Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty! Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty!

Unread 01-13-2021, 07:19 AM
Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty!

Hello, my name is Megan. My surgery was yesterday. The surgery went smooth. I had the da vinci robotic method. Removal of uterus, tubes and cervix. I have lots of allergies so they put me on a benadryl drip to be safe. They did that in the pre-op are. I don't remember leaving the area so the benadryl probably knocked me out.
The handles my allergies well, even letting me use my compounded meds.
My surgery was at. I woke up sometime around 5pm. It took the until 7:20 just to get me on a clean recovery after post-op.
I'm in some pain but not awful. I don't wish to use the oxy they gave me. I think I'll be fine with my motrin and tylenol since I haven't had any in almost 3 years.
I did get to go home late last night. They said you had to be able to walk alone, pee a certain amount and eat with out getting nausea.
I feel like they weren't super attentive in The recovery area. I'm glad I could go home.
I'm propping up on a reading pillow, that's the most comfortable position. I don't want to lay all the way down. That might hurt and be too hard to get up on my own .
They also tell you to wear pads for some bleeding, I guess from suturing where they took the cervix. I didn't bleed much and I don't really have any gas pains like they said I would.
I'm as well as can be I guess. I'm just so thirsty! Either from the benadryl or the tube they said they'd put down my throat for breathing.
That's it I think. -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2021, 07:39 AM
Re: Surgery was 1/12/2021

and

Reclining with ample pillows worked better for me for my waking hours. The way to get out of bed is via the "log roll" method:
  1. Turn to your side facing the edge of your bed
  2. Push up on the mattress with your free arm
  3. As your other arm frees up, you can use it to push yourself up, too
  4. Finally, as you rise, swing your legs over the edge of the bed for leverage
This is the "get out of bed" advice given to patients of back surgery as well.

Re: pain meds. You may still have some of the hospital-grade pain killers in your system so acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be all you need. If you find you need the narcotics for pain control, it's okay to take them. You rest better when you're not in pain, and rest is needed for healing. We suggest staying ahead of / on top of your pain by taking whatever meds you choose on schedule.

You were given some good links in the New Member Center. One I'd like to highlight is your Recovery Thread, a dedicated group chat for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for Jan 11-17. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company. If you have a specific question, you're welcome to post them here; updates on your recovery progress are better suited to the more conversational Recovery Thread since updates get may overlooked here since this forum is geared towards recovery questions.

Unread 01-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Re: Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty!

Hi! How are you feeling today? I had a total hysterectomy on Wednesday and pain wise I’m only taking Advil but I feel loopy. Foggy, dizzy.. I’m thinking it’s detox from everything they gave me while in the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2021, 02:39 PM
Hysterectomy yesterday 1/12: I'm in some pain but not awful. I'm just so thirsty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSpringer View Post
Hi! How are you feeling today? I had a total hysterectomy on Wednesday and pain wise I’m only taking Advil but I feel loopy. Foggy, dizzy.. I’m thinking it’s detox from everything they gave me while in the hospital.
I stopped taking the motrin and tylenol last night. I'm really not in horrible pain. Sure there's some but honestly I'm so used to being in pain all day, I'd rather not use the pain meds if I don't need them. I did have my first bm today, basically 4 days post op and still have nausea off and on. My blurry vision is mostly better. I did take a motrin this afternoon as I felt some pain/discomfort up inside, maybe from the stitches where they took the cervix. Sometimes I think I feel the stitches, like when I move a certain way. I sure hope they didn't shorten me up too much, I hope to be intimate with my husband again someday when I'm all healed. I'm Kinda worried about that.
My stomach itches like crazy though from the steri strips. I had the da vinci surgery. Glues irritate me but I guess it's too early to take then off. I also noticed a small burn near my belly button and a bruise around one of the insicions.
My throat is getting better each day. Warm drinks and cough drops really helped. I found some honey cough drops I could have (my allergies make it hard to find safe stuff). My throat just sounds raw today but doesn't hurt as much.
I think I'm doing okay. I don't want to drive or be in a car yet though. I feel best in a semi reclined position. I tried sitting at the kitchen table today and I'm thinking I wasn't quite ready for that.
I really do need to be careful though because I want to be independent and don't like doing nothing but I have to. I want my body to heal and I think not over doing it will be the hardest thing for me. Also the itching from these strips is extremely bothersome. I'm going to call on Monday and ask if I can take them off. I think my incisions are healing okay. Hopefully.

Oh if they put an anti nausea patch on you, that could be adding to some loopy feelings. I took mine off the night of the day after my surgery . It made me itchy and I didn't like the vision issues. They say leave on for three days but I think if it bothers you, or gives symptoms, you'd have to decide for yourself if you want to chance some nausea and take it off.
Unread 01-16-2021, 03:03 PM

Sounds like you are handling things pretty well which is amazing. I’m in the same boat. I did get some sort of lift or extension done as well so things are supported inside and being intimate will be doable and comfortable, I hope! It’s a bit scary to think. I’m really curious what an orgasm is going to feel like.

I did have the patch and took it off yesterday, I wonder if that’s why I feel so weird. I feel out of it. I really don’t like drugs!!!

My incision are covered with the glue snd there’s definitely bruising around them but very little pain, the only pain I’m having is if someone pushes on my belly. I’m having sweats and muscle twitches though, very strange!

I couldn’t urinate on my own so I had to wear a catheter home. Took it out yesterday and successfully peed so that was a relief.
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:22 AM

With regards to the vision issues from the anti-nausea patch, the main ingredient is scopolamine, a derivative of the belladonna plant, whose name is derived from the Italian for "beautiful lady," because of its well-known tendency to dilate the pupils, which makes the eyes larger, and can also cause blurry vision; it's the same ingredient as what's in the drops that your eye doctor would use to dilate your pupils for an examination. Personally, I prefer to avoid these medications because they make me loopy, so ginger was my best friend after my surgery; I have chronic stomach issues, so to this day, I keep supplies of powdered and crystallized ginger on hand in my pantry for fast relief. What can also help with the nausea is avoiding hard-to-digest foods like legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, prunes, apricots, cherries, and artificial sweeteners. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSpringer View Post
Feeling foggy and dizzy is a common part of the detox process. Eating foods that support this process through your liver, your kidneys, and your colon can help; top picks for this include asparagus, artichokes, dark leafy greens like kale and spinach, herbs like parsley and dandelion greens, citrus fruits, and high-fiber whole grains, accompanied by enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow. Start your day by drinking a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, followed by a bowl of whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and you'll be well on your way. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register