Question(s) about Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question(s) about Post Op Question(s) about Post Op

Unread 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Question(s) about Post Op

I've had a few people tell me to make a list so that's what I'm doing to prepare. But I have a few questions. One is I live in a townhouse and my bedroom and shower are both upstairs, but will I be able to go up and downstairs, or should I be planning to make a sleep space in my downstairs? Also how hard will showering be after surgery? Is there anything I should know about recovery that the Dr or nurses didn't explain. Just wondering and trying to be as prepared as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Re: Question(s) about Post Op

You'll want to check with our dr about the stairs. I was restricted to one trip a day for the first week and told to limit tips for the next week. Before you start up or down, you'll want to make sure you are steady on your feet and/or have an extra hand there in case. I had a few days where I had some dizzy spells and was afraid to hit the stairs alone. I've been known to trip on a flat surface.
As for the shower, I was told it was allowed immediately. I didn't feel like showering until my third day. Warm water, not hot. I know hot and steamy sounds the best, but it will suck all your energy out and might make you lightheaded. You might feel safer if there's someone within yelling distance if you need an extra hand for the first few days. Just depending on how you feel. My husband was more than happy to strip down and take the first shower with me. Even though I didn't feel anywhere near sexy, it gave me a little girly boost.

Not sure what you have been told by your dr and nurses, but feel free to ask all the questions you want. There's usually someone that can help.
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM

I echo GiGi501!!
Showering was okay but didn't do it without someone close by the first week or so. For the first two weeks, I know I didn't feel like doing too many stairs. I wasn't restricted from my doctor, but it just didn't feel good to do at first on those pelvic muscles etc. You might want to consider having a downstairs area for the first couple of weeks and then as your getting stronger move back upstairs. That way your showering is the only time you have to do the stairs. I hope you have a 1/2 bath on the lower level for bathroom time, that would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Hi miz.ladyb, I actually slept downstairs in my family room. I wad limited to basically using the steps once a day, which I used to shower. I have a half bath om my first floor and that was very helpful. I had np problems showering, but it was draining in the beginning.

You'll need to restrict your bending, pulling, pushing and lifting. It'll be a good idea to have a pillow for the ride home
to put between you and the seatbelt. It's an uncomfortable ride and it helps some.
Look in the hysterectomy checkpoints section, you'll find recovery broken down into weeks giving you a reasonable expectation of where you'll be at each stage. You'll also find a list of pre op and post op questions that you may find helpful when talking to your doctor. They don't always fill us in with all of the things that we need to know
Hope this was helpful

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register