Confused?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Confused??

I had my pre-op today and I left confused! My surgery is on October 8th. And I am having robotic assisted hysterectomy. I am keeping my ovaries but getting the rest removed. My pre-op consisted of my doctor coming in, asking if I had questions and I did. He answered them very fast. I asked him about driving... He said oh when you feel like it you can start. I asked about work and he suggests only taking a week off work? Wow. And then he said its outpatient and he made it sound like I could do everything I normally do right after. He said I won't have a lifting restrictions? What should I think about this? And after my questions he told me to sign a paper saying it's ok to take out my uterus and that was all. I don't know what to think now?? I do have a desk job but also do a lot of walking and sometimes lifting things.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Re: Confused??

I am 6 days from my surgery and there is no way I can drive yet, let alone work. Also my lifting restriction is 10lbs. I can't say your dr is wrong, but it certainly doesn't follow what my dr said. If your not sure, I would really try to talk to him again and get some straight answers. This is a pretty rough surgery even with the robot and I am actually doing very well. I would try to get things straight before going forward for your own peace of mind.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM

I also had davinci and I have had an amazing recovery! Since immediate post op at the hospital. Now remember...every dr is different, and every patient is different. That being said...

My dr advised me to stay the night. Every pre op nurse suggested the same. I begged my dr to let me go home the same day. He said it was completely dependant on how I did during surgery. Since my husband and I were both ok with it, and I woke up from surgery feeling pretty much great, I was allowed to go home. But only because I wanted. I was admitted and placed in a room as if I would be spending the night.

About the driving, my dr told me if I was on pain meds, absolutely NO driving. He also suggested I wait at least a week. I didn't drive until about a week and a half later and even that was tough. It is hard sitting for too log. He told me to take only short drives for now.

My dr told me he would not release me to work until at least after my first checkup (which I have next week at 3 weeks post op). And even then he said probably not until 4-6. If I feel able he said he would consider as long as everything internally is healing as well. I am just about 2 weeks out and I can tell you I am NOT ready to go back to work. Keep in mind again, I have had a GREAT recovery.

Regarding lifting....DON'T! You will have had major surgery. Sure there is only 4 little incisions on he outside, but your insides will have been taken out. Sutures are in there healing. I am on complete NO lifting restriction. AND he said...if I do go back to work early like 4 weeks, NO lifting.

I'm really sorry this is so long. I sure hope you have a surgeon you love and trust. Or at least get another opinion. You have that right. I have done everything my dr said, and I have rested everyday with little walks, and I have no regrets. Have not bled once, used about 5 percocets only. Ibuprofen works just fine because I'm not doing too much. And I've had perfect healing on all four incisions. I know if I would have overdone it i may not have had such a great outcome. I really hope you get some further answers. You listen to your body and give yourself the time you need to heal. Good luck honey. Thinking of you.

Ps...just read your post to my husband and he can't believe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoangel View Post
I had my pre-op today and I left confused! My surgery is on October 8th. And I am having robotic assisted hysterectomy. I am keeping my ovaries but getting the rest removed. My pre-op consisted of my doctor coming in, asking if I had questions and I did. He answered them very fast. I asked him about driving... He said oh when you feel like it you can start. I asked about work and he suggests only taking a week off work? Wow. And then he said its outpatient and he made it sound like I could do everything I normally do right after. He said I won't have a lifting restrictions? What should I think about this? And after my questions he told me to sign a paper saying it's ok to take out my uterus and that was all. I don't know what to think now?? I do have a desk job but also do a lot of walking and sometimes lifting things.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Janie
Sounds a bit strange to me. I had a robotic hysterectomy keeping the ovaries, and the advice was pretty much the same as for those that had normal laproscopic surgery.
Just because it is robotic, - it is still the same operation with the same internal stitches etc.
My surgeon explained that it is easier for him to do the operation via robotic, and it can mean less internal bruising - but basically it is the same operation.
He told me no 'sex' for 8 weeks, no driving for 2-3 weeks, no heavy lifing till about 6 weeks and as for work - well I think at least two weeks off (for some people) but I didn't feel up to it until about 6 weeks.
It was not day surgery, I had to (as per what I thought was standard) stay in two nights, the first night I had a catheter for urine (as you can't get up) and leg inflation devices to prevent post-op blood clots. I thought these things were stock standard?
Then an occupational therapist comes to make sure you can walk, and handle stairs for when u get home.

I don't want to panic you, but I would get another opinion if you are able to, or go back to your normal GP and ask them if they think this is a bit rushed and unprofessional.
Much better to go into this operation feeling that the surgeon is on the same wavelength as you. This is still major surgery - common but major. Good luck...
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Honestly, I'd find a different doctor. The one you have is unlikely to be very responsive if you have pain or any complications. His cavalier attitude is disturbing.

I had a very easy recovery but that was because I followed doctor's orders and got plenty of rest. I could drive after a week but there is no way I could have returned to work at two weeks. Lifting restrictions are very important as you could cause yourself real harm if you lifted anything heavy and the fact that he doesn't caution against this is alarming.

The surgery is generally outpatient but that means a hospital stay of less than 24 hours. Some women go home the same day but most remain overnight.

Please seek a second opinion and find a doctor who truly cares about your recovery.
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:32 PM

I just had my visit too, and when discussing work I said I was planning on being off (as in completely unavailable, pretend I'm on another planet) for at least a week and then resuming remote work as I feel up to it and plan on being home for 3-4 weeks and she said that sounded reasonable.

I wouldn't be doing this if I felt I needed to be ready to return to work in a week. That's a lot of pressure to heal on a time table that's just not doable for a lot of us.

I also am very concerned about the no lifting restrictions - he seems to be taking a very casual attitude to this which I don't understand. You deserve to have honest and thoughtful answers to your questions and if you don't feel you're getting that perhaps another doctor is the way to go?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register