Would you go back to work before surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you go back to work before surgery? Would you go back to work before surgery?

Unread 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Would you go back to work before surgery?

Hi there.....if your DR oks your time off and you can afford it, then maybe you should. In my case I worked the day before my hyst until 3. I have to admit I wish I would have had the day off. The rest of the day I was a trainwreck!! I ended up taking 10 weeks off after my hyst. I have a very physically demanding job. Mine was ALL unpaid. It was a little tight on the budget but we made it through. I wish you the best with your desicion...it is not an easy one. I suppose if you had a nicer boss that might help. It is hard to be at 100% when you feel bad. I have to fake it at work and it is hard. My boss knows I have a couple ongoing health issues and she has been really cool, I guess I am pretty lucky. The boss before her was not cool. Good luck and take care.....Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Shamrock4 I think that you should do what makes you comfortable and sane. If not going to work before the surgery is what you need and you can afford to then that is what you should do. Do what's best for you. Once again it stinks that your boss is the way that she is. I am thankful that my boss was great. He has always found a hygienist to fill in for me with my health issues. I had melanoma surgery and many appts. last October and he even went to mass the morning of my surgery and prayed to the patron saint of cancer for me! (we catholics have a saint for practically anything!) I thought that was so sweet of him.

Good luck and be good to YOURSELF!
Diana
Unread 08-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Pinkone..My job is both physically and emotionally demanding, and y'know I didn't even think about paid time off etc...shows how my mind is today...but I do believe I have enough LTS to be ok and get paid. The way I am feeling at the moment I would take it off unpaid. but then sensibly I also have a mortgage...crazy thoughts this w/end just so listless and stressing, and definately not wanting to deal with any thoughts of work right now. So unusual for me, until last week, I am Miss get up and go, Miss Upbeat, Miss, where's my next challenge, lets go for it!....positive full of energy.....even when I don't feel like it...This is not the usual me...Do I blame it on the sudden news of having this surgery or was it something brewing...is it an excuse, I just don't know....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 06:11 PM

I was reading all your responses again, gosh I do sound so whiney, I'm sorry, just weird emotions right now and no enthusiasm, especially for work...just want to stay home and ready myself and my house for post-surgery days....Most of you seem to have worked until the day or so before, am I odd feeling like this, lack of interest for work etc....?
Just not sure what to do for the best, all I know is I DON'T want to go back to work until its all over and I am recovered.... whats wrong with me!
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Hi Shamrock- I would suggest that you talk with your doctor about how you are feeling. If you really don't feel you can go back to work and feel a lack of support there, it may be for the best for you to either modify your schedule or take the time off. In the whole realm of things, it only amounts to an extra 9 work days.. When you talk with your doctor, let him know how stressed your boss is making you feel and how it is affecting you.
Your surgery is just a few days after mine. Believe me, my mind has not been on work for about a week now... it's difficult to get tasks completed. I'm thankful though for having such supportive coworkers and administration. I think its the lack of support that is getting to you...
Good luck!!
Jackie
Unread 08-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Jackie, I do think you have a very good point there. Lack of support is definately an issue. I know that with the demands of my job too I am causing a huge "inconvenience" and made to feel so bad...Its very sad working in a healthcare environment and have no suport, especially when boss etc know I am completely alone, but that is how it is in many places I hear...we take care of patients, but not each other.... I will talk to my doc weds. at my appt with her and I think she will understand. I appreciate everyones' input any more advise would be great, this is a bit of a dilemma and just not sure what is the "right" thing to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register