1 year post-op and >>>>>> | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 year post-op and >>>>>> 1 year post-op and >>>>>>

Unread 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
1 year post-op and >>>>>>

Ok Ladies February 23 will be One year Post Op and Believe Me I still hate it! I have Gained 15 lbs since My TAH/BSO and I have had Nothing but Problems Sex ***** for me once a month I get the Most severe Cramps that last like 2 1/2 weeks I spot once a month. My STomache Always hurts the depression is so severe. Does it ever get better. If they took my Uterus than Why am I cramping so bad every month? I wish I never had the surgery. I don't have a sex drive I am 36 years old Now and I have No interest in SEX. When I brush my teeth it is like Morning sickness every day I gag and Dry hieve all the time. Is this all normal? Does anyone else Feel like this? PLease Reply.
Thanks
JoJo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2005, 10:18 PM

I am only 4 weeks post op , but I just wanted you to know how sorry I am that you are having such difficulty. Have you gone back to your Dr. and discussed them?? Maybe he can help alieve some if not all of your problems. If he can't maybe another dr should be consulted. You should not have to live this way. Im sure there is help for you out there.

Sirap
Unread 02-16-2005, 06:02 AM

I'm so sorry you are having so many problems. I see that you kept one of your ovaries. I wonder if that one might have failed and you are defiecient in hormones. Menopause can make you feel really awful. I read about it, plus I was under the influence of lupron for 8 months and I had all sorts of problems.

Menopause can shrink your vagina and make it very dry - making sex difficult. Menopause can also make you very nauseaous and cause digestion problems.

I bet that your surgeon is probably trying to tell you that none of your problems could be related to your surgery. I agree that you should see a doctor and keep seeing different ones until you find one that helps. Have you had your hormone levels checked?

I've read that women can have phantom pains from a missing uterus just like those phantom pains that war victims get. I have no idea what the solution is for a missing internal organ though.

Good luck
Shenane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2005, 06:04 AM
a great big hug

Dear Jo-Jo,

No, you shouldn't have to live this way. I think you need medical attention-you are assuming all of your problems are hysterectomy related. Well, they might be, but there could be other things going on, complications from the surgery, or just other medical issues.

Please go to a good doc, or an internist and try to tackle the problems one at a time.

I have seen others on this site talk about each of the things you are experiencing, so they do happen. You are just getting hit with too many things all at once. I don't think you can just "handle" it by yourself. Please find a good doc and go with a list in hand. Don't let them brush you off, you need some answers.

's
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Jo Jo and ladies

I was one year yesterday. I too have gained considerable weight and can't seem to shift it no matter what I eat or how much exercise I do.

On the eve of my anniversary I have quite heavy spotting well it was like I was just starting a period and had really severe cramps these latest all day yesterday and today I have pains in my left ovary!!

I have been plagued by a dry mouth syndrome and had to wait for 7 months to see a consultant at the hospital to find out what it is, I went to hospital last Wednesday I now find I have a condition called "geopgraphic tongue", which is quite common apparently, my tongue is so raw and has been since 4th July last year!!! I was treated for candida and thrush by my GP, but this only made it worse - I had no end of blood tests, for hormone levels, full blood count for deficiencies and thyroid but they all came back normal!!?

This doctor told me the condition with my mouth is hormonal but there is no known cure, great, so I have a hysterectomy to get rid of problems I suffered for 27 years and get something else!!

I too am fed up and the bleeding I had yesterday and the day before only make me even more anxious so I do understand where you are coming from. Sex is not a problem in fact my sex life was always so throught with difficulties half the time I didn't have one - because of pain, bleeding and so on, so for me this is a relevelation, but this awful mouth condition drives me nuts.

Anyone else out there with the same or similar problems it would be nice to hear your experiences and advice.

Take care

Linnij

TAH 17th Feb 2004 for adenomyosis heavy painful prolonged periods and fibroids
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
One Year Later and ?

I have been horribly depressed for the past few months which was certainly not normal before the surgery. I felt great right after then just sort of sank downhill progressively. I've seen and done all the right things to figure out what's wrong with me and for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. I'm exhausted, depressed, moody, teary-eyed, fat, and want to leave town. This is a year later, so I'm trying the therapy route for now, I'm so blue that nothing exciting excites me anymore which I don't think is okay, at least not for me. So, although I don't do hormones, I wish someone would've told me that I'd been even more PMS'd.
Unread 02-24-2005, 04:19 PM

I have dry mouth syndrome-I started getting burning mouth and red tongue as part of menapause.I was given anti-fungal mouth treatment. I went to rheumatologist for this. They were very helpful!!I don't have medical advise and you need to listen to your doctors, but I do a few things that help me-again run things by doctor.
1. No hot bevereges-luke warm
2. No toothpast with Hydrogen peroxide, or rinsing with HP for me-No using mouthwashes that burn
3. I chew alot of gum to keep mouth moist-due to bad teeth can't use suck candies as they hurt my teeth-Lots water to keep mouth moist
4. No cinnamon, pepper, hot sauce, Paprika, tabasco, or other spicy food-I find tomato products really aggrivate it or too acidy foods(Becomes a way of life)
5. My teeth also were sharp at points and cut into tongue, so made less sharp
6. Certain meds aggrivate dry mouth I hear
7. Food I always let cool and no hot pizza cheese, etc.(sounds funny, but really makes a difference)
8. See what food make tongue swell due to allergies or allergens themselves.
Again, see a doctor and follow their advise. These are just my tips that work for me.
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:42 PM

JoJo,

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering.

I truly think you should make an appointment with your doc to discuss these important issues. It makes sense to go and see him/her anyway as it is a year now. Go over all these things you have mentioned to us.

You don't deserve to live in pain and sadness. There is always a better way and I hope that you will take the steps needed to get some answers. Don't go on the way you have been.

You only have one life to live and you deserve after all you have been through with the surgery, to live it well.

Best wishes and let us know what happens.

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
another thing too

There is also an over the counter thing that has a lot of different brand names. But it is basically artificial saliva.
Ask the pharmacist.

Of course check with your doctor to be sure it is OK for you to use.

It is better than water because it has the same texture and viscosity as your natural saliva. Doctors told us to use it in the nursing home for people that were taking medications or had strokes that caused a very dry mouth. It helped with their ability to swallow (which is what I was working on with them)

If it wasn't treated, then they could develop tooth decay very quickly.

I hope you find something that brings you relief. Isn't it amazing to find out others have had the same problems? At least you know you aren't alone.
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Re: One Year Later and ?

Quote:
Originally posted by buckbo
I have been horribly depressed for the past few months which was certainly not normal before the surgery. I felt great right after then just sort of sank downhill progressively. I've seen and done all the right things to figure out what's wrong with me and for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. I'm exhausted, depressed, moody, teary-eyed, fat, and want to leave town. This is a year later, so I'm trying the therapy route for now, I'm so blue that nothing exciting excites me anymore which I don't think is okay, at least not for me. So, although I don't do hormones, I wish someone would've told me that I'd been even more PMS'd.
I'm so sorry you feel like this. You shouldn't have to live this way. Have you talked to your doctor about effexor or paxil? SSRI's are often prescribed for menopausal women for a variety of symptoms. I would probably ask the doctor about it. It's non-hormonal and should make a world of difference in your symptoms. Keep us posted, you'll be in our thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register