Ok when does the insomnia go away? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok when does the insomnia go away? Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Unread 01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Are you on hrt? It was when I started on hrt (estrogen, progesterone) and melatonin and 5-htp that I began sleeping through the night. I don't know anything about NutraSleep (what is in it)? Melatonin is a natural product that is made in your body and maybe you are lacking. 5-htp is a natural relaxer that also aids in depression. Sometimes all the medicines they give you during surgery can cause sleep issues, takes a while to get out of your system. Hang in there it should get better. But I would nap whenever possible because your body does need rest in order to heal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM

NutraSleep is a combo of vitamins, minerals, etc. It has nightcap and valerium (?) and a few other tings in it. I took it last night, but a little too late. It says to take between 2 and 4. I took 2, and it definately relaxed me, but didn't put me to sleep. I'll try 3 tonight. When I woke up 2 hours after falling asleep I was really dizzy sleepy, and fell back asleep easily. So maybe that will work. I am not on HRT, and don't want to be, but I think that the loss of one ovary effected my hormones enough to be messing with sleep...
Unread 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks!! I'll try your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM

I am 7 1/2 months post op and still have nights when I am up until 4 am.....that is usually when I close the restaurant...I get out around midnight but and wound up.....I have a script for ambiem, but it doesn't really work all the time,
Unread 01-26-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm afraid to try Ambiem. That's the one they say causes sleepwalking/driving. I might drive myself to another state. LOL Seriously, though, I've had this insomnia for about 2 or three years. It was off and on until i had the TAH/BSO. Now it's worse. I'm hoping that once I get more active during the day it won't be so bad but I'm doubting it by your 7 1/2 mo. post op insomnia. I'm just glad that lots of others have it too.....wait, that's not what I meant....LOL I'm glad that I'm not the only one and that hearing from my HysterSisters help a lot!! I love you gals!!
Unread 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Last night I took 2 Advil PM's and then one hour later I took Melatonin, still up most of the night, had 2 really bad night sweat attacks!!!
Unread 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlady
Last night I took 2 Advil PM's and then one hour later I took Melatonin, still up most of the night, had 2 really bad night sweat attacks!!!
I am so sorry. I totally feel your pain of no sleep. It takes time to balance the system. I am still taking lunesta. I am trying to cut it in 3/4 in hopes to eventually get off it. I take melatonin 3mg earlier in the evening and then my lunesta right before going to bed. I am sleeping a little better. But wake up a few hours later. I have been learning to meditate to help me fall back to sleep.
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:53 AM

I've tried Ambien, Rozerem, melatonin/valerian, hypnosis, tylenol PM and now Lunesta.

Of all of them, Lunesta seems to work the best, last night was my third night on it and I got about 6.5 hours sleep, which is better than I've gotten in weeks. I still have to take Advil for pain at night, and before the lunesta I got 4-5 hours sleep a night, so it's just a little bit more sleep but it makes a big difference. Before surgery I was getting about 7 hours sleep a night.

As for the rest of them: Ambien made me too depressed, rozerem just didn't work, melatonin/valerian made me sick, and tylenol PM works but I'm groggy until noon the next day.

Lunesta is expensive but I need sleep to be functional at work, I'll pay the price for a few months until my body gets used to less estrogen.
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:05 PM

They gave me Ambien when I was in the hospital once for another reason. I was on complete bedrest, and using a bedpan at that point. Anyhow, the Ambien made me have crazy dreams, and I ended up sleep walking (the first time I've evern done this.) I ripped out my IV, blood pressure, etc, then got tangled up in all my cords. I woke up crying and peeing all over the floor. It was horrible. Never again. Now I'm scared to try the rest.
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm going to the doc tomorrow, I think I'll ask her for Lunesta instead. If she puts me on some type of HRT for the menopause symptoms, will that help with the insomnia? I'm having anxiety about going to bed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register