Scheduled LAVH New here. Surgery Scheduled Next Thursday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here. Surgery Scheduled Next Thursday New here. Surgery Scheduled Next Thursday

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM
New here. Surgery Scheduled Next Thursday

Hi all,
My name is Velma, I go by V. I found out a week ago that I possibly needed a hysterectomy, I found out yesterday that I only had two options; my insurance will pay for the hysterectomy, but not for a laser conization and I need one or the other, fast. So...Hysterectomy is scheduled for 11/10/2011. I go Monday for my pre-op appt. To say I am nervous wouldn't be anywhere near how I feel... Is there a word beyond nervous/scared? Can I claim it?
I am 33. I have Mitochondrial Myopathy with Ragged Red Fibers and in the past 2 years, my health had really declined. So, on one hand, I am looking at next Thursday with mixed feelings..I had always imagined that I would hit menopause with a uterus and around a ripe age of 55 (give or take) BUT on the other side, I have never gone through not having to have pads or tampons (later on bleeding was so heavy I needed DEPENDS) and I'll never (bittersweet) have a late-in-life or Menopause baby...I'm sorry, I really am not trying to upset anyone, I'm having a hard time remembering the rules and such for the page.

The doctor is trying to sway me towards a LAVH (isn't that laprascopic asst vaginal hysterectomy?) though, I was leaning more towards Abdominal. Can you share with me your experiences?
Thank you so very much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Re: New here. Surgery Scheduled Next Thursday

Hi V,

So sorry you're struggling with your news. Though my situation is not exactly like yours (I'm 50 and had about 3 months to get used to the idea of no longer having a uterus), I can tell you that having a LAVH last Friday (10/28) has been a great decision for me. I already feel so much better than I had in months. I was in agony a great percentage of each month. My pain level 5 days post-op is already better than it was pre-surgery and I'm not bleeding at all. I would hope the your age is an advantage for recovering quickly. I wish you the very, very best.
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:44 AM

I am 35 and I am having abdominal hysterectomy next Thursday also
I have known since Sept but I have really kept my head buried in the sand
But I will say I am focussing on Jan 1st 2012 as the start of my new life
I live in Ireland so not familiar with your insurance
Best of luck to you xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is never easy to hear that you have to have a hysterectomy. I don't know whether it is better to have more time to prepare, or less time to stress about it??? I had about 6 weeks to stress about it and I know of other sisters that have had to wait 6 months or longer!

All I can say is to you!! I had the abdominal, and I didn't have any issues at all. I think the LAVH is a lot less invasive and has a shorter recovery period, so do you mind if I ask why you would want to have it done abdominally?

Best of luck to you! Glad you found us....if you have any questions in the next week, NEVER be afraid to ask!
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm close to your age (31) and I can understand the bittersweetness of no surprise late-life babies. Even though we are "done"... I have a 40 year old friend who is due about 2 months after my hyst - right around the time I'm hopefully feeling better. Right now I'm OK with that, but I've wondered how I'll feel when that time actually rolls around. I'm sorry you've got such short time to get used to this; i was told I needed one about a year ago, and didn't actually get scheduled til Sept for my late Nov surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Your feelings are completely normal.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Your feelings are completely normal. I had LAVH 9 days ago and am feeling great. I had a c-section years ago and I have to say I would go with the laproscopic any day before the abdominal. My turn around time has been so much quicker, I was home in less then 24 hrs, but was in 5 days with the section. I'm also a lot more mobile with the lap.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM

I have had a real fear of vaginal and urinary pain. I have a high pain tolerance, but 13 years ago I had vaginal trauma and urinary trauma following birth, and it was so severe that I could not urinate without being in scalding hot water for 2 weeks following birth. I also get rapid and severe UTI's, very easily, whereas from sex, trauma, holding urine, etc...
I had an abdominal pelvic girdle muscle biopsy (with two 6 inch incisions on either side of umbilicus) in August and while it was (at times) unbearable pain, I had no urinary problems resulting from it.

My doctor did say that If I wanted an abdominal hysterectomy, that I would be making a mistake. He is leaving the choice up to me, so I am trying to find out as much information on each procedure, before Monday, when the papers are signed...
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Well, I can totally understand you reasoning for wanting the abdominal!! I don't know why he would think it was a mistake. It is a longer recovery period, but from the problems you have had in the past, I would say the vaginal would be more of a mistake....just my opinion. You might check out the "Our Hysterectomy Stories" forum to see what others have gone through with both procedures. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I had TAH and didn't have a choice. I will say, I had no complications, so far, but wow, at the time its taking to feel .................decent. It is frustrating but I know I'll feel better eventually. The frustration will get to ya. You'll get tired of being tired, sore and swollen. That's just the way it is though. Believe me, you will feel better every week as long as you don't do anything to cause any complications.

I know LAVH, TVH you have a faster "recovery time", which basically means you'll "feel" better quicker. BUT, remember, no matter which procedure is done, we've all had the same thing done internally. We've had our uterus' removed and those internal stitches, ligaments, etc, still take the same amount of time to heal.

My doc told me possibly up to 12 months to completely heal on the inside no matter how the surgery was done.

So keep that in mind. You might feel great but you still must take care of yourself and not do anything to cause you to have issues later in life, like a prolapse.......vaginal or bladder. That is a possibility for any type of hysterectomy.

Now, I will say, I've never been fond of the thought of having my va jay jay turned inside out and having my uterus pulled out of it. I watched each type of hysterectomy surgery on youtube before my surgery and that one just gets to me. lol, I've never been fond of the thought of pushing a baby out of it either.

My mom & MIL had TVH and they both said they gladly would've given birth to 10+lb babies over & over than to do that again.

Its your choice. Both have their own pros, cons & risks.

Good luck with your decision.

Unread 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM

My surgery is the day after yours. I wish you luck and will keep you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register