Morphine-anesthesia- does it make everyone sick? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine-anesthesia- does it make everyone sick? Morphine-anesthesia- does it make everyone sick?

Unread 12-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Morphine-anesthesia- does it make everyone sick?

I am really concerned about feeling sick in the recovery room afterward due to the anesthesia and /or the morphine. I know that there are anti nausea medications you can ask for. However, my doctor will not prescribe it unless I start to feel sick. I have only had anesthesia once before for a LEEP procedure. It did not make me feel sick. Do a lot of women experience the nausea after a hysterectomy? If so, how long does it last before they can calm it down with medication? I have fears of waking up in the recovery room shaking and vomiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 10:37 AM

I has no problems at all with nausea afterwards. I had never had a surgery before and wished that they had let me keep that morphine.
Unread 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM

no i wasnt sick at all, i asked for an anti emetic and they gave it me either before or after the surgery cant remember now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM

I tend to get sick with each surgery I've had. I always tell them that I will " ralph up" big time...so be aware. This last time I guess they didn't take me serious, different hospital this time, and lordy I was a Puke Princess.....guess I showed them I knew what I was taking about.

Anyhoo....ended up getting bronchial pneumonia from aspirating some of the " junk" back into my lungs. So...if you think you may get sick...make sure you mention it and that they undrestand your concerns. Tell everyone, nurses, OR room staff...make sure they know.
Unread 12-31-2004, 11:04 AM

I was concerned about this, too, but I wasn't sick at all after recovery. When I finally came to, it took me some time to realize I was even awake. A nurse was feeding me ice chips, and I was shivering violently, but I wasn't cold. She asked me if I was cold, and I remember telling her I was cold, but mostly just disoriented. I remember feeling really dumb and probably said some really dumb or unintelligent things. They wrapped me up in hot blankets. The nurses came in and put Demoral right into my IV after surgery whenever I asked for it. When they took me off Demoral and gave me percoset, that is when nausea set in. I puked my guts out, and it was horrible. Lortab worked, though, and so that is what I was sent home with.

Being nervous is normal, but I think you will find it will be much better than you expect. My situation was not an emergency, and b/c I have children, not heartbreaking. My heart aches for the ladies on here who have had to do this to save their life or to end years and years of pain and suffering. I was expecting the worst, but for the most part, this has been a piece of cake. I have gotten tons of great info from this site!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
Unread 12-31-2004, 11:13 AM

DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR AND ASK FOR 'ZOFRAN' AHEAD OF TIME. I GET REALLY SICK FROM ANESTHESIA AND MORPHINE AND I HAD THE ZOFRAN AHEAD OF TIME AND NOT ONE BIT OF NAUSEA. IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE OTHER ANTI-NAUSEA DRUGS...BUT WELL WORTH IT!! GOOD LUCK!
Unread 12-31-2004, 11:25 AM

I felt sick and told them I'm gonna toss...and quickly I was given something that made it pass in an hour or so. That was a time of itching from the morphine and going in and out of sleep so it's something that I hardly remember.

The Anesthesiologist will talk to you prior to surgery, just tell him, "I get sick easily, please give me something prior to waking up." Hopefully he will, if not the doctor will have standing orders for the nurses.

Don't let this be something that prevents you from having surgery. The fear of it can be more disturbing than doing it and chances are that you won't.
Happy New Year!
Maralyn
Unread 12-31-2004, 12:29 PM

Morphine doesn't make me sick to my stomach, but it does tend to make me itch, which is pretty easily remedied by Benadryl or something similar.

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-31-2004, 12:39 PM

I dont remember the morphine making me ill....I dont think I ate anything in the hospital...was there 7 days. It did make me itch, so they gave me benadryl, which helped the itching.

You might want to discuss your concerns w/your doc and the anesthesioligist...there are medications they can give w/fewer side effects.

Good luck and
Unread 12-31-2004, 01:35 PM

Hi. I never had any problems with the anasthesia but the morphine was awful. I asked for something other than morphine but I guess the word didn't get passed on. Actually I asked that they didn't give me any narcotic pain pump - I was told that I would absolutely need the pain medication. When I was immediately out of surgery a nurse said "push this button". I was immediately sick. They changed the pain killer right away but I didn't push the button again anyway. I didn't need the narcotic pain killer. After that I just had IV administered antiinflamatory medicine. I only told the preop nurse that I didn't want the morphine. I should have told my doc. Tell everyone around you if you don't want the morphine. There are other meds. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register