Recovery after hysterectomy and prolapse repairs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery after hysterectomy and prolapse repairs? Recovery after hysterectomy and prolapse repairs?

Unread 03-02-2021, 01:09 PM
Recovery after hysterectomy and prolapse repairs?

Does anyone have any further information/tips/suggestions/info about the recovery after having a hysterectomy (LAVH - planning to leave ovaries) AND prolapse repair at the same time? My dr has scheduled an extensive OR time (5 hrs) and has told me to plan on a 12 week recovery... help! I'm super intimidated! Is the recovery going to look much different than a hysterectomy recovery other than longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2021, 03:32 PM
Re: Recovery after hysterectomy and prolapse repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenTender View Post
Does anyone have any further information/tips/suggestions/info about the recovery after having a hysterectomy (LAVH - planning to leave ovaries) AND prolapse repair at the same time? My dr has scheduled an extensive OR time (5 hrs) and has told me to plan on a 12 week recovery... help! I'm super intimidated! Is the recovery going to look much different than a hysterectomy recovery other than longer?
recovery time means the time you will have restrictions. you might feel fully recovered way before 12 weeks but since you are having prolapse repairs, you will have lifting/activity restrictions. if you dont follow the restrictions, you could damage your repairs.
Unread 03-16-2021, 05:48 PM

Hi, I had a TVH on Feb 16 with cestocele and rectocele repairs. Since I didn't have any abdominal incisions I was moving around after a week EXCEPT for I had and still have a lot of discomfort when I sit and try to have BM. I'm restricted from any lifting over 10 pounds and anything that causes me to strain. I have been told I can do yoga, pilates, stretching, walking and elliptical workouts. I just need to stop if anything hurts. It's been one month and I will have those restrictions for at least another 4 weeks. Good luck, like I'm sure you have seen, everyone is different so listen to you body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2021, 05:22 AM

Straining to have a bowel movement can also damage your repairs, so here are a few tips to prevent that: take regular walks to promote proper movements; drink enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow; start your day by drinking a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon; make sure your diet includes 25-35 grams of fiber per day from a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains; fill up on magnesium from dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa and almonds; add ground flaxseeds to cereal, smoothies, and baked goods; add in sugar alcohols from apple or pear juice, prunes, dried apricots, or sugarless gum to give your bowels an extra kick; squat while you're on the throne, with your feet elevated on a small footstool, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenTender View Post
I had the same surgery, 30 days post-op was able to return to work this week. Sitting is the biggest difficulty, very sore down there, but bearable.
Unread 03-28-2021, 02:01 PM

My procedure was done 3/15/21 vaginal hysterectomy and rectocele repair. I have no incisions on the outside all are internal.
My recovery has been better then expected. I have been feeling well but make myself rest and not do anything. I am going to start walking today. (tomorrow is 2 week)
Unread 03-28-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_C View Post
My procedure was done 3/15/21 vaginal hysterectomy and rectocele repair. I have no incisions on the outside all are internal.
My recovery has been better then expected. I have been feeling well but make myself rest and not do anything. I am going to start walking today. (tomorrow is 2 week)
Glad to hear your feeling well and resting. I’m like you, no abdominal incisions, all vaginal along with a rectocele & cystocele. I have to remind myself all the time to take it easy. I did a light Pilates workout last night. My doctor said I could do Pilates but today I’m spotting. Not sure if related. If it’s still happening tomorrow I will call the office. I’m just over 5 weeks post surgery.
Unread 03-29-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTB View Post
Glad to hear your feeling well and resting. I’m like you, no abdominal incisions, all vaginal along with a rectocele & cystocele. I have to remind myself all the time to take it easy. I did a light Pilates workout last night. My doctor said I could do Pilates but today I’m spotting. Not sure if related. If it’s still happening tomorrow I will call the office. I’m just over 5 weeks post surgery.

I have never tried Pilates or Yoga before. I am a gym rat weightlifting and cardio. I am struggling right now even with walking. I went for a 10 min walk yesterday and the spotting increased. Did you have spotting for a while after surgery? I see you’re 5 weeks out now.
Unread 03-29-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_C View Post
I have never tried Pilates or Yoga before. I am a gym rat weightlifting and cardio. I am struggling right now even with walking. I went for a 10 min walk yesterday and the spotting increased. Did you have spotting for a while after surgery? I see you’re 5 weeks out now.
I use to lift also but do Pilates for core and back. I do not like yoga! I have had discharge the entire time but occasionally I’ll have red blood spotting. I haven’t paid much attention to what activities I had been doing before hand but now I think it may be related.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register