Scheduled dVH/RALH A Little Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Little Help A Little Help

Unread 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM
A Little Help

I am scheduled for a DaVinci Hysterectomy in October, and I am jus wonderin whether anyone can speak to how quickly they were able to resume their "normal" activities and return to work. Also, what do I do with the time between now and then? It seems like a lifetime away. I am in pain almost daily, and hate that I have to endure this for over a month.

I am curious about the prep too. Can anyone speak to that?

Very curious.

GuardianAngel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Re: A Little Help

I had the DaVinci. They removed my cervix, uterus, and right ovary. But... I also had alot of scar tissue removed. I went back to work at 2 wks but it was waaaaaay too early. When I first was told I was having this she told me I would be lucky to go back after a week. Then I had to have staples removed at 1 wk and she told me I couldn't return for at least 2 wks but wanted to see me again at 2 wks. At my 2 wk checkup she didn't want me to work anymore than 2-3 hrs a day for 8 wks. I was like "what the heck"! I had told my office 2 wks max. I did go back at two weeks but it was rough. I worked as much as 4 hrs and had a 40-45 minute drive each way. It wasn't the pain that got me it was the lack of energy. I would come home and crash with my heating pad. If you have the option to be off 8 wks I would definitely take it. I didn't have that luxury though.

As for prep... I had the standard colon prep where you have to drink the wonderful prescribed cocktail. It was the 6th time I've had to do that though and the 3rd time in the past year but that's because I have some colon issues and had some other test done.

The waiting is the worst part. I actually thought Wk 1 was a breeze because you can take pain meds if needed. Week 2 I started feeling it a little more but not bad. That's when I decided I would return to work. Week 3 was my worst but only because I had absolutely no energy. I'm Wk 5 now and feel like if I had only had the hysterectomy to deal with I would be just fine. It's the scar tissue work that has caused me problems.

You will do just fine! Sending you my wishes for a speedy recovery too!
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:09 PM

I had a Davinci surgery on the 5th of July. For me there was no hospital stay. Surgery was at 730a and I was discharged and eating lunch by 230p. My recovery had its ups and downs. Like you, I was in constant pain up until surgery, so once it was done, I felt wonderful right away. So for the first few days I over did it.

Then I listened to my body and slowed down. I did not have to see my Dr until the 4th week, and at that time I was released to start slowly resuming my normal activities. Of course, intimate time with hubby still had to wait until 6 weeks, but it felt good to be able to start doing things at a slow pace. I returned to work at 6 weeks, had a minor set back after working 2 days, then tried again this Wed. I have put four days in this week, all in a row, and feel great.

You just have to remember that we all heal differently, so you need to listen to your body. As for prep before surgery, many seem to have to do a bowl prep, but I did not. And I would suggest that you make sure you have GasX and stool softener at the house when you come home to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much for the insight. I was told I would need to be off 3 weeks. I don't have that kind of time off. So, I am tryingg to come back gradually. I am hoping my employer agrees with my plan and that I can also get my Doctor to agree. I don't need the added stress of being off work and not getting paid. I have to go back.
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilred864 View Post
And I would suggest that you make sure you have GasX and stool softener at the house when you come home to recover.
I totally agree with the Gas X and stool softener. I am still taking Gas X and just tonight took a Dulcolax for the first time in a week. Also, be sure and buy a body pillow before you go in. This will help you sleep much better because it stabilizes you.

Even if you go back to work like I did you still won't be able to work a full day. I hope your employer is as understanding as mine was about this. My boss didn't want me to work anymore than a couple of hours a day but I did work more.

Good Luck!
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM

I am not quite 2 weeks out from my total dvh bso. I think a lot depends on your activity prior to surgery and how demanding your job is. I went back to work after a week(half days), but I am blessed with a job that I can leave at any time if I were to start feeling bad or tired. I won't lie to you though, the first 2 days at work I was exhausted after only a short time & went home to rest, and I have a desk job. This is not normal for most people. I was allowed to drive after 1 week. I am doing some normal things now with the exception of cleaning my house and doing laundry, my dh & ds have taken that away from me, but I do rest a lot. I stocked my freezer very well prior to surgery with pre-cooked meals, so I don't have to cook. I still have post op instructions of : no lifting, pulling, pushing, tugging(as my doctor put it), only walking as exercise, and when swelly belly strikes put my feet up & rest some more. Everyone is different when it comes to healing from surgery, but the most important thing you can do is rest, rest, rest! I was fortunate to not have hardly any post surgical pain. I stopped my pain meds 4 days post op and have only taken ibuprofen for some achiness. Today I feel great, so I've really had to refrain from over doing things.

As far as prep, I had to have a soft diet 2 days before surgery, then the day before only clear liquids and had to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. Not a fun day. I do recommend that if you do have a prep that you get a tube of A&D ointment to use on your bottom after each bm.

I must say, the pain I did have after surgery was not anywhere near the pain I had been in daily for over 2 years. Remember, you only have one chance to heal. Listen to your body and take care of yourself. Let your loved ones and friends pamper you as long as you can....eat it up with a spoon!
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM

GuardianAngel -

Part of your recovery will be dependent on the extent of your surgery. So a supracervical surgery is usually a faster recovery vs. a total hysterectomy with ovary removal.

General guidelines are 2/4 to 6/8 weeks of initial recovery and full recovery taking 6 to 12 months.

I understand your concern about money but you have to put your health first because if you don't heal properly you could be out even longer.

You may not be allowed to drive for 2 weeks depending on when you come off of pain meds. Also you will have lifting restrictions. Sitting upright for long periods of time can be painful and put stress on your pelvic area.

I thought I would make it back in 4 weeks my gyn-onc said 6 weeks and maybe 8 weeks. I was out 6 and exhausted when for the first couple of weeks when I did go back and I was working from home every other day.

This is major surgery.

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:32 PM

I had the DaV in May. I felt great after the surgery and was off the med s in a few days. But there were constant little set backs. Week 3 was the worst. I don't work so I could roll with whatever was going on with my recovery. But you can expect to have a few good days and then not so good for 4-5 weeks. Like the others have stated, there are restrictions on your activity and if you don't follow them you can expect to have adverse reactions. Most of us tried it and suffered because of it.lol I would prepare my boss for the worst ( 4-6 weeks) and return early if you can.
As far as pre-surgery. Use this time to get things ready for your recovery time at home. clean, cook, arrange, Find some books, magazines, easy sewing or crafts, etc. to do while you recover. Shop for a new nighty and some lounge comfy clothes. Do your research here. The more you know the better you feel in control.
Pre-op will involve some blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray and possible bowell cleanse. All depends on your Dr.
Good luck
Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register