Apprehensive and Afraid Pre Op Robotic Total Hysterectomy on 2/22 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Apprehensive and Afraid Pre Op Robotic Total Hysterectomy on 2/22 Apprehensive and Afraid Pre Op Robotic Total Hysterectomy on 2/22

Unread 02-10-2021, 04:18 AM
Apprehensive and Afraid Pre Op Robotic Total Hysterectomy on 2/22

I'm coming up on 6 years out. My pre-surgery life now seems like a bad dream, where I was constantly wondering where the nearest bathroom was, and constantly worried about whether I'd start leaking at an inopportune time. The most significant issues I faced during the early stages of my recovery were in my GI tract; I had to stop taking the narcotics after they made me throw up, and it took me 6 days to get my bowels moving. Fortunately, this site gave me the foresight to stock up on things that would help, like oatmeal, frozen blueberries, magnesium-rich dark chocolate, my trusted pair of walking shoes, prunes, peppermint tea, and powdered and crystallized ginger. What I also suggest for you is filling your freezer and pantry with easy to prepare meals and snacks, looking into delivery services for your groceries and meals, and spending the days before your surgery on a housework/cleaning blitz so at least you won't have to worry about that, and buying a few extension cords for plugging in your electronics, along with a Squatty Potty or small footstool to make those post-op bowel movements easier, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2021, 03:40 PM
Re: Apprehensive and Afraid Pre Op Robotic Total Hysterectomy on 2/22

@ Tiger_eye Well that sounds promising. Thank you for your advice. I’’m feeling less anxious with every response to my post! I’ve finalized my FMLA paperwork, and although I probably won’t need it, I’m taking the full 6 weeks. I’m taking everyone’s advice to be good to myself,. If not now... when?
Unread 02-20-2021, 08:12 PM

Hello,

Just hit my 5 year mark for a robotic (DaVinci) radical hysterectomy and I can honestly say, it was easier than I thought. Certainly not event free, but much less pain and shorter recovery from what I understand with other types of gynecological surgery.

I was able to manage post-op discomfort without the prescribed painkiller too, which was amazing. Of course, each of us are unique and while this was my first ever hospitalization/surgery, it was much less scary than anticipated.

Post-op I required a catheter for a couple weeks, developed an infection but also developed a blood clot in my leg a couple days immediately following surgery. None of these events were painful, only required attention and medications. So pay attention to your body and call your doctor if you suspect anything is wrong. Based upon other Hystersisters stories, I knew something was wrong with my leg and we called the doctor immediately. It was a DVT and thankfully all turned out alright.

I know exactly how stressful this time is but please try hard to relax as best you can, placing your trust in the surgical team/doctors taking care of you. This is their area of expertise!

All the best to you two Sisters having surgery the 22nd. Just think by the 23rd, you'll be over the HUGE hump and on the road to recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamitunes View Post
Hello to all. I’m all set for my total robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy on 2/22. After multiple myomectomies, an ablation and UAE ... it’s finally time. I’ve watched the surgery on YouTube, researched it extensively and were it not for the need of a medical degree I’m fairly certain I could at least assist during an actual surgery now. For some reason, this time I’m scared as hell. My marriage is on the rocks so I really can’t look to my DH for sincere empathy or support. I’ve read so many informative stories on this site and am grateful to have found this resource. It’s comforting to know that although this is serious it isn’t the end of the world. Thank you to all who have shared your personal journey.

I had mine on Feb. 1st and it went really well. Great doctor's and Staff at the hospital I had it at. I felt well taken care of and just took it all in. I actually had cancer cells detected in my uterus so wanted it out asap. I took in the operating room as they wheeled me in, introduced me to everyone, saw the robotic machine and was ready. They kept my hubby informed of my progress every hour too and he took notes for me to read later. I hope you have someone to support you now and after if husband can't. I think you'll certainly have the support from medical staff. My nurses were awesome. Like you reading others stories helped a great deal and I had family members share their recovery stories.

I've had 2 c-sections and an ACL repair and I would say this surgery really requires the time allowed recovery so give in to that to heal nicely. You got this!!
Michelle
Unread 02-21-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGems View Post
I had mine on Feb. 1st and it went really well. Great doctor's and Staff at the hospital I had it at. I felt well taken care of and just took it all in. I actually had cancer cells detected in my uterus so wanted it out asap. I took in the operating room as they wheeled me in, introduced me to everyone, saw the robotic machine and was ready. They kept my hubby informed of my progress every hour too and he took notes for me to read later. I hope you have someone to support you now and after if husband can't. I think you'll certainly have the support from medical staff. My nurses were awesome. Like you reading others stories helped a great deal and I had family members share their recovery stories.

I've had 2 c-sections and an ACL repair and I would say this surgery really requires the time allowed recovery so give in to that to heal nicely. You got this!!
Michelle
I’m so glad you are doing well and that your procedure was a success. My surgery was pushed back to the 26th due to terrible weather here in Texas. I think everything is going to work out exactly how it’s supposed to. I’m emotionally balanced right now & my home is peaceful. That’s a giant improvement. Thank you so much for your kind words and support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register