Wondering about getting active again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering about getting active again Wondering about getting active again

Unread 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Wondering about getting active again

Wow is this a great forum. I've had my surgery scheduled since Summer but really haven't thought about it til the beginning of this week as it's getting closer. (Dec. 12). Thank goodness for the holidays and my hobby to keep me busy otherwise I think I would go a little crazy with worry. I'm noticing I'm getting more and more nervous as the date gets closer esp. since this is my first surgery EVER. Had 2 kids totally naturally with no use of meds during and after the kids. So this whole hospital stuff is totally foreign to me. Now after being diagnosed with fibroids for the last 2 years and dealing with them huge periods I think it's time. I'm esp looking forward to being able to NOT feel my uterus through my stomach wall!!! (they are really big). Reading this site has been a big help. I first want to thank each and every one of you who are sharing. I hope to plan to do the same as I take this adventure with all of you. I guess my biggest worry right now is my recovery time. As mentioned above, my hobby keeps me really busy. I am a runner. I have run competitively most of last year and all of this year. My hope for 2012 was to run the Chicago Marathon. Now I'm wondering if I'll be even able to run by summer or if I will want too.... :-( I'm reading about all the hormone problems and I really don't want my personality to change. I hope to keep my ovaries but the Doc says she will make that call when she's in there. Am I worrying for nothing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Re: Wondering about getting active again

Hi Mary Jo

I can relate to what you are saying. I am a bit of a fitness fanatic too. I can't see any reason why we would not be able to get back into our routines once we have healed correctly. I have resolved myself to the fact that I may lose a little fitness but to be honest my condition has been impacting on my running lately anyway (sore backs, fatigue)

So I am looking at this as an opportunity to improve my general well being and come back stronger than ever. But I will be doing it sensibly. The healing is a short part of our future. We have (god willing) many years to run..

Good luck with it all
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM

No, you aren't worrying for nothing.

I had all kinds of concerns and worries before my surgery.

I do suggest talking to your doctor again and being very specific about those concerns..........running & hormones, etc.

You have apparently made the decision to have this done. The consequences will still be there no matter when you have it done. That will not change...............recovery time, hormones, fatigue, soreness.......

I will say, I put off making my decision for many years because I loved lifting weights. I didn't want to be "out of commission" for "x" amount of months. Guess what happened. My fibroids tripled in size within a 2 1/2 month period for no reason and I had no choice but have it done..................AND since it got sooo big, I had to have TAH.......vertical incision to get it out. If I'd only done it years before..................

Just my .2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM

I started running in March of this year. A 49 year old beginner I am 7 days post op & plan to get out & at least walk in the morning. I can truly feel the difference in hsving the fibroids removed with the uterus. Hoping to do 1/2 marathon in April in Springfield IL. Good luck on your surgery & recovery. Please do talk over your concerns with your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register