Scheduled LSH Pre-Op Phone Call | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Phone Call Pre-Op Phone Call

Unread 12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Pre-Op Phone Call

I just got my pre-op phone call from the hospital!

It just made it all more real . . . Now I'm going from really happy to scared to death every five minutes. Any suggestions for that? I'm not sure if I'm totally comfortable taking any sort of relaxer for several days - maybe the day before, but I don't want to be on it for a week.

Also thought I'd share for those of you waiting what the conversation entailed and some useful tips.

First, you'll need to know all previous surgeries you've had. If you're a bit frazzled like me, I'd say jot down the list to have with you when they call. Also be prepared for the basic medical history questions, though I think those are easier to just recall.

Secondly, the woman who called me was very sweet and encouraged me to ask questions. She even gave me their number in case I thought of more. Even if your nurse isn't as sweet, ask for that number! I've already thought of a question I forgot to ask that I'll be calling about later.

Also, even though she didn't ask, she thanked me for letting her know what reactions I'd had to pain meds in the past (Percocet makes me throw up). She said they will write it on my wrist band to avoid any complications.

Finally, I asked to be told the entire procedure from the time I get there until surgery. I don't know about you all (and so I won't share) but it helps me to know exactly what to expect. She even told me that since I'm nervous, she'll make a note to put "happy drugs" in my IV as soon as it's in.

I asked if she would be one of my nurses. She says she doesn't know, but I really hope so. She was the sweetest health care professional I've ever interacted with! Hope you all have the same good fortune with your pre-op calls/appointments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Re: Pre-Op Phone Call

That's for that, my call will be 1-14 so at least I know more what to expect. How long did the call take? My paper says to expect 30-60 minutes, did it take that long?
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Glad you find it helpful! My call lasted fifteen minutes, and wouldn't have taken that long without my questions. Feel free to ask me for any more specifics that you want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Secure17,
I have had so many surgeries and yes they will give you happy meds. Usually they will do vidals first, put in iv flush then put in happy meds to help you relax prior to going back..and if you had it like me even before that now you get a gown with a heater in it.. no kidding something plugs into and a tube with the heat and it keeps you warm and cozy so between that and happy meds you'll be feeling relaxed and wonderful.. honest.. hope this helps... the heated gown it is sooooooooooo coollllll !!!!!!
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Blondie82,

Yes, I had the heated gown last time! I wasn't sure if that was standard now or not, but I loved it last time. The only real pre-op problem last time was that I was scared and angry with hubby when they pushed the "happy meds." This resulted in my feeling absolutely terrified and angry but unable to talk. It was horrible! This then resulted in my waking up terrified. They say it was because that's how I went in. Just hoping that doesn't happen again!
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:34 AM

OMG... I just had my Pre-op call today as well and I was thinking I was on the phone for about 35-45 minutes... I just looked at my phone log and it said the phone call was only 13 minutes? I asked soooo many questions and I was pretty nervous too!

I would have liked to mention that I am pretty nervous too, but maybe if I mention that on the morning of they will help the nerves out a bit...

I can't believe it is almost here because it has always been 3 months away and now it is here and I am actually so excited with a bit of nerves on the side...

My DH is so sweet he just mentioned to me that we should bring the laptop and he would rent a bunch of movies so we could watch them in the hospital...Ahhh.. I love him so much :-)
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:56 AM

Dai,

I'm sure they'll give you happy meds. From what I hear, they're fairly standard. If you ask, though, you may get them early.

Best of luck on your surgery. I go in two days after you, so I'll be looking for your posts!
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I am glad you posted this. I am having LSH on Feb. 15. I know Happy Valentine's Day, right? I am nervous, because I have never had any surgeries. I am anxious to get my pre-op done and get the surgery over. It is good to know some of what they will be asking. I don't think I will be having a call, since I have a Doctor's appointment on Feb. 8. Thanks to everyone for sharing what is asked. Calms my nerves. I did just get my FMLA approved from work, so that has made my Christmas less stressful.
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM

My surgery is 1/10. I have had pre-op call from hospital regarding insurance, etc., visit Dr for pre-op on 1/6 and after I see him I head over to hospital for pre-op assessment and bloodwork.

I did have that warming tube when I had my D&C and it was wonderful!

Good luck to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register