Upcoming surgery 1/15: Pelvic Organ Prolapse after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery 1/15: Pelvic Organ Prolapse after hysterectomy? Upcoming surgery 1/15: Pelvic Organ Prolapse after hysterectomy?

Unread 12-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Upcoming surgery 1/15: Pelvic Organ Prolapse after hysterectomy?

I haven’t heard much talk of pelvic organ prolapse following a hysterectomy. How common is this? For this who have experienced this, can it ever be completely resolved where you feel like you did before surgery? I’ve read about some needing surgery for pelvic organ prolapse and many who experience it don’t require surgery. However, I didn’t know if that means they just have to live with it because it isn’t significant enough to warrant surgery? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Re: Pelvic Organ Prolapse

Hi SpecialK8 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I lost everything - uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries - over 9 year ago and I have not had any prolapse issues. Prolapse is not a given with this surgery. Here are articles that may provide information:
Hysterectomy, Cervix, and Pelvic Organ Support
10 Risk Factors for Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP)
15 Surprising Facts about the Pelvic Floor

We also have a library of Pelvic Floor Articles which you are welcome to peruse.

Your doctor may be able to give you a better idea of your risk factors, given your specific situation.

Unread 12-23-2020, 09:57 PM

That’s reassuring. I’m really scared about this surgery and the more I read or hear about possible problems post-surgery, the more my anxiety is heightened about it all. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2020, 10:00 PM
Re: Pelvic Organ Prolapse

Dear SpecialK8:

marestail gave some good links above for further educating yourself If you are diagnosed with prolapse "before" your hysterectomy, you may be more at risk to develop it again sometime post-hysterectomy. Depending on the stage of prolapse, the patient may decide the symptoms don't warrant surgical intervention.

Ultimately, you will decide on hysterectomy (or other treatment) based on the knowledge that you have available at the time you make the decision. We can't predict what will happen in the future. Kudos to you for asking lots of questions and gathering data.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 12-23-2020, 10:08 PM

I don’t have prolapse and if possible, would love to avoid that following surgery. However, it sounds like there’s only so much that can be done to avoid that and there’s no guarantee whether this will or will not happen to me. I appreciate your feedback.
Unread 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM

I was also concerned prior to my hysterectomy as I am a runner and dreaded the thought of not being able to run post-surgery. Control what you can by following your doc’s orders after surgery as it’s super important to avoid stress to the pelvic during your recovery weeks. When you get clearance from your doc to do pelvic exercises, gradually ease into them to help strengthen those pelvic muscles and reduce the risk of prolapse. Good luck, it sounds like most people don’t get a prolapse so the odds should be in your favor.
Unread 01-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Re: Upcoming surgery 1/15: Pelvic Organ Prolapse after hysterectomy?

Hi, I had a hysterectomy in 2009 due to uterine and bladder prolapse. In 2013 I developed an enterocele (small intestine prolapsing down into the vaginal vault.) I had a sacrocolpoplexy and perineoplasty in early 2014 (almost 7 years ago now!) and it has been rock solid ever since. My pelvic floor feels as strong now as it did pre-childbirth.

If I had it to do all over again I would have probably seen a urogynocologist from the start of my prolapses in 2009. Maybe I could have avoided the need for a 2nd surgery? Hard to know. I see that you say your planned hysterectomy is not due to prolapse so I don't know that you are vulnerable as I was. I'd say discuss your worries with your surgeon and even get a second opinion if you still feel uncertain.

Tldr: I have had a prolapse after hyst, but my further repair has been great and I expect it to last me for life (and I'm only 60 now.)

Best wishes on your surgery!
Unread 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy (kept ovaries) 9/20. I was super-worried pre-surgery about prolapse, but my gyn said she never sees it in her hysterectomy patients and that I had none of the risk factors: obesity, smoker. Three months post hysterectomy, I found out I have the beginning stages of prolapse. I'm still processing this. I'm angry because my hematologist (I would see him prior because of iron infusions for blood loss due to fibroids), begged me NOT to get a hysterectomy, as the patients he sees who have had them all have prolapse issues. I really regret not listening to him and listening to my gyn instead. Also, I later learned another major risk factor for
prolapse is a history of major cough (from bronchitis, etc.). I have a history of cough, as whenever I get sick I usually get an awful cough. But, my gyn never bothered to ask me this. I delayed having a hysterectomy for so long. I agonized over the decision. I'm just hoping my prolapse doesn't progress. I've made an appmt for pelvic floor therapy where they teach you exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor.

I feel like I got rid of one problem (fibroids/hysterectomy) only to inherit another big problem: prolapse. I may not have the courage for quite some time to read any replies to this, as I'm still emotional and processing this. have a friend who is near my age (50) and had a hysterectomy and has had NO prolapse issues, so everyone is different of course. If you were my sister, I would tell you to do everything you can to explore ALL options and look at ALL risk factors. II wish you the best in your decision.
Unread 01-05-2021, 06:25 PM

I had my surgery on Sept 8th (everything out). Like you, I was scared to death of all the reported complications - including prolapse. If you google hysterectomy, one of the first things that pops up in the 'questions' sections is some site called 'hormones matter' that essentially claims that the operation will screw up your anatomy and turn you into a sexless zombie. Even this site is both a blessing and a curse. When you have a problem, it's reassuring to be able to receive support and advice and draw on others experiences - but then whatever problem you look up - you'll inevitably find a few people who have ongoing complications. The site also sends you messages (perhaps notifications can be turned off) - with scary articles articles such as "10 reasons why you should be concerned about incontinence!". I grilled my surgeon several times before deciding to get the surgery. He said the main risk factor for prolapse is having been pregnant. At any rate, so far every symptom I had in the first 2 weeks after surgery disappeared. I slowly went back to exercise (I was doing 8-10 hours of competitive racket sports before the operation). The first couple of weeks (after being given the green light to return to exercise 6 weeks after surgery) I wore one of those belts, then one day I forgot to use it. So since around 9 weeks following the operation, I've felt pretty normal doing my usual exercise routine. No loss of energy, etc. The main thing I'm dealing with are the hot flashes from having my ovaries removed, getting good sleep etc. But it's more of a nuisance than a major problem. I'm 57 but hadn't completed menopause before the operation. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat encouraging. Like any health related site, you're mainly going to hear from people who have on going complications - not the vast numbers of people who are doing fine and haven't bothered to go back and report how they're doing. Some times less information more. Then again, in my case (pre-cancer or atypical cells in my uterine lining) NOT having the hysterectomy wasn't an option. If you have options (like the previous poster), then that probably makes your decision more difficult - as there's no guarantee what will happen. I wish there were clearer info about risks, what to do, etc. The info and recovery guidelines are vague and outcomes so varied.
Unread 01-05-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK8 View Post
I haven’t heard much talk of pelvic organ prolapse following a hysterectomy. How common is this? For this who have experienced this, can it ever be completely resolved where you feel like you did before surgery? I’ve read about some needing surgery for pelvic organ prolapse and many who experience it don’t require surgery. However, I didn’t know if that means they just have to live with it because it isn’t significant enough to warrant surgery? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
I had anterior and posterior prolapse surgery when I had my hysterectomy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register