Hospital Shower | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Shower Hospital Shower

Unread 03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Hospital Shower

If it's not too personal..could someone who has been to the castle tell me about the first shower while there?
I'm wondering if they have you stand up, or is there a chair in the shower, or do they allow you some privacy?

The reason I ask, is because when I had my C-sections, I remember having to take the first shower with the nurse in the room with me. No shower curtain, no privacy, but she turned her back. They told me they had to do that in case I fainted or got too weak. I did sit in a chair and still had the IV pole hooked up next to me, but I still felt shy having that nurse watch me naked!!
Hopefully, this time I will be strong enough to take the shower by myself and not need anyone standing with me.
Also, when you got home, where you strong enough to stand in your own shower, or would a shower chair be a good idea?

thanks for you help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Hospital Shower

Bluegoose,

I took a shower in the hospital on my own; my mom stayed outside the door so I could yell for help if I needed it. All went well. It was a very short shower though! When I got home, no problem. I just left the door open so my husband could help if needed for a few days. Really, showering is not very difficult. I planned it out, got everything ready and was in and out in no time. You'll be fine!

Mar
Unread 03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Hospital Shower

I had LAVH I was able to shower on my own the next morning. The nurse just helped me to sort out the iV drip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Hospital Shower

Just as soon as IV and oxygen were disconnected morning after TAH, I was ready to shower. The nurse placed a shower chair in the shower and left me to it. The shower head was detachable so I could stand or sit to get the job done. The towels had been placed within reach. All went well but I made sure the call cord was in easy reach! (And, ohhh, that first shower was a delight!!)
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Hospital Shower

A shower was soooo wonderful!! I was lucky to have a shower curtain. My sister just stood in the bathroom at the hospital and handed me things - soap, shampoo, towel - so I would have to bend or reach. I remember being pretty shakey - even during the first week at home. When at home - I just made sure I took a shower when my DH was there, with the door open - just in case! But no problems!
Unread 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Hospital Shower

Wow, I'm amazed, because I've never been allowed a hospital shower with any of my four surgeries. I always thought it was cruel and unusual punishment to make a woman go through all that without even a little wash. A shower with a nurse in the room would have been a lot better than no shower at all. Come to think of it, it is incomprehensible to me that any of the nurses I ever had (four different hospitals, two different coasts) would have had the TIME to accompany me to the shower.
Unread 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Hospital Shower

was in castle 5 days, day 5 removed catheter and iv, managed shower on day 2 through 5 at castle swinging tubes and all, the offered seat, preferred to stand. dh stayed with me. could have been the morphine, but no problems.

day 1 i had germex's hand and face cleansing wipes , used them all over, did't have to rinse, killed bacteria and smelled and felt fresh.

i'm a freak about clean teeth so i had brush ups (fit on finger) so i could brush teeth without getting out of bed.

funny how little things give you back control in your life.

hope you have a successful journey to and through the castle.
Unread 03-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Hospital Shower

Bluegoose, The shower was great! I had surgery Tuesday and Wednesday morning I was allowed to shower. The castle I was at had the spa showers and whirlpool tubs. I wanted the tub but was denied because it was only for the mothers. The shower though had a fold down paded seat. They gave me a pull cord and said if I needed help to call. Other than My nurses always started my water and got it warmed up. I did everything else myself. At home I'll have a chair in the shower because for me I find my head swimming sometimes. 's Marie 10
Unread 03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Hospital Shower

Hi Blue goose,

The morning after surgery when everything was removed I asked if I could shower nurse said she'd be back to help me but being independent and also wanting privacy I took myself off. I managed standing up but there was a chair to sit on if need be and the call button was close at hand. Boy was that shower good!I did feel exhausted after it and sat down a for a little while. Just take it slowly and you'll be okay.

Take care....Karen
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Hospital Shower

I got to have a shower after csect,,, but the !@#$#@%$ nurse I had made me push my son down to the nursery myself!!! My doc freaked!! The shower was great though, and the nurse was gone when I got back to my room, and never returned. The only issue I had was getting my undies back on lol,, (also was a little weak) gave up and waited till I got back across the hall to my room. The new nurse gave me a hand and I laughed with embarassment.
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register