Swelly Belly Band? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly Band? Swelly Belly Band?

Unread 08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

I'm having a hyster on 8/29. I avoided buying the swelly belly band until I found out what direction my incision will be in. Now that I know it will be horizontal, I'm wondering--Are you all planning on getting one? I don't want to wait until after surgery, because I don't want to have to plod in here to buy one if I'm not going to be up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

I have a horizontal incision and haven't felt I need the support. Many of the ladies here swear by the swelly belly band or some other form of support such as spandex panties. Although I feel great and my tummy isn't sore or ever greatly swollen, I thought I might try a pair of the panties to see if I feel even better. Everyone's bodies are so different it is hard to predict what you will definitely need. It was kinda funny that when I was in the castle, the very sweet woman who cleans the floors (and hardly speaks English) and I got friendly. She knew I had a hyst and in her own way let me know she had one too. She showed me her support band and told me to get one and wear it all the time, especially when I lift. As I was leaving to go home, she was there to say goodbye and remind me once again. So there may be some merit to using support even if you feel okay.
Unread 08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Emerald - I actually bought the swelly belly band and used it once - only because I bought it and wondered about it. I felt a good support panty was just as good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Like you I was told I was going to have a horizontal incision and so was planning to buy the appropriate band ahead of time, but didn't get around to it. At my pre op appt with my dr. he said he might have to do a vertical instead but would be able to tell better when I was under and on the table... so he could feel how big I was under those relaxed conditions. So I thought it was good I didn't get around to buying the band. What a relief it was to find out that I got my bikini incision, it was the first thing I checked when waking up. Just to let you know that plans can change once you are on the table and to let you know I didn't feel like I needed the band once I got home. Actually I didn't want anything touching my belly and wished I could've gone naked from the waist down for the first few weeks.
Unread 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

I too am going under with the unknown of whether vertical or horizontal incision. So for that reason I too am holding off on the swelly belly purchase. My understanding is the purchase is a quick turnaround if you should decide to buy after surgery.
Unread 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off too. I actually have a couple of pairs of support painties if I need them.
Unread 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

I waited until after surgery to order my Swelly Belly Band. I knew ahead of time that I would have a vertical incision. Didn't know until I woke up that it would extend all the way up, about an inch above my belly button. I'm alternating using the band for a few hours (feels good!) and wearing some spandex, but not-too-tight, panties to hold things up/in when I go out for a walk. My incision is so high any pants I put on are hiked up above my waist!
Unread 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Hi Emeralcitea,

I'm holding off also as I hope for a horizontal incision but doc told me she wouldn't know until she gets there. Sue
Unread 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Some hospitals send them home with you. I am having a TVH, but I understand that a lot of vaginal post ops still feel the need for the support.
Unread 08-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Swelly Belly Band?

Re the Swelly Belly Band: I have to say, I've got mine on now. The support is nice, but what I really like is the coolness. Seems to calm down some of the soreness of my 11-day-old incision.

They gave me a very large support band at the Castle. It's for vertical or horizontal incisions, and it's about15 inches wide. It takes two men and a boy to get me into it and, especially when I was having a lot of gas pains, it was uncomfortable. (I felt like the Hindenberg. There was so much pressure under that thing that I could have been a Weapon of Mass Destruction.)

So for now, I'd recommend the Swelly Belly Band. Hope I won't need it for too much longer, but so far it makes me feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register