Scheduled for Surgery - So Many flies in the Ointment to Deal With Still - HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for Surgery - So Many flies in the Ointment to Deal With Still - HELP Scheduled for Surgery - So Many flies in the Ointment to Deal With Still - HELP

Unread 05-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Scheduled for Surgery - So Many flies in the Ointment to Deal With Still - HELP

Okay - I cannot bear to get into my myriad of past ills - Long story shortened not to read like war and peace... CIN3, DCIS right breast, leep, 2 lumpectomies 38 radiation treatment 8 months into tamoxifen - phantom lower abdominal pain - yada - yada - yada - made difficult defcison to opt for hystercetomy due to fibroids age (40 years young lol) and wanted peace of mind to avoid reoccurence and ovarian cancer etc. Should be proud of my prudent decison. Well, I seemed to have opened pandora's box. Please do not get me wrong and I am not whining. I am fortunate to have an awesome team of doctors - it is just I am so tired of being an anomoly. If 99% are benign I am the 1% cancerous. The odds are seemingly always not in my favor. Okay here goes. I need a TAH due to the possibility of them finding cancer. I need an uterine sling(requiring a pelvic urogynecological surgeon) since 1 of my several fibroids in nestled in my bladder and when they remove everything it may well all fly south. I had a pelvic MRI - my phantom pain is rampant endometriosis and ademyosis? The kick in the butt is that when all is said and done since my cancer is estogen receptive I can't take any hormones to suppress this crap after the surgery such as Lupron etc.. But wait it even gets better... they might not be able to take the whole cervix due to the adhesions and that leaves me with colposcopies every 6 months. They even think they have to take my nodes as well(they need a gynecological oncologist surgeon on call too) and I might need some bowel & bladder reconstruction(requiring a gastroenterological surgeon) . As if the wholeTAH wasn't enough to worry about. ANYONE been in any portion of my shoes? I am trying to be alm after all I am fortunate to have the doctors covering all bases, I cannot imagine how all 4 surgeons will fit in a small OR room - or will they rotate like musical chairs? hmmmmmmmmmm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey
ANYONE been in any portion of my shoes?
Hi neesey!

It sounds like you have "a full plate" as far as your upcoming surgery. I've been in the fibroids/TAH/BSO portion of your shoes. It wasn't the most pleasant time of my life, but...now that it's in the past, looking back at that time, it wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

I wish you all the best on your journey to good health!

Many s to you,
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Neesy,
Well I have only been in a small portion of your shoes. I too am one who falls into the low end of the odds category! For example, go to a professional hockey game (12 years ago), play 50/50 raffle. Do I win the raffle? No, I get hit in the neck with a puck! Sound familiar? I also have the adenomyosis, oops mean had, adeno. It's no fun. I was supposed to keep ovaries, but lost right due to my 3rd dermoid (oh yeah guess what the odds are of having recurring dermoids...10%), my left ovary is just a fraction of what it should be and it is not working and according to my bloodwork I'm in menopause, (I'm 41). I am researching HRT as I had a DVT last year after a simple knee scope. Actually having the knee scope opened the pandoras box leading to my hysterectomy. I Have had horrendous periods since I started them, but with BCP's I had in under control. As soon as I was off the pills the raging problems came back! I can tell you this though, even though I am having , headaches and trouble , I am sooooo glad to not be in pain anymore. It is a fair trade, so far.
My problems are no where as serious as yours, and I want you to know that you will be in my 's as you try and make the best decision for you. Sending you a big , well make that a double !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the support - Yep I have insomnia and migrianes too - but they are just a mere annoyance compared to the pain & fear I experience on a daily basis. To tell you the truth - I must have really p'oed someone in a psat life because I am really getting a bad shake these days - lol - I know stop whining - and count my blessings.
Unread 05-23-2006, 08:46 AM

You're helping me get it all in perspective. Thanks for your honesty.
marthakay
Unread 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM

it does sound like you have a positive attitide as that is what can help get us thru this.
I have to admit you are one of the "fortunate" ones that it seems as you put it "p'oed someone in your past life" lol!!!
It still doesnt make it easy with all that you have to go thru.

I had sveral of the same problems you have listed and to tell you the truth my doctors werent talking well and so I have had to have 3 other surgeries and have 2 more scheduled, so it sounds like you are being very well taken care of and I do think that it sounds like they are listening to you, just make sure you keep a journal of what they are supposed to do for yu before hand and then post op write down what is said and things that went well etc, this way you kno who said and did what and you know what questions to ask the right person (considering you have an army of Doctors playing musical chairs)

Make sure you listen to your body and make sure they listen to you!

I am sorry for your pain and suffering and I wish you the best and fastest recovery!
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:43 PM

I got to be "special" too!
After surgery I was found to have cancer - leiomyosarcoma instead of a normal fibroid. I have seen estimates of the frequency of this from one tenth of one percent to one in a million :confuse:
I was shocked and not exactly happy to "win" this one. But after tests showed that the cancer was in very early stages and showed no signs of metasasis, my gyn put it in perspective:
I was whining that I couldnt win with a lotto ticket, but I got this and he said "You did better than win lotto. This cancer is often not found until it is much more advanced. Yours was found very early and we did the right kind of operation (TAH) to avoid spread. The pathology department were alert enough to find it and send a sample to an expert for verification. You have had a CT scan and found no more cancer. A lottery ticket wouldnt have done you much good if this hadnt been found early!"
Unread 05-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Neesy,

I'm so sorry you're having this all thrown at you at once. I've heard not very nice things about that Tamoxifen and it sounds like it did a number on you! Hopefully this is just your fibroids acting up and the hyst. will take care of it. I'm reading alot of "mights" in your post which is good because it means that nothing definite has been presented you you, i.e cancer and cervix removal. A bladder sling is better than no bladder, yes? Stop the stinkin' thinkin' and start telling yourself positive things. As for the HRT, you most likely wouldn't want to really take anything anyway due to the endo which also feeds on estrogen.

I hope everything turns out well for you and all of the "mights" turn out to be "werent's".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register