Learned something new about keeping vs removing cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Learned something new about keeping vs removing cervix Learned something new about keeping vs removing cervix

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:58 PM
Learned something new about keeping vs removing cervix

My apologies up front about the bluntness of this post, but sometimes there's just no other way to ask the question...

So here I was thinking I was going to be better off having the LAVH because of a possible shorter recovery time. Which may still be true, but I had no idea that I would have to have my cervix removed going that route until I read Miss Emma's post to someone else about this issue. I'm not overly concerned about having my cervix removed, as I've had more than my share of abnormal pap smears with pre-cancerous cells, etc. What I'm concerned about is sex! How is sex without your cervix?? I guess I should say here that I enjoy sex very, very much. My doctor and I had the discussion about sexual pleasure and orgasms stemming from deep vaginal penetration versus clitoral stimulation. Thank goodness, I fall into the latter category BUT I still would like very much to know how sex compares before and after removal of your cervix. It just seems such an odd concept for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 08:21 PM

I think it depends on how much you enjoy *having* a cervix in the first place. Mine was very tender (OK, painful!) and didn't help me at all in the sex department. Glad to see it go. Sex has been wonderful since. And I think I'd put myself in the former of your two categories. Of course, some women find their cervix enhances sex for them - if you feel that way you might feel like "something's missing" if you have it removed.

Other reasons *for* having it out, if you're writing your pros/cons list:
- Reduced (but not zero) chance of cervical cancer.
- The little bugger can *cramp*. I didn't even think about this beforehand. A pleasant surprise I discovered post-hyst is that I can take cool showers on hot days now, without any cramping.
- Some women experience monthly spotting with their cervix. I think if I had a hyst and still had spotting I'd just cry.

On the "reasons to keep it" side, some doctors say keeping it helps to hold everything in place. A lot of other factors come into play - how many kids you've had, prolapse problems, etc. And some doctors say it doesn't make any difference. Just something to bring up with your doc.
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:26 PM

Thanks very much for sharing your perspective, Linda!! It really helps so much to hear from those who have experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 09:35 PM

I think my cervix just got in the way. Things have been better without it.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:44 PM
Cervix

Well I have to agree with Kaatie. I am now 14 weeks post from a LAVH/RSO and can now say after being back into the swing of things that no way do I miss my cervix, sex infact is far better now than it ever has been. I had years of abnormal paps etc and it was great to know that it is now not with me anymore. I am still to have pap smears every two years but hey no where near the chancesof any bad results now that the cervix is no longer there. I also reccomend the LAVH way of doing Hysts. Good luck hugs Vicki
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:37 PM
The cervix thing

I am a labor and delivery nurse. The sole purpose of your cervix is to provide a door for a fetus to come through. If you have no uterus, no need for cervix. The cancer issue is an important one. The cervix is about the size of a coat button. It is the dead end wall to your vagina. When you have your hyst, you will be stitched up and a new dead end will be there. Just about the same texture. DH shouldn't feel a difference.

I am opting to have mine removed because of long family history of cervical, uterine and ovarian cancer.

Remember, there is no wrong decision, only personal ones.

God bless you all.
Unread 12-28-2001, 10:55 PM

Wow, the size of a coat button? I can feel mine very easily and its half the length of my vagina and pretty thick. Anyone else that way?
Unread 12-29-2001, 03:14 AM

Thank you for asking that Cindy.I'm one week post op.I had a cancer issue so I did not think twice about removing it and it bothered me.But, I was sure wandering now that I have nothing to do but think.Thank you Horsewoman and Shelly Belly.
Unread 12-29-2001, 09:29 PM

sex is way better without it for me, and that is the truth. good luck and take it easy. 3rd day starts getting better
Unread 12-29-2001, 10:21 PM

Hello Cindy
I feel that sex is much better without a cervix, because I don't have to worry about bleeding getting in the way. I have heard that if you keep your cervix you could have mini periods.
Take Care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register