Difficulties following treatment - Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Difficulties following treatment -  Help! Difficulties following treatment - Help!

Unread 09-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Difficulties following treatment - Help!

I had TAH surgery 4/26. Diagnosed with ovarian and uterine cancer in addition to endometriosis. But all the biopsies came back clear so very blessed. Yet frustrated at how bad my vertical scar still looks even tho i've been using mederma. Also have a shelf and i swear more swelling on my left hip that makes it my figure look almost deformed. And still numb across left hip/groin area from nerve damage that i hope eventually goes back to normal. But beyond feeling nothing like myself, no energy, moody and can't do any HRT, the sex is still very painful (which has always been a big part of my marriage). Hubs has been patient but it feels like i'm ripping the continues to burn afterwards. Doesn't help my hubby is well endowed which was always enjoyable before but sad that I wish for MUCH smaller or not at all. Anyone have a similar scenario with the surgery, cancer, and/or post-op changes? Also, any feedback on Effexor? My dr gave me the RX as an alternative to HRT plus it's an anti-depressant. But after reading about all the side effects I still haven't started taken it yet. Plus I'm on adderall and need to ask if there are any conflicts when i go to my 3mo followup from being cleared on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2018, 11:23 PM
Re: Difficulties following treatment - Help!

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of these issues, (((totalhystlsmo))), and you certainly aren't alone. Definitely keep your doctors in the loop on everything and don't be shy about speaking up if something isn't working. I had a horizontal incision (bikini cut) and also had some nerve issues for a while following surgery. I had the numbness and also a strange wet sensation, if I leaned against something and hit the area just right (the counters where I worked at the time were just the right height for this). But, that all finally resolved, and it's likely yours will as well. Hang in there!

Unread 09-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Definitely talk to your doc before taking the Effexor (or any SSRI or SNRI) when you're already taking Adderall as you run the risk of serotonin syndrome. There *are* people who've taken them together successfully, but the dosages need to be adjusted carefully. It may take you a while to find the right mix.
Unread 09-18-2018, 07:16 AM

I was on Effexor for years, although as an anti-depressant only. I would tread carefully with that one unless it's your best/only option. I would get crazy sick if I was a few hours late with a dose and feel bad for days after. Getting off of it entirely took the better part of a year, and I literally slept for months straight. I got up to eat, pee, shower, go to the doctor (and even then could barely walk), that was it. My experience doesn't seem unusual, although more severe than most - with most people withdrawal lasts a few weeks, according to the internet. I would at least discuss this with your doctor. It may be the right medication for you, but just make sure you get all the information needed before deciding.

Have you tried vaginal dilators? Post-hyst things can, er, dry out and shrink. Some people find that helps.
Unread 09-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Thinking about this further, SSRIs are not a one-on-one replacement for HRT. They're known to work specifically on hot flashes and night sweats, but those aren't the issues you're having.
Unread 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM

I think Effexor is an SNRI not an SSRI, but I'm not entirely sure if that makes a difference in this instance. Totally out of my wheelhouse here! Just mentioning that in case it makes any sort of difference.
Unread 09-18-2018, 12:17 PM

That's a good point about Effexor being an SNRI. I poked around a bit and found the following article published in 2017:

Do SSRIs and SNRIs reduce the frequency and/or severity of hot flashes in menopausal women

I haven't found any documentation indicating that Effexor duplicates any other effects of HRT besides hot flashes and night sweats, though.
Unread 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalhystlsmo View Post
I had TAH surgery 4/26. Diagnosed with ovarian and uterine cancer in addition to endometriosis. But all the biopsies came back clear so very blessed. Yet frustrated at how bad my vertical scar still looks even tho i've been using mederma. Also have a shelf and i swear more swelling on my left hip that makes it my figure look almost deformed. And still numb across left hip/groin area from nerve damage that i hope eventually goes back to normal. But beyond feeling nothing like myself, no energy, moody and can't do any HRT, the sex is still very painful (which has always been a big part of my marriage). Hubs has been patient but it feels like i'm ripping the continues to burn afterwards. Doesn't help my hubby is well endowed which was always enjoyable before but sad that I wish for MUCH smaller or not at all. Anyone have a similar scenario with the surgery, cancer, and/or post-op changes? Also, any feedback on Effexor? My dr gave me the RX as an alternative to HRT plus it's an anti-depressant. But after reading about all the side effects I still haven't started taken it yet. Plus I'm on adderall and need to ask if there are any conflicts when i go to my 3mo followup from being cleared on Friday.
Hi Total, I really feel for you because I'm kind of in the same boat...I had a davinci hysterectomyin Feb, removing uterus, ovaries, tubes and cervix. I had a very rough recovery, despite the fact that I'm very fit and otherwise healthy.

I'm sort of back to normal now, but I am having trouble with sex. I also can't take HRT supposedly, although some women here have told me it's not contra-indicated with endometrial cancer (mine was 1A). So I went to a new gynecologist and she gave me something called Revaree, a vaginal insert for use every two days and a new lube called Uberlube. On the lube, I can vouch for it...it's like a miracle, best lube I've ever used. You can get it online or ar Amazon. 5 stars.

However, my vagina is shorter, and I'm worried about pushing against the vaginal cuff now, instead of my cervix, which used to feel good. I'm pretty upset about the dryness of my vagina...while on estrogem, I was always moist and now it's like I have a totally different one. This is very sad for me!

As far as effexor, I sdvise against it. As someone else here said, it's extremely hard to get off of. I was on it about 10 years ago, and it took me months to wean myself off of. I heard of something called Relizen for hot flashes, which I might try.
Unread 09-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Wow thanks all so much for the responses. I realize now i'm not getting notified so didn't think i had any replies. Glad i checked! A quick update. Had a followup appt with my Dr a couple weeks ago. Had a bone density test done to start a baseline since not having any hormones might increase my chances for osteoperosis. The good news is my bone density is pretty good for my age (53). They also referred me to lympedema PT and a pelvic floor PT. So far the1st lymph PT session yesterday seemed really weird but trying to stay positive. I have compression tape fanned out in a design on my sides of my rib cage down to my pelvic bone that the therapist put on me to "open" up the paths to decrease swelling. Looks like a hot pink tribal tatoo, lol. 1st Pelvic floor PT session is tomorrow. I'm seriously hoping it helps cuz i'm really very sad about all of this (but luckily hide it well). Will let ya'll know how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register