Mini-period as a result of keeping cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mini-period as a result of keeping cervix? Mini-period as a result of keeping cervix?

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Mini-period as a result of keeping cervix?

WagerWitch -- we are truly hystersisters, as I am turning 41 this week, and doing LAVH one week before you. I am still looking for my DH, and want to be sure that I can be an "out on the town, selective" as you say gal after my surgery. I will be keeping my ovaries but the cervix is still a question, and I wanted to know these answers as well. So, thanks for asking!!
However, I've never heard of having a mini period before -- Hopefully, some other Sisters can tell me if this could result from keeping the cervix, and what causes one if not that.
I just made my New Year's resolution -- to stop menstruating -- and certainly don't want to keep something that leaves that possibility open!! I'm all about keeping healthy structures, but if there's not a true advantage, I'm saying let it go. I guess My questions are less of a sexual nature than of a lifestyle nature: I realize I would have to continue with pap smears to be sure there's no cancer if I keep it, but so far, that's the only drawback I've heard about yet. What are the advantages of keeping it vs. letting it go?
Any others have advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Hi spshlkaym!

With a supracervical hysterectomy, when the ovaries cycle there can be the normal monthly shedding from the remaining tissue. Most doctors will try to core out or cauterize any endometrium that remains, but sometimes there can be a portion that is missed. The cervix is part of the uterus and the surgeon must use their best judgment on where to draw the line separating the two.

One study found that almost 12 percent of women having a subtotal hysterectomy were experiencing ongoing bleeding one year after their surgery. Another study found 7 percent to have continued monthly bleeding.

For most women the bleeding is no more than a nuisance consisting of spotting once a month for a few hours or days but for some the bleeding is significantly more. Mini-periods will often go away in time. Some women have them for 3 or 4 months and then they taper down to nothing.

Ask your doctor about this. With aggressive cauterization of the cervical stump, mini-periods can be prevented.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 01-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizet Woman

One study found that almost 12 percent of women having a subtotal hysterectomy were experiencing ongoing bleeding one year after their surgery. Another study found 7 percent to have continued monthly bleeding.
Oh, man, I know 12% or 7% aren't high %ages, but I'd really rather be part of the 88% or 93%. My dr. said there was a very slight chance I might have mini-periods. I SINCERELY hope not!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Hi Spshlkayrn,

I had a LSH and kept my cervix. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had any mini-periods in post-op.

As Bizet Woman replied, if a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix, there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. Generally, ladies report needing a pantyliner at that time of the month.

You can get (2) schools of thought on whether to keep the cervix or not. I decided to keep my cervix since it was healthy and I was a good candidate. My cervix was sturdy and I had normal pap smears for years. Also, my Dr. told me he felt the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex...which has been true for me.

In being on Hyster Sisters...I have read posts where some Drs still want a pap smear even after the cervix is removed. So some ladies without a cervix do continue to get pap smears too.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important. I am still glad I was a good candidate to keep my cervix.

Mary
Unread 01-02-2008, 02:29 AM

spshlkayrn

I'm nearly 3 years post-op and experience mini-periods. However, for me, even "mini-period" is an exaggeration. It's just the tiniest amount of spotting, for 24-48 hours every month, that doesn't even require a liner anymore.

Most ladies have their cervix cauterised during surgery (which helps prevent it for the majority) but I didn't as my cervix should've been removed, but was left due to complications. I obviously didn't get the chance to discuss this before surgery.

To be honest, however, it's always a relief to see it every month as I then know that my ovaries are still working!

Sending all good wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register