LAVH scheduled - any advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH scheduled - any advice? LAVH scheduled - any advice?

Unread 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
LAVH scheduled - any advice?

I'm 36, have a wonderful husband, a 14yr old daughter and 2yr old daughter- i will be going in on the 23rd of this month for LAVH due to adenomyosis. The doctor told me that I would be in the hospital around 2 days depending on how things go. I am going for my pre-op visit next week. This is all new to me. What is your best advice for me? Anything from Pre-op to hospital stay to post-op. Tell me the most important things I need to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Lisa,

I'm going in on 2/12 for LAVH for the same diagnosis (Adeno)...I've been researching, reading, commenting and taking in all I can from this particular site, for basically the past month trying to prep myself for next week. I actually feel very confident after reading so many discussions. Check out the Pre-Op forum AND the Post-Op...you will find valuable information in both. I'm keeping my ovaries, but my doc gave me the option of keeping my cervix. I didn't want to have to make this decision, but I FINALLY did...I'm getting rid of my cervix too, based on information I've read and the fact that my PCP and Gyne advised me to do so.

Best of luck!

Melissa
Unread 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Hi Lisa and

Your surgery date is just around the corner and it's sounds like you are gearing up for the big day. My advice to you is:

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

You can take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles. You might find the following particularly helpful:

Coping With Pre-Op Anxiety & Fear

What to Expect at the Hospital

What to Bring to the Hospital

How Others Can Help

Is Sex Afterwards Really The Same?

You might enjoy browsing through the stories in the Tell Your Hyst-Story section. The posts are sorted by the type of surgery that was performed so it's easy to find the stories that tell about the type of hysterectomy you are scheduled to have.

Through the years, hundreds of women have shared their personal suggestions in Hints from Members that you may also want to peruse.

I am sending many positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM

I just had my LAVH on Tuesday and I must say, it was much worse worrying about it than actually having it done! I read so much here and received so many tips and great advice. So many women said it wasn't so bad and I thought, "Right..you're just trying to ease my fears." Well guess what? They were right! As for pain, it's been no more than mild cramping, although I am taking my pain meds. Mine was done for fibroids, but the procedure would still be the same. I had it done Tuesday morning and came home Wednesday afternoon. I would have come home Wednesday morning, but I hadn't been up yet since I had been pretty nauseous on Tuesday and hadn't eaten anything. I went to the dr. today and got my two little stitches out. He wants to see me next Friday as well. I can drive myself by then he said. I admit I am very tired and taking a shower about did me in this morning. I'm not used to taking it slowly, but I've got a stack of books and no little ones at home anymore, so I'm going to make the best of it. Hang in there...and read as much as you can here. There is so much info on this site. For me knowledge is power and I honestly felt very calm the morning of surgery since I truly felt I knew just what was going to happen.
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Wow you guys are really making me feel good about this. I have gotten so many great tips about what to take to the hospital to what to do post op at home! Thanks and God Bless each of you!
Unread 02-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Hi Lisa, just confirm help with your 2 year old and car pool for your 14 year old. Maybe let the teachers know you're going in for surgery so they can keep an eye on your daughter.
Pack your bag for the hospital bring what you're comfortable with but also keep in mind they generally supply all the basics.
At home put some things near your bed so when you're 2 year old wants to visit with you she'll have something to do.
Don't worry about getting everything done perfectly, accept all offers of help.
Good luck and feel good

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register