LAVH Back to work experiences? Working with special needs children | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work experiences? Working with special needs children Back to work experiences? Working with special needs children

Unread 09-23-2021, 11:32 AM
Back to work experiences? Working with special needs children

I had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. Recovery has been going well as far as I can tell. I’m experiencing that week 3 fatigue and have 3 more weeks until I return to work without restrictions. I was looking to get a sense of others experiences pertaining to returning to work. I have a physically demanding full time job working with special needs children who can show some aggression. On a typical day I walk 6-8 miles just while I’m working. The doctor assured me I would be able to lift and withstand some aggressive behavior at 6 weeks but I have some concerns. What have your return to work experiences been like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2021, 10:27 AM
Re: Back to work experiences? Working with special needs children

I was hoping some of our ladies with more physical jobs would be able to share their insight, but I'll share my experience with a non-physically demanding job because there are some lessons in it.

I returned at 15 days to my part-time desk job at further reduced hours. I figured I'd be fine sitting at a desk, but instead I was rewarded with dull crampy aches, swelling, back ache, fatigue and stress from catching up. Simply sitting upright for a few hours uses the core more than we realize. I ended up working another week at further reduced hours. When I started turning the corner on feeling human again in my 4th week, that's when it really became evident that I returned too early. I was released at that time to resume activities gradually (I kept my cervix - no vaginal cuff), but I couldn't bounce up and down a flight of stairs with my usual enthusiasm. I also noticed pressing down on one of those heavy-duty desktop staplers (the kind that can staple 50 sheets together) caused twinges, and I got a coworker to staple what I needed - we both laughed about it. By 3 months I could pick up 30# storage boxes again, but not yet 50# without feeling twinges. What you have to do is listen to your body - if you do something and it hurts, don't follow through.

The walking may be do-able, unless you've not been walking during recovery. Are you walking right now? How is that working for you?

I'm not sure if you teach and are in a classroom setting, or if you are a therapist and are one-on-one with the children. Do you have someone else with you who can help? I would start writing down the details of the tasks and possible situations where you might be physically engaged with an aggressive child - weight you might have to move, etc. Sometimes we can tell a doctor we have a physical job, but without details, they don't fully know what that might mean. If at your release you are concerned, discuss with your doctor about returning to restricted duties for a few more weeks. Also talk to your supervisor / administration.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register