Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 28, 2016 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 28, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 28, 2016

Unread 08-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 28, 2016

Hello Hystersisters,

My procedure is tomorrow 8/29. My procedure will be removal of my uterus, cervix, and tubes. I've never had major surgery before. I'm real nervous about the anesthesia, surgery itself, and pain afterwards. To top things off, I have had severe pain in my lower left pelvic area that is shooting down to my privates and rectum. I've been taking Tylenol every 6 hours since NSAIDs aren't allowed prior to surgery. I'm wondering how close to surgery I can take Tylenol?

Although I am nervous, I can't wait to get this over with and be pain free (hopefully) and free of heavy periods and clots.

I wish all of you here a successful surgery and recovery and I am praying over everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 28, 2016

Hi there brave ladies. I am having my tah on the 30th. Was freaking out and over preparing, but oddly calm at the moment. That could however change as the countdown start tomorrow evening. Good luck to all. You've got this.
Unread 08-28-2016, 10:03 AM

I'm having mine on Wednesday as well, I started to come down with the same thing. I have been taking emergen-c the past two days. I don't know if it is a cold or allergies. I'm trying to will this away, I have everything set with pick ups and drop offs for my daughter, and have had to wait 3 months for surgery.
I am having a robotic assisted total hysterectomy. Have
  Quote:
Originally Posted by yayi2079 View Post
Good morning ladies,

My surgery is on Wednesday 8/31. I am getting a laparoscopic total hysterectomy due to prolapse and retrocel. My concern now is that my seasonal allergies are really affecting me. Itchy ears and eyes. Sore throat and loosing my voice because all the post nasal drip. Hoping they can still do the surgery. I am wondering if I can take Emergen-c just in case I am fighting a bug too. I know some herbal supplements are a big no no but emergen-c I'd not listed.

Good luck everyone with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Ladies. Pre-op can be a very difficult time for many women. The waiting and wondering about the unknowns of surgery and what recovery will be like can be very nerve wracking . Just remember you aren't alone in what you are going through. The feelings you are experiencing and the things you are wondering about are common and there are other Sisters having the same feelings and wondering about the same things .

Staying busy will help with the nerves. I had so much going on getting ready for surgery, I didn't have time to get nervous. I also had several people praying for me and that was very comforting as I knew I was in good hands. So if you find your nerves getting the better of you, try not to focus on all the "what ifs". Instead try to find something to distract yourself...maybe some fun activity you enjoy doing; or some special treat for yourself; or reading to your little ones; or playing games with your kids (including the fuzzy, four-legged ones); or just spending time with your family; or finishing any last minute preparations; or thinking about how wonderful it will be to wear light colors anytime you want, being able to wear pretty panties without worrying that they'll be ruined, being able to go on a vacation when you want to without trying to plan one around that time of the month, not having a vacation disrupted by that time of the month, not having to map out the location of all the bathrooms when you go on an outing; or by planning some fun trip once you are recovered; or ...._______________(you fill in the blank).

If this is your first surgery or you are concerned about the anesthesia, the following articles may be helpful.

First Surgery

Talking to the Anesthesiologist Pre-Op

When Will I Wake Up Post-op?

Can My Anesthesiologist Help with Pre-Op Anxiety?

Ladies, you can do this! Before you know it surgery will be over and you will be beginning your recovery journey.

for your surgery and a quick, uneventful recovery.
Unread 08-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkjo View Post
I am have my davinci robot hysterectomy on 8/30 due to large fibroids that have caused me a lot of pain and bleeding since Jan. For some reason I am not overly nervous, just ready to be done. Maybe foolishly putting faith into a quicker recovery due to having robot use in surgery. I am seeing that some people are having to do a bowel type cleansing day before and am wondering if I am supposed to. My doctor never mentioned anything. I am also dreading staying overnight in hospital, have not done that since having my last child 16 years ago. I pray for everyone having safe surgery this week. Just think a week from now, we will be all done and on road to recovery!!!
My Dr is having me do a bowel prep because I am getting my retrocel fixed. All I have to do for my prep is 24 hrs of liquid diet and enema the night before. My surgery will be done laparoscopic. I think it all depends on the case and the situation.
Good luck.
Unread 08-28-2016, 10:50 AM

I am having a lavh on September 2nd. I am 37 years old. I am having abdominal pain for the past three weeks since I had a cyst ruptured and caused fluid to build up. The decision to have a hysterectomy was due to finding I have early stage of cervical cancer. My ob thinks he caught it early enough so I won't need chemo. He is doubting the idea of leaving my ovaries due to possible endometriosis. I am scared that they will find more problems.
Unread 08-28-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizwilliams02 View Post
Hi there! I'm having LAVH Monday (8/29) morning. Contributing factors included endometriosis, PCOS, cancerous pap. I have five auto immune diseases so any relief from this surgery will greatly improve my quality of life. I guess what I'm having a hard time accepting is being 29, I will turn 30 six days post op, and he isn't sure if he can save an ovary. I am also concerned about post op help. My sister can't take off work as she is getting married and saving all her PTO, my parents live in another state and my grandmother can't climb a flight of stairs. Any helpful advice is appreciated. And being nervous is an understatement. My GYN actually prescribed me happy pills to take before I come in. Also, im having to do a bowel prep today. Have any of you had to do that before your hysterectomies? I've done nothing but research for the past few weeks and wasn't expecting that.
I can sympathize with you on many levels. I'm only 31, so it's difficult to come to terms with this surgery. (Mine is 8/31) But, I'm glad I see someone else round my age on here! Please feel free to keep in contact.
I also will be alone post-op. My fiancé is the only one working right now, and he can't afford to take a few days off.
My family isn't very helpful, even tho they are only an hour away. So, I've been solely dependent on my honey for all support and care taking.
I've been battling cancer since 5/2015, so this is hopefully my last stint with surgeries, hospital stays & recovering.
My Gyno is also making me do a bowel prep. Yay! lol
Unread 08-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames1979 View Post
I am having a lavh on September 2nd. I am 37 years old. I am having abdominal pain for the past three weeks since I had a cyst ruptured and caused fluid to build up. The decision to have a hysterectomy was due to finding I have early stage of cervical cancer. My ob thinks he caught it early enough so I won't need chemo. He is doubting the idea of leaving my ovaries due to possible endometriosis. I am scared that they will find more problems.

Definitely write all your questions down and call your doctor tomorrow to gain some peace of mind.
I also wanted to provide you a few links:

Here is another forum to talk a bit more about your concerns also...
Gyn Cancer Concerns

Should I Keep My Ovaries or Not If I Have Endo?

Preventing Endo Recurrence

You've got this. You are not alone!
Unread 08-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanda325 View Post
I can sympathize with you on many levels. I'm only 31, so it's difficult to come to terms with this surgery. (Mine is 8/31) But, I'm glad I see someone else round my age on here! Please feel free to keep in contact.
I also will be alone post-op. My fiancé is the only one working right now, and he can't afford to take a few days off.
My family isn't very helpful, even tho they are only an hour away. So, I've been solely dependent on my honey for all support and care taking.
I've been battling cancer since 5/2015, so this is hopefully my last stint with surgeries, hospital stays & recovering.
My Gyno is also making me do a bowel prep. Yay! lol
I am 32, turning 33 three weeks after my 8/31 surgery, so by no means are you alone in being among us who are younger. It's because of my age that my doctor made me decide to have surgery. I am not dealing with anything life-threatening, for which I am very lucky, so my doctor always said that this would be the end game, but I had to make the decision. It was only after trying everything else that I realized that I needed to just get it done so I wouldn't have to bounce around among various hormone medicines anymore. It's been driving me crazy!

I am also someone who is fairly solitary. I refer to my home (town house) as my fortress of solitude. Luckily, my parents only live about 45 minutes to an hour away, so my parents are coming up the night before to take me to surgery the next day, and my mom will stay with me for a few days, and my aunt who lives an hour-plus away will visit me here and there, I gather, but I am so much more comfortable being alone at my house. I am very much the introvert, so it's where I go to be away from people to recharge (because being surrounded by people at work and family functions is draining enough, you know?). So personally, I am supereager to get to the point where I can kick out my caregivers and take care of myself...but I also realize I have to get over that whole thing, because someone will stay with me till they believe I can take care of myself by myself without any backslide in my recovery.

I feel for you, though, having to go through it alone in its entirety. I'm sure you have someone set up to take you to surgery and bring you home afterward, plus stay with you for the requisite 24 hours postop to monitor your recovery from anesthesia. But after that, I'm sure it's scary to think about having to get yourself up and down from your recovery spot, possibly going up and down stairs, getting groceries, potentially taking care of any pets, etc. If you listen to your body, take it slow, and don't overdo it, I hear you can go through recovery on your own without too much trouble... Maybe just have a couple friends on call who can stop by, even for a short visit, who can chat and bring you things you need?

Keep in touch. If I can be of any support, let me know.
Unread 08-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverIceWolf View Post
I am 32, turning 33 three weeks after my 8/31 surgery, so by no means are you alone in being among us who are younger. It's because of my age that my doctor made me decide to have surgery. I am not dealing with anything life-threatening, for which I am very lucky, so my doctor always said that this would be the end game, but I had to make the decision. It was only after trying everything else that I realized that I needed to just get it done so I wouldn't have to bounce around among various hormone medicines anymore. It's been driving me crazy!

I am also someone who is fairly solitary. I refer to my home (town house) as my fortress of solitude. Luckily, my parents only live about 45 minutes to an hour away, so my parents are coming up the night before to take me to surgery the next day, and my mom will stay with me for a few days, and my aunt who lives an hour-plus away will visit me here and there, I gather, but I am so much more comfortable being alone at my house. I am very much the introvert, so it's where I go to be away from people to recharge (because being surrounded by people at work and family functions is draining enough, you know?). So personally, I am supereager to get to the point where I can kick out my caregivers and take care of myself...but I also realize I have to get over that whole thing, because someone will stay with me till they believe I can take care of myself by myself without any backslide in my recovery.

I feel for you, though, having to go through it alone in its entirety. I'm sure you have someone set up to take you to surgery and bring you home afterward, plus stay with you for the requisite 24 hours postop to monitor your recovery from anesthesia. But after that, I'm sure it's scary to think about having to get yourself up and down from your recovery spot, possibly going up and down stairs, getting groceries, potentially taking care of any pets, etc. If you listen to your body, take it slow, and don't overdo it, I hear you can go through recovery on your own without too much trouble... Maybe just have a couple friends on call who can stop by, even for a short visit, who can chat and bring you things you need?

Keep in touch. If I can be of any support, let me know.
My fiancé is taking me to surgery since it'll be early morning before he has to head into our shop, but after that I'm on my own. I'll have a one night stay at the hospital, and the next day he's picking me up, taking me home & heading back into work. So I literally will have no one with me at all for anytime of recovery. I'm on my own. I'm not too worried, since I've been thru multiple surgeries this past year & have managed. But besides my bilateral mastectomy, this is the second major surgery. I just worry about walking and getting up & down. I obviously didn't have to worry about that with my breasts. I have a town house too, but am going to stay downstairs on the couch so I'm close to the kitchen if I need anything to eat or drink. Luckily we have a 1/2 bath downstairs too, so I'm thinking I should be all set.
I'm pre-making dinners Tuesday, so all I gotta do is pop something in the microwave & be good.
Guess we'll see.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register