Not Scheduled Keep cervix or not? Backpacker | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep cervix or not? Backpacker Keep cervix or not? Backpacker

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Keep cervix or not? Backpacker

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow with this question, but I'm hoping that someone with my similar question is out there to give me their first-hand experience. All similar threads at hystersisters are so old that I can't reply to them so I'm having to start a new one, I guess.

I love to backpack. Although I'm heading towards ultralight, my multi-day pack can still be 30 lbs, max. I also mountain bike over rough terrain (but nothing crazy - no stunt riding). I also do tons of heavy, sweating, grunting yardwork. What I want to know is if keeping the cervix is better for me when I'm carrying heavy loads (and swinging the pack onto my back) or bumping over rocks on my bike. Anyone out there who had this similar sitch and have any personal experience to provide? If I have my cervix removed and end up not being able to backpack again or haul around 40 lb bags of soil, just kill me now.

The "big O" issue wrt cervix doesn't factor into it at all. I don't get orgasms during sex, but since I still enjoy the act with my BF, it's not the be-all, end-all dealbreaker. My concern is all about structural integrity and if it is absolutely necessary for my outdoor lifestyle and hobbies.

If any hystersister backpackers can enlighten me about their experience, I'd appreciate it! Did you have your cervix removed and have no problems? The hyst is gonna happen, because I can't stand feeling like crap 3 weeks out of 4 anymore and bleeding buckets. I dealt with it during my Grand Canyon backpack (you can't just "reschedule" a Grand Canyon backcountry trip!) and it was a pain in the butt!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Re: Keep cervix or not? Backpacker

There is no way to predict who will suffer from prolapse and there is no medical evidence that removing the cervix leads to a high rate of prolapse. You should talk to your doctor, of course, but otherwise the decision is up to you.

I was happy to be rid of mine and not risk having mini periods. My doctor says the rate for these is much higher than the commonly quoted 5-10% oft quoted on this site. I gave birth to three 9 pound babies and had no problems after that so I have no reason to believe I'll have prolapse down the road.
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Re: Keep cervix or not? Backpacker

I'm assuming you are in good shape given how active you are and this means you likely have some strong ligaments your doc can use to create your cuff. That's what my doc was able to do with me and although I'm only 9 weeks now I can already tell I'll be fine. You do need to restrict your activity and lifting while you are healing for at least 3 months, and still be careful after that. It takes up to a year to heal fully.
There is no evidence that removal of the cervix will lead to prolapse any more than keeping it will. It really is a personal choice. I'm happy I had mine removed since like you I had serious issues and have had enough.
It's very freeing never having to worry about even a mini period and severe cramping anymore.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register