family to remember this is important to me, but my surgeon remembering? Incredible! I will stay on Aygenstin until surgery - May 15th - AFTER my final. I will have a TAH - due to my physiology, I am not a candidate for DaVinci or VH. I suspected this from my own research, and she wants to evaluate my c-section scars and any possible adhesions as well to see if anything there is contributing.

So, I'm crying as I type this, partly from hormones, partly from aprehension and partly from relief. I will continue to troll here because I have never seen such a wealth of support and information on any topic as there is at HysterSisters! I felt so comfortable at the doc's appointment because I knew the terminology from my research here. I feel very informed and comfortable that I am making good decisions. Now If I could only stop crying all the time.
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Sounds like you went full circle on this and came to a good spot. You have a ton of stuff going on right now, your hormones are everywhere, and you must be weak from all the blood loss.

All I can say is take it slow. Hugs to you.
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Sharpie,

I am so glad all this worked out for you. It really helps to have a surgeon you can trust and talk to. It is amazing she remembers all that information. It shows how much she cares. Now you can relax a little before your final, and prepare for that. The 2 am MRI, is crazy! I would not be at 2 am for nothing . They would have to admit me the night before and i'll sleep through it. If you do have adenomyosis you will feel so much better after your surgery, as I do. My doctor's did not know that is what I had till I had my hysterectomy. I am glad I did, although I am having a harder recovery then expected or hoped. Just take it easy and you have a little bit of time to prepare for the surgery. This is a great website and I do not know what I would have done without all these women. I have learned so much and feel better about myself because of these women. Keep us informed as you get closer to the big day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register