Scheduled dVH/RALH Surgery Mon 10/5/09 SCARED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Mon 10/5/09 SCARED Surgery Mon 10/5/09 SCARED

Unread 10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Surgery Mon 10/5/09 SCARED

I am fairly new here, I have been reading other posts, great info, thanks ladies, it has been helpful.
I am very nervous, scared and right down ready to be post-op. Any advice, I'll take any words of encouragement, prayers, and kind thoughts. I have a great DH, but no other support. Thanks for your time, God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Re: Surgery Mon 10/5/09 SCARED

Will someone be with you pre-op? That's really helpful. I would also suggest bringing an iPod or something with you loaded with a mix of relaxing/favorite music. You probably won't be allowed to have it pre-op, but it's nice to have afterwards.

Do voice any concerns to your nurses, anesthesiologist, surgeon and anyone else who'll listen. Your comfort really is their concern.

Afterwards, you'll probably feel some discomfort, but not real pain. Take the pain meds anyway. My MD had me on toradol and it really does take pain away without leaving you feeling "loopy."

I had a RALH just over three weeks ago and found the worst pain was when I got out of bed the first time to pee. However, the toradol made short work of that!

Fair warning, however, your vaginal area will probably feel like they drove a backhoe up in there -- you'll be somewhat sore (kinda like marathon sex -- you'll ache). That gets better, too. Don't know if they'll be taking your cervix, but I found out from my MD (after the fact, of course) that when they take the cervix, they take everything out through the vagina -- so that explained why I felt kind of beat up in there.

Be really, really honest with your nurses about your pain level -- don't try to tough it out. If you are hurting, let them know.

You will do just fine. Remember, you'll be asleep for this. Afterwards, you'll sleep a lot off and on.

Once you get home, don't try to do too much. Take your stool softeners. Let others pick things up for you. I felt great by about 3-4 days post-op, but always remember you're still healing on the inside, so no marathons, okay? Nap when you feel like napping. Don't return to work too soon (I've stayed out a month).

No lifting, no straining.

Milestones will include the first time you can bend and touch the floor, your first totally painless BM, stuff like that.

If there is a uniform store in your area, get a couple of pairs of scrub pants (get them pre-op if you can -- I wore mine to the hospital). If you can't find them locally, order them online. Be sure to get the kind with the drawstring, not the elastic waistband. Also, get a size or two larger than you think you need. They come in wonderful colors and are so easy to care for -- just throw 'em in the wash.

Oh yes, and be sure to catch up with the thread for your surgery week. You'll find yourself with a wonderful bunch of women who've gone through what you've gone through at the same time. It really helps to compare notes.

Be sure to dig around this website for all the good advice that's available here.

I'll keep you in my thoughts for your surgery (I'll be at the MD for my 2nd follow-up that day).

Bobbe
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Hi sleonard,

I was also terrified of my surgery. I found a Bible passage that I read, meditated and prayed over and over for two months. Isaiah 41:13, "I am the Lord your God, who holds your right hand, and I tell you, "Don't be afraid. I will help you."

I hope that this will bring you some comfort as it did me. May the Lord be with you through your surgery and recovery.

The waiting/stress is the HARDEST part! Look forward to seeing you on the recovery side!

Hugs and Prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2009, 10:01 PM

Hey, we're date buddies! My surgery is on the 5th also, and I'm nervous too. Maybe we can make a deal to "meet" here after we're all through and compare notes--mine isn't a da Vinci, but I'll bet we'll feel pretty much the same afterwards.

What time of day is yours scheduled?
Unread 10-02-2009, 03:12 AM

I'm scheduled for a DaVinci on Oct. 7th, so I'm right there with you too. Bobbeleh made some great points... I've been on here for awhile, but there was some good info. in there for me too. Thanks Bobbeleh! Just one thing to add though... many times they DO remove everything through the vagina when your cervix is removed, but sometimes (i.e. if the uterus is too large or something) they will remove it through one of the instrument sites by cutting it into long strips. It's good to know I'll be feeling beat up afterwards... I wasn't sure how big of a deal that would be compared to a vaginal hysterectomy.

Sleonard - I see you're in Kansas City... not far from me... I'm in Wichita! I'm glad you have a DH to support you. I have wonderful friends here, but no DH and no family anywhere nearby (closest is on the east coast). And the support from sisters here on this site is invaluable as well. I'll certainly keep you in my prayers!

One thing I did learn that doesn't seem to be too easy to find on here... I wasn't sure how useful the swelly belly band and abdominal binder would be for those of us having laparoscopic surgery. I asked the question through the store, and the response I got back is that most women having laparoscopic surgery don't need the swelly belly band, but most DO find the abdominal binder very helpful. I ordered the binder, as well as a reaching tool (since I live alone and have 3 cats that like to knock things off tables and stuff). Others have found the tummy pillow very handy post-op, and other great stuff from the Hystersisters store.

Let me know if you have any specific prayer requests (you can post your prayer requests in the prayer request forum). I know you'll do well and feel so much better afterwards. I too am SOOO ready to be post-op. It's only a few days away, so hang in there!
Unread 10-02-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I am fairly new here, I have been reading other posts, great info, thanks ladies, it has been helpful.
I am very nervous, scared and right down ready to be post-op. Any advice, I'll take any words of encouragement, prayers, and kind thoughts. I have a great DH, but no other support. Thanks for your time, God Bless.
Hello,

Don't be scared. I had started to feel afraid last night thinking about the what if's. However, I am a christian. As I slept God woke me up with a song which is actually a scripture. Psalm 27, the Lord is my light and my salvation in whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I b afraid?

You will be, WE will be just find because truly I help come froms God. He hold us in His right hand. Put your trust and faith in him and he shall be with you in your going in and coming out.

We will be here for you when you come out and then you can tell us your story.

Your new friends
Soon you will be a
Unread 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM

Hi Sleonard- I will lift you up in prayer. You are not going through this alone. There is so much support and comfort here, and a wealth of information. My surgery date is a couple of days after yours, I do understand your fear. We are here for you.
Unread 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks so much for your kind word and prayers, I feel somewhat at ease already.
Unread 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpup View Post
I'm scheduled for a DaVinci on Oct. 7th, so I'm right there with you too. Bobbeleh made some great points... I've been on here for awhile, but there was some good info. in there for me too. Thanks Bobbeleh! Just one thing to add though... many times they DO remove everything through the vagina when your cervix is removed, but sometimes (i.e. if the uterus is too large or something) they will remove it through one of the instrument sites by cutting it into long strips. It's good to know I'll be feeling beat up afterwards... I wasn't sure how big of a deal that would be compared to a vaginal hysterectomy.
Good points. With any kind of laparoscopic procedure, they remove the uterus in strips anyway, since it won't fit through any of the tiny incisions, vaginal or otherwise. I came thisclose to ending up with a mini-traditional; why? Because apparently, my vagina is sooooo long, they had trouble getting their hands all the way up there. I know, I know, the visuals are weird. I suspect that vaginal or not depends a lot on the surgeon and the position of the uterus. I was quite surprised that there was a vaginal incision -- I thought it would be through one of the incisions.

However, in thinking about it, I believe there is less chance of injuring the bowel or bladder with a vaginal incision (think about anatomical positioning here), since they can get straight to the organ in question. I know they generally tip you backwards about 30 degrees so the intestines slide upward and out of the way.

My absolutely worst pain (toradol handled it well) was the first time I got out of bed, and it wasn't where I would have thought I would have pain. It's about 6" above the bellybutton and 4" below the bottom of the sternum. It's basically where your bowels were during surgery. This particular pain eases within a couple of days and I found I was nearly pain-free when I was lying down (by Day 2, I could actually lie on either side comfortably).

My surgery (a RALH-BSO) took longer than anticipated and the surgeons were getting tired, but since I was tolerating the anesthesia well, they persevered and I only have the 5 tiny incisions.

One thing that seems to be common to all lap procedures is that the upper left incision tends to be sore. I found out the reason is that of the two trochars they use, that's the one apparently that gets manipulated the most -- both side-to-side and back and forth. It also seems to be the longest one -- measuring about 1". My other incisions are barely 1/2 an inch and I can't find the bellybutton one.

Another thing I noticed (and I don't know how common this is) is that I had pretty major bruising from about 1/2 an inch below my bellybutton to the bottom of my abdomen. Not painful, just deep purple. That faded out by the end of week 2.

I'll have you in my thoughts for your surgery. You'll do fine!

Bobbe
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post

Dear Sleonard

I think it is so natural you feel scared, this is going to be a new area to you, that was the way with me, I felt scared when I was going in the operation room, but, belive me, you will see that it deserves no panic at all , here is what will happen, first day you will be with pain killers all the time so, you will not feel a thing , second day you will be good and will get rid of the urin cathater and that is wonderfull only getting in or our of bed stings a little, day three you will get rid of all the vain canulas and that is more than wonderfull, and probably the bulb where the excess blood goes to , you will get rid of it that day, here I can tell you half way to recovery is done, the only bad thing is the deprive of water, first and second day
then to be able to go to the bathroom and bowl movement I recomend you to ask for stool softeners that will help a lot,
after you go home concentrate on softening food like letus cucumbers salads and lots lots lots of water,
take care to be away from sodas or fizzy drinks they give gases and that is the worst thing to have, so never a coke,
then enjoy doing nothing, be relaxed pile books and magazines and read them all through your recovery,
they will remove the thread probably on day 8 to 10 , here you will feel free, but do not push yourself take it easy
schedule for someone who can help you in house work, and if you can precook and save in the refregerator that would be fine, your DH can get it out and in the microwave and here comes dinner
try to ware comfortable cloths , wide short baby dolls or cotton t shirts that you can be free of any thing pushing your tummy , underware preferably be cotton grany type,
get yourself a couple of summer dresses they are up to the mode and very comfy
I did not have any trouble except for gas on day five so I had 2 carbon pills and that passed
buy a new lipsticks and take lipgloss with you to the hospital and a comb and of course your perfume and cream you will need them to boost your morals
take care not to stay for long the first week and try to lay on your back most of the time this first week , the second weak, start walking indoors, by week 3 or 4 you will be able to go out around the block
take care no driving till 6 weeks,
some of our sisters get some trouble but this is not the rule, the rule is no trouble and smooth healing,
no lifting ,, no bending, just pamper yourself

I am now 3 months post opp and I am doing perfect except for swely belly in the evening and I was able to moove well as soon as they removed all the atatched equipment from me, life is good , sex is good , health is better than before , overall I am much much better than before operation, and never regret it for a wink

hope you an excellent recovery and a very very succesful operation pls take care and keep us informed , as soon as you can

Doaa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register