Nesting? Pre-Op Anxiety? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nesting?  Pre-Op Anxiety? Nesting? Pre-Op Anxiety?

Unread 01-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Nesting? Pre-Op Anxiety?

yes, he's a GYN but he's experienced with adhesions. He'll have an oncologist assisting, actually, so i'll be in good hands. In fact, this is a teaching hospital I'm going to (Madigan Army Medical Center near Tacoma, WA) and they have all the latest stuff. I'm going to be one of the first patients to try a new procedure so i can keep my cervix. He'll explain it to me on Friday when i have my first pre op appointment, and find out when my real surgery date will be. He also told me that there's a new barrier that's even better than Intercede (not sure if that's the right spelling or not) for adhesions, and that they've had great luck with adhesions not growing back. He says my adhesions are growing mainly due to the endo, which is growing from the estrogen, so the hyster should take care of it all anyway, but better be safe than sorry. I tend to agree. I do think, though, that post surgery will probably not hurt as much as i do every month. I've had surgery to remove adhesions before (almost as extensive as this time) so i know what to expect, for the most part. The only big difference will be the hormone changes.

I sure would love those recipes. I'll probably need lots of bland foods for a while, but i'm always interested in new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Recipes For Freezer Casseroles

I am not sure if it is okay to do this but these are the recipes I have used for freezer casseroles. They might help some of you out there who plan on making and freezing meals ahead for the weeks after surgery. I know I really enjoyed them when I was unable to cook after our daughter came home.

~* HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE *~

1 (2 lb.) bag hash browns - let thaw 1 hr.
½ c. melted butter
1 (16 oz.) carton sour cream
1 t. salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
¼ t. pepper
2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
½ c. chopped onion
2 c. crushed corn flakes

Mix 1/4 c. butter with all ingredients, except corn flakes and potatoes. Put thawed potatoes in a 9x13 in. dish or larger. Pour mixture over potatoes. Mix remaining 1/4 c. butter with corn flakes and spread over top. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees

Tuna Casserole

1 (3 oz.) can Chinese noodles
1 can condensed mushroom soup
1/4 c. water
1 (7 oz.) can tuna
1/4 lb. (about 3/4 c.) cashew nuts, broken up
1 c. celery, finely diced
1/4 c. onion, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

Save 1/2 cup noodles for topping. Mix rest of ingredients together and top with 1/2 cup noodles. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.

Ham Casserole

1 med. head cauliflower
2 c. cubed cooked ham
1 (3 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
4 tbsp. Butter
1/3 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. cubed sharp American cheese
1/2 c. dairy sour cream
1 c. soft bread crumbs
2 tbsp. melted butter

Break cauliflower into buds, cook in boiling water until tender (10-20 minutes); drain. In medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and milk for white sauce. Cook and stir until mixture thickens, and bubbles. Add cheese and sour cream to sauce, stir until cheese melts. Combine cauliflower, ham and mushrooms with sauce, pour into 2 quart casserole dish. Combine bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons melted butter, sprinkle over top. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes (or until hot and bubbly) at 350 degrees.

Seven Seas Casserole

1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of celery soup
1 1/3 c. water
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
Dash of pepper
1 1/3 c. minute rice
1 1/2 c. cooked peas
1 can (7 oz.) tuna, drained & flaked
1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese

In saucepan combine soup, water, onion and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Pour half of mixture into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Make 3 layers in casserole, using rice (right from box), peas and tuna. Add remaining soup. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes cut through mixture with knife after baking 10 minutes.

Rice Casserole

1 c. rice
1 onion, chopped
2 cans chicken broth
Fresh mushrooms
1 stick butter

Put 1 cup rice in casserole dish, saute fresh mushrooms and onion in 1 stick of butter. Pour 2 cans of chicken broth over rice. Then, pour sauteed mushrooms and onion over rice. Stir and add pepper to taste. Cook uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Meatball Sub Casserole

20 meatballs (I use frozen ones that I heated in the microwave for 5 minutes.)
1-1 lb. loaf Italian bread, cut into 1" slices (this can be store bought or homemade)
1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (I used fat free, it worked well)
1/2 C. mayonnaise (DO NOT use fat free or light)
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. pepper
2 C. (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1-28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (for those of us who can their own 1 quart jar)
1 C. water
2 garlic cloves, diced (I didn't have them on hand so I used minced garlic)
Place bread in a single layer in an ungreased 13"x9"x2" baking dish. (All of the bread may not be used.) Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over the bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 C. mozzarella cheese. Combine sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 350* for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serves 6-8

Spaghetti Sausage Pie

1/2 lb. pork bulk sausage
2 C. Prego spaghetti sauce
1 egg, well beaten
2-1/2 C. cooked spaghetti (4 oz. uncooked)
1 C. ricotta cheese
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
In a 10" skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned, stirring to separate the meat. Spoon off fat. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the Prego sauce. Remove from the heat.
In bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup Prego sauce with egg and spaghetti; toss until well mixed. Spread mixture on bottom and sides of greased 9" pie plate, making a small rim.
In bowl, stir together ricotta and spinach. Spread on spaghetti shell. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register