Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside??? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside??? Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside???

Unread 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside???

Thanks for the explanation about how the board works.

I am sorry you have had such a rough road. Just to give you some info about me. I have had right pelvic pain since 2004. The pain goes away when I am pg and comes when I ovulate until my period. Hence me thinking it is related to my ovary. My old ob did u/s's, and MRI and a colonoscopy and nothing showed up. He just brushed it off.

I had a d&c in 2006 due to a miscarriage and ever since than my body and cycles have been worse. I had a baby in May of 2007 and since than my cycles have been 26 to 36 days with 2 to 5 days of spotting with another 7 to 9 days of bleeding, with clots and 2 to 3 days of heavy bleeding. By heavy bleeding I have to change a super plus tampon every 2 hours. I know that may seem like nothing but to me it is a lot.

Well my new ob's options were an IUD (which I have tried, gave me constant cramping and spotting), birth control pills (make me out of control), I originally went in asking him to do an ablation. He said I could try that but it will not do anything for the pain. So his finaly option was a hyst.

My goal is that I don't want to go under any more than I need to (although there is the unknown, but I am talking by my choice). I don't want to see another drop of blood and I want the pain to go away. Now I know I could be mistaken on the pain and could still have it after or it may go to my left side (as my plan is to leave that ovary, but take everything else, having and LAVH). I know other things could arise, but I feel great about my decision.

Now all that being said I do have a 2nd opinion appt on the 18th of June, with a gyn that specializes in this area. Maybe there are some other options my ob does not know about.

Oh and I could be wrong, they could go in there and see stuff but I feel like I am a healthy person so that is why I feel that everything will look normal. But I do know that my cycles are not normal and I have pain. But tests have showed nothing, but I know there are things that can't be seen by those tests.

I hope that answers some of your questions and I would love to hear your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Myy cycles have never been normal without birth control pills so they are not normal now, post hysterectomy. With bcp my periods were 7-10 days long and without they were 10-15. Ovulation post hysterectomy can still cause pain and I have had several cysts since my hysterectomy and had never been diagnosed with one prior to my hysterectomy. PMS can be all over the place. I have had bleeding post hysterectomy as well thanks to interstitial cystitis (IC) -- which also explains some of my pelvic pain that was suppose to be endo and/or adhesions. Others have post hysterectomy bleeding from vaginal cuff issues, vaginal dryness/atrophy, granulation, etc. So again, a hysterectomy may not be the perfect answer for you.

I would suggest talking to a GYN who specializes in pelvic pain before you go any farther. S/he may know of some other options that might be helpful without a hysterectomy. Hopefully your second opinion doctor will have more information for you as well. You may also want to ask about and consider a hysteroscopy (to look inside the uterus) and a laparoscopy (to see outside the uterus and check out your ovaries) before proceeding with a hysterectomy. Those procedures helped me and my doctor know what was best for me -- the lap showed an endo covered uterus, endo inflammed appendix, and gave me the diagnoses of stage IV endometriosis.

I am not trying to talk you out of a hysterctomy. I am just trying to show you a bigger picture. There are too many women on the site who have posted that they regret their hysterectomy with every fiber in their being and that they traded one set of problems for an even worse set of them. Because it sounds like you are not in a desperate situation I hope you can step back and look things over again and be sure that you are making the best decision for you and your situation. I don't want you to find out in six months that you feel worse than you ever have and wish you had tried other options first.

Keep reading the site and keep researching your situation and options. S
Unread 06-06-2008, 08:31 PM

I feel similar. I do not have severe menstrual pain (anymore). My periods can be very heavy a few days. But- I've been on progerserone for 7 years to help control the severity of flow and the frequency. I've had 2 D&Cs.

My last three months of periods have been 16-21 days each and this after a D&C and progersterone adjustments...

Without the progesterone, my bleeding was so severe, I was scheduled for a blood transfusion. That was about 7yrs ago and do not have that severe of bleeding now.

My periods have never been predictable. My husband is disabled, we don't do the things that make babies, and now at 46yrs old, I'm too old to have babies anyway. I'm DONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:28 PM

I had a TVH on March 31 and my pathology all came back normal. I had my hysterectomy due to severe pain with my periods. I had several D&C and ablation procedures since 2000 and although it helped with the bleeding, it did not help with the pain. My periods were affecting my quality of life and I was very fatigued and in pain all the time. It has only been 2 months, but my painful symptoms are gone. Absolutely NO regrets. It was worth losing the normal uterus and ovary to get my life back.

Note... I have to go back to have my other ovary removed in a week due to complications from my hyst. I developed an abscess and a hematoma involving my other ovary. Now I am researching HRT since I am only 38.
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM

Sue

I have recently been to my GYN and have been told all is clear, no fibroids all is healthy including ovaries. I was told to put another mirena in (to stop heavy periods and pain) but my husband and I both have decided against that option as the first one was a nightmare for moods, low libido, weight gain and the periods just did not stop. So now off to him to request a hysterectomy. I am feeling a bit weird as if I am not worthy of one, but what more can they do? Am I?
Unread 06-09-2008, 06:33 AM

If you feel that the bleeding is too much. or that once not using Mirena everything will come back, therefore be unbearable... I think it is your choice. Worst that can happen is be told no.

Then if you still really want it, find another doc, and try again.

Only you can know exactly what your body is doing and how you deal with it.

Depression, low sex drive and constant bleeding would be a lot for me and my dh to deal with.
Good luck.
Unread 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM

My periods stopped suddenly when I was 38 years old. I stayed on birth control pills for the estrogen content for 10 years. I had a TLH/BSO 5 months ago after my Pap smears starting coming back abnormal. It took me 6 months to decide what avenue to take. My GYN and Internist both thought it was the best option because the pre-cancerous cervical cells could turn cancerous before the next scheduled Pap smear.

I was 48 years old at the time and knew I didn't want more children. Mine are grown and I have 2 granddaughters. It was the best decision for me. I'd rather have the surgery instead of risking probable cervical cancer in the future.
Unread 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM

By the way...the tests from the surgery came back showing no cancer. Do I regret going ahead with the surgery? No, I don't. Having a risk of cancer in the future was worth the surgery even though the pathology report came back clear.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:58 AM

"You will say it the best that you did for yourself"" belive me.
My frist long lasting period,and out it went I do have my ovaries,so it been good and also had my bladder supention(lifted)at same time and never cut.Now or later it is and will be the best thing you done.It been 4 years for me.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Hope,
I think I may have been in a similar situation and as I write, I'm 4 weeks post-op. I had a uterine fibroid that they thought was on top of the outside of my uterus. Very little in the symptoms department, just some discomfort, no bleeding, that's it. But they said it was the size of a grapefruit. I'm 41, healthy and not planning to have kids, so I guess you could say, with no major symptoms, it was optional. But when they told me it could be done with lapro - outpatient, short recovery I thought "why not". Might as well do the recovery while I'm young and healthy rather than waiting for bad symptoms when I'm older.

Turned out it wasn't on the outside, lapro was a no-go and I had a TAH (kept ovaries). But my uterus was the size of a canteloupe!! This was 4 weeks ago and I'm still recovering but without regrets. And yes, other than that, everything else looked fine, thankfully.

So I guess you could say it wasn't "necessary" but I'm glad to be rid of that useless canteloupe and getting better on my own terms while I'm young and hopeful that I'll get back in the swing of things before too long. Nobody, including my Dr. or my family or my workmates, or anyone questioned the decision to do it - it's not right to have these things growing in there and imho it's just a matter of time til they start doing damage. Why wait for it?

Hope that is helpful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register