Scheduled TAH Pain-irritability waiting for surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain-irritability waiting for surgery date Pain-irritability waiting for surgery date

Unread 05-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Pain-irritability waiting for surgery date

Hi,
I'm scheduled to have a TAH on May 12th. This is all happening so fast for me. Last July I had an ablation done because of heaving bleeding and at that time I had 2 fibroids. I had a lot of cramping back then prior to the ablation, but after I stopped bleeding and the cramps were gone. The doctor said I might need the ablation done again because of the size of the fibroids. A couple months ago I started getting pain in my lower left side like when you ovulate only it was all the time. My boyfriend kept asking me to see the doctor but I kept putting it off thinking it would go away.
A little over a week ago I started getting really tired...so tired that I couldn't stay awake, which isn't like me. Then 6 nights ago while talking to my son on the phone I felt something wet and when I looked it was blood. By the time I got to the bathroom it was gushing.
The ER doctor examined me and by the time that was all done (7 hours) pain had set in. He said I had ovarian cyst and said I needed to see my gyn. I saw my gyn the next day and he did ultra sound and other test on my and found that the fibroids had grown and I had 2 ovarian cyst. The bleeding comes and goes, but the pain gets worse as the days go by. He gave me pain medication to take until I have my TAH on the 12th. He said there really isn't anything else he can do to keep me from having to have a hysterectomy. I avoided it last time with the ablation.
I have pain that feels like a knife at times and other times my entire left side feels sore all the way into my back. The worse part is I'm so mean to everyone...then I cry because I really don't want to be. The baby was chewing grapes and I was annoyed and told him to get away from me because he was chewing like a cow....he's only 3. Then I cried for an hour because I was mean to him. It's like I can't control myself. Is this normal? What's wrong with me? Why am I so mean? It's not at all like me to be like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Re: Pain-irritability waiting for surgery date

Sorry that you aren't acting yourself lately and having struggles like you are. Sometimes that happens. I found myself actually being a grouch before surgery when I was stressing about it. Once I calmed myself down and used not only my pain pills I had been given to use pre op, but also used heating pads which seemed to help, I actually felt better and realized that I was being a witch big time!
One suggestion would be to visit with your doctor again and let him/her know what is going on, as it could possibly be some type of reaction to the pain meds. For instance, if I take percoset, I get very mean and hateful. Something about that with my body chemistry doesn't mix too well I guess! Hang in there, it isn't too far away and you will hopefully feel much better. I am 5 weeks post op now, not on HRT and feel wonderful, with a few minor and I do mean very minor night sweat, hot flashes and mood swings. usually you can "feel them coming on" and do something to avoid a really bad mood swing...walk, take a "time out" like I do and just be alone a while. It does seem to help me. Good luck!
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:03 AM

I agree that a talk with your dr might be helpful
It could be something that you are reacting to.

Or it could be a combination of your stress and emotions. I know that I was a mess while waiting fior my surgery. I was short tempered and cried a lot. With everything that you have been and are still going through, I can only imagine how tired and emotional you are.

Best wishes, I hope that things will settle down for you soon. I hope for a smooth surgery and recovery for you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2009, 08:50 AM

BlackScorpion,
I feel for you. I feel like I could have written your post. I don't have the same medical issues as you - I have endo and suspected adeno and I have TAH/BSO scheduled for May 26th. I have been terribly grouchy. My poor DH and kids are paying for the fact that I feel awful all the time. I think for me, it is the fact that my pain meds are really not helping at all. I called my dr twice last weel but he did not return my call. I think it has to do with the pain, the stress of all of it. I have been focusing on the physical side of this surgery so much that I think I have not really come to terms with the emotional side of it. I think that it really affects all parts of you. Take some time for you and relax if you can. I hope things get better for you soon. I will be praying for you.
Katrina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register