No stupid questions? Is this one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No stupid questions? Is this one? No stupid questions? Is this one?

Unread 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM
No stupid questions? Is this one?

Ok, so no question is stupid. But I am totally clueless about this. I am scheduled jan. 11 for a TAH and Dr. says ovaries look good and are planning on keeping them. I am 43 so hopefully have many years of use left.
So here's the question. Do you still have PMS, where does the egg go, are the ovaries just floating? I have no idea and pre op appt. is not until a few days before surgery. So maybe someone out there could help me out. I feel so clueless about it, it pretty funny!

Having TAH due to enlarged uterus, large mass (most likely fibroid), keeping ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Not a stupid question!

I asked the same thing - okay.....so where does the egg go? Does it just float into your belly? From what I was told, that is pretty much what happens. It dies and is reabsorbed into the body. The ovary/tube set-up is (I think?) suspended by ligaments so it stays right where it is supposed to be.

You theoretically have the same hormonal cycle as before, just no period. I had one cycle before my second surgery, and it was much like before, but it leaves you going "and....?".

Now every day is about the same because of the HRT, which is equally strange! Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 12-22-2006, 03:36 PM

jbeemer has it right I think. I'm going to ask again when I see my dr. on the 27th as I have kept one ovary and I'm wondering too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2006, 03:52 PM

I had thought about the ovaries, myself. Wondering, like firstmate did, if they are just kinda floating around...good to know I'm not the only weirdo! j/k!
Unread 12-22-2006, 04:05 PM

We have the same surgery date. From what my doctor told me, the ovaries are on a different blood supply and are held by other ligaments. So if not removed they remain untouched. The uterus is seperated from the
tubes. Now what my question is, does the tubes just
dangle around inside. LOL I guess no question is too
stupid.
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:20 PM

I have had 2 cycles since my TVH (both ovaries still there). For the first few weeks I did nothing but sob and have anxiety attacks. Kind of like supersonic PMS. What the? Asked the gyno who said it could take 2-3 cycles for hormones to get back to normal as sometimes they go into "shock" after surgery and don't work (like my poor unfortunate bowel), so therefore you're in a semi, temporary state of menopause. Every thing seems to have settled down and last cycle I had the old familiar PMS. My partner was terribly confused and to why as I am now missing the "M" part of PMS!
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:52 PM

Well hopefully this thread will get some more answers to the ? .... I am so glad I'm not the only one to wonder what happens after. It's one of those questions I thought about and then DH asked me and I was like... ahhhh. My PMS now is mostly in control due to exercise and no longer eating junk food. This past month was a killer with stress about surgery and holidays. But I have lost 42 lbs this year, and hubby dropped 25 lb. But this X Mas I'm not passing up the cookies!
So curious about how my body will change after surgery. No more passing up trips on our boat, shopping, or weekend get aways. And are the werid aches, bloated tummy, and low engery (due to anemia which I just found out) going to go away? Scary and hopeful at the same time. Merry Christmas .
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:57 PM

I did have a TAH kept ovaries and cervix, 11 months ago.

The egg is still released and absorbed in the body.

PMS...we are all different. For me, month one thru three, minor twinges, nothing like before. Munchies uncontralable, just like before and still tired at menstrual cycle. Months four, five and six. Munchies subsided, no twinges and still tired. From there on sympton free.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register