Scheduled TVH Upcoming hysterectomy 12/17 and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/17 and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in Upcoming hysterectomy 12/17 and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in

Unread 12-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/17 and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in

Hi sisters, everyone has been so supportive on this site this is such a great resource.
I'm really nervous about Thursday. I was wondering if anyone who has had the vaginal approach had any bladder issues with leakage and incontinence afterwards? I'm already doing the kegels and such but I'm still really nervous.
Another thing is I'm not very flexible in my hips and legs and I've been trying to work on that prior to surgery but I'm really nervous about having hip pain afterwards.
I'm taking 3 weeks off going back to work at the 4th week and also wondering if maybe I should go back half time for that 4th week before I go back full time? I'm a home health nurse and I have to lift my bag with every visit so I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpm30 View Post
Hi sisters, everyone has been so supportive on this site this is such a great resource.
I'm really nervous about Thursday. I was wondering if anyone who has had the vaginal approach had any bladder issues with leakage and incontinence afterwards? I'm already doing the kegels and such but I'm still really nervous.
Another thing is I'm not very flexible in my hips and legs and I've been trying to work on that prior to surgery but I'm really nervous about having hip pain afterwards.
I'm taking 3 weeks off going back to work at the 4th week and also wondering if maybe I should go back half time for that 4th week before I go back full time? I'm a home health nurse and I have to lift my bag with every visit so I'm worried.
Hi stpm30. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. Just wanted to offer moral support as my surgery is the day after yours and can totally relate to the nerves, anxiety etc. I too am a nurse, but not going back to work for 8 weeks but I'm having a TAH. Try not to worry, we'll soon be on the other side.
Unread 12-12-2015, 10:09 AM

I didn't have a vaginal hysterectomy, so I can't answer your question on that. Regarding your question about hip pain, regular movement - like a daily walk - can help. Regarding your concerns about returning to your job, you will have restrictions on how much you can lift for at least 6 weeks - my limit was 10 lb. - so your vaginal cuff can heal properly; if your bag outweighs that, then you may want to consider taking more time off, or having someone to assist you. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Re: Scheduled the 17th and anxious

My surgery is also the same day. I am also a nurse I work in Fluoroscopy I took a 6 week leave of absence. My work will let me come back to work clinic side. I would rethink going back so early I also did home health and the driving alone I think would be too much.
I'm so concerned I will not heal properly that is why I won't go back to fluoro I won't be able to wear the lead apron and push gurneys.
Anyways, sending you positive vibes for Thursday we can do this!
Thanks,
Kenda
Unread 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Re: Scheduled the 17th and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in

Hi stpm30 -

Talk to your doctor about your job, job duties, the amount of weight you have to lift, etc. He or she may want you off for longer so that you can heal. You will also be very tired still, and so going back to a physically demanding job where you are on your feet all day may be difficult.

From other posts I read of women in similar fields, they were taking 6 or 8 weeks off.

Unread 12-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Re: Scheduled the 17th and anxious about bladder issues. Please weigh in

I just had a TLH/BSO December 10th. I did have some bladder issues immediately after surgery. I had trouble trying to produce urine. When I did, it was extremely painful. They did several bladder scans on me and my urine output was not matching the urine still in my bladder. It did take my bladder a little while to wake up. I found that once Instarted walking laps around the ward and was moving more, it became easier to pee. The nurses thought I was going to have the Foley catheter put back in, but luckily that was not the case.

As far as work goes, you may want to take more like 6 weeks off. I work in retail. I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day. I am constantly bending at the waist. I have to be able to push and pull carts of stock and must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. I can't have any restrictions when I return. You only get one chance to heal properly! Good luck to you!

Unread 12-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, my dad went into ICU with respiratory failure on top of everything else. He's doing better now and things are still set for my surgery Thursday. Again thank you all for your responses.

I had my pre-op appointment with the doctor yesterday. He was very surprised at how prepared and well informed I was, and said I had great questions. He asked me about this website and I gave it to him. I think he's going to start recommending it to his patients.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register