Less than 2 weeks post hysterectomy: need encouragement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than 2 weeks post hysterectomy: need encouragement Less than 2 weeks post hysterectomy: need encouragement

Unread 09-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Less than 2 weeks post hysterectomy: need encouragement

It was encouraging reading other stories from women who had surgery around the same time as mine. Mine was 9/3. Vaginal hysterectomy plus mesh and sling inserted... i felt better right after surgery than I did a week later. I am already frustrated with how long this road to recovery appears to be. Still lots of cramping and peeing all the time -- likely bladder spasms from what I am reading on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Re: Less than 2 weeks postop: need encouragement

i would think it's normal to have bladder irritation so soon after surgery. plus you have a vaginal cuff that needs to heal. if you feel like you could possibly have a UTI, you should let your dr. know.
Unread 09-16-2020, 05:14 AM
Re: Less than 2 weeks post hysterectomy: need encouragement

and

Consider what this surgery entails. You've had 5 sets of ligaments and many blood vessels cut as well as organs removed, and what was cut has been stitched or cauterized - plus you had additional work done. It's no wonder we're our doctors' patients for up to 8 weeks. Recovery really does have to be thought of in terms of weeks rather than days, definitely not like getting over a stomach bug. I'm thinking you might have to adjust your expectations.

You were given some good links in your New Member post. A few which I like for guiding new members are our Hysterectomy Recovery Videos on the Recovery Splash page and the Hysterectomy Checkpoints for a week-to-week guide (you can sign up to receive Checkpoints in email, too).

Probably the best source of encouragement is your Recovery Thread, a dedicated group chat for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for Aug 31-Sep 06. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company. I'm guiding that particular thread, and I can say with certainty that you are not alone in feeling frustrated. We'd love to have you join us!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM

I tried to put my post there...but??
Unread 09-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_58 View Post
It was encouraging reading other stories from women who had surgery around the same time as mine. Mine was 9/3. Vaginal hysterectomy plus mesh and sling inserted... i felt better right after surgery than I did a week later. I am already frustrated with how long this road to recovery appears to be. Still lots of cramping and peeing all the time -- likely bladder spasms from what I am reading on here.
I had the same thing done on 9/2. I was feeling pretty good a few days post-op and had booked a few nights at a local resort since I thought it would be a great way to recover - just staring at the ocean and relaxing in a fancy hotel with my hubby and my doggie. I'm so glad that I did that, but as my luck would have it, I started hemorrhaging the first night at the hotel and ended up in the ER and had an emergency surgery. Fortunately I didn't need a transfusion but it was close, I was losing a LOT of blood quickly. Fortunately I was discharged the same day as surgery and was able to return to the hotel for a couple of days of literally just taking it easy. I'm not one to sit still, so I understand your frustrations - this is feeling like such a LONG process, especially when once you feel a little better it's really easy to over do it!

Hang in there, I hope things are getting better. How is your sling working for you? I haven't leaked a bit since my surgery, which is pretty awesome - but OH BOY am I scared to sneeze or cough!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register