Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 88 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Glad everyone is doing well - I'm physically getting stronger all the time - and pretty much do all that I did before surgery - I still get swelly belly when I do something I probably shouldn't, but at this point, if I don't do it, no one is going to - and I can't stand the pig sty my house has become! I've been back at work full time for six weeks, and I'm tired at the end of the week, but can finally make it through full days without feeling like I really need a nap about 3pm LOL...

I have an appointment with my GP the 18th, I just feel not like myself - I can't tell if it's hormonal or what - but I need to do something - I'm biting everyone's heads off, teary all the time, it's driving me crazy! My metabolism is totally screwed up - I was losing weight before my surgery, but now it doesn't matter what I do - the scales haven't moved since two weeks after surgery - I'm living on veggies and walking five miles a day (during the week - I were a pedometer at work) and on the weekends I'm doing 2 - 3, plus three times a week, I'm either walking on the treadmill or spending 45 minutes of my lunch break on the eliptical at work.... I've cut out the caffeine/soda, and stick to water - I just don't know what else to do - but my weight isn't helping my moods at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM

I was wondering if I was the only one to still get swelly belly when I do too much but I guess not! I didn't even think about it and picked up a 60lb bag of masonry sand the other day and immediately felt a bit of a pull in one spot. It scared me but I'm sure by now it is ok. The next day we went fishing and walked quite a ways and later that day not only was my belly a bit bigger but me feet were too! Now what is up with that???
Unread 09-03-2007, 05:32 PM

Chris, You could be sending your body into protection mode. You need to eat to lose weight. Like every two hours, just a little, like grapes or yogurt, carrots. But your body thinks is starving and slows down your metabolism so that you don't starve..I am not sure I am explaining it right, but maybe you could look into it online, and hyster s. also has a forum devoted to weight loss..J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 11:06 PM

Cissy- I am having the same weight issues, and am getting really frustrated. I found myself caving to old patterns because I was so depressed about my weight.

The hormonla thing tkaes awhile, I actually started HRT's in the hospital and the mood swings are FINALLY getting stable. And last night I actually slept for 5 straight hours. I was thrilled!!!

The swelly belly makes me laugh, hadn't heard it referred to it but that makes sense. Some days my pants don't fit and the next day they are to big. ANd yesterday I pulled something and my incision scar has a red raw pucker spot. And then it goes back to the weight loss issues and its just a big vicious cycle.

At least when I'm at work, I am distracted with other people's "stuff."

Loosing my mind,
K-
Unread 09-04-2007, 08:12 AM

As for swelly belly, that's something we can all expect to keep happening for many months to come. In fact, it can take up to a year to completely get rid of and feel back to "normal" again. Six weeks is the timeframe doctors give us to return to work (most of us work because we have to for financial reasons, not because we necessarily want to), but it is NOT an indication of when the body is finished recovering. Seriously, it can take up to a year for the healing to finish and the normalcy to return, so anyone lifting 60-lb. bags of anything is jeopardizing their recovery. There is still so much internal healing going on that can be set back by overdoing it long before your body is physically capable of handling such a load.

I was at work and had a couple of stacked chairs to put away. I picked up them, carried them into storage feeling fine while carrying them, and it wasn't until I was walking away that I felt that telltale cramp in my gut that let me know I shouldn't have carried them. I'm not a wimp or a wuss or anything and used to carry around sheets of plywood without a ton of effort, but not right now! I am in NO WAY willing to develop adhesions or tears and create a whole new reason to land myself back under the knife!

So, ladies, I encourage you to take your time and get a grip on the reality that is our health. Listen to the cues your body is giving you, and while I don't encourage being lazy and doing nothing (exercise is critical to healing), I AM saying be careful and take it easy. The time we give ourselves now to complete the healing process will ensure good health and longevity later!

Best wishes to all my sistas!
Unread 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM

ScrubsFan,
Thanks for pointing that out yet again. I, like others here, keep thinking that I am healed and need to "get on with it" and I feel stupid if I don't try to do things that are normal. Honestly, I didn't even think about moving that 60 lb bag but there is still a sore spot (kind of like a bruise) and I also notice that my whole lower abdomen is sore so obviously I'm not ready to do those things. It is embarrassing for other people to see me still babying myself and it prompts them to ask questions that I feel silly answering. I guess my options are to take care of myself or feel silly - I'll take silly!
Thanks again and I'm so glad we still have this place where people understand.
Unread 09-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Desiree, How are the meds working? Have you noticed a difference yet?

Do any of you still get that "I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open" feeling? I had that today and I honestly could not stay awake. I finally took a 20 minute nap and it helped a little but I still felt like I could sleep another 10 hours. Ugh, when will this go away?

I was surprised to see that I can still get the swelly belly if I over do it. (I was stupid and picked up a 60 lb bag of sand.) Anyone else having that? Honestly I didn't even think about it but I guess I need to put my caution thinking cap back on!
Unread 09-04-2007, 11:26 PM

I agree with North49 and thank Scrubs fan.

I to sometimes feel guilty and step up to do stuff I shouldn't. I need to listen to my body and everyone here and start taking care of me and let my body heal fully.

Thanks for the support!!!
Unread 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Hey there ladies~~glad to hear lots of you are "getting there" on your recovery road--some sooner that others. Next week is my 3 month out mark and i plan to hit the gym for a starter. It's been quite a while and some of the girls i used to see there may not recognize me since its been so long! But i can say i that now i forget i've had surgery -- and must try to remember when i get to doing those usual things around the house! got DS off to college 2 wks ago and "not thinking" probably lifted way too many things and trying to pack the car filling every ounce of space. No pain afterwards but mostly worried about it---have to keep reminding self --its hard tho b/c i feel totally normal and back to 100%. We'll see if i can say that after doing a few cardio machines next week !
No sleep probs, no joint pains, no belly pains, no fuzzy brain---is this normal for 3 months out ??? Also went on a long road trip (7hrs one way) to 40th hi school reunion and no probs even on bumpy roads--had a blast -- had hard time recognizing some of those classmates tho!
Unread 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Oopsies! Sorry about that ladies! Princess Bea Well closed the wrong thread!

Carry on!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register