how long before escaping the house? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long before escaping the house? how long before escaping the house?

Unread 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
how long before escaping the house?

I'm trying to get an idea of how long I'll be prisoner to the house w/ a TAH? I know it'll depend on what I'm doing, but I'm trying to get an idea of the first time I might step outside for a walk down the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Re: how long before escaping the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDJ View Post
I'm trying to get an idea of how long I'll be prisoner to the house w/ a TAH? I know it'll depend on what I'm doing, but I'm trying to get an idea of the first time I might step outside for a walk down the driveway.
Does your house have steps to get out? If it does it could be a couple weeks, if not you can usually walk outside for a bit each day once you leave, but I wouldn't walk alone.

Where I was staying had steps, and I didn't get outside walking for about 2 wks after left the hospital. I walked inside the house every day. During that time the only comfortable position was walking or lying down, but in the beginning once you lie down getting up is really hard and hurts.
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I was walking outside my house at about 5 days post op - but like the previous sister, was walking around in my house as soon as I got home and in the hospital the day after the surgery. Surgery was at 7:30am Wed and was walking around the hospital Thursday afternoon. Everyone is different and you really won't know til you get there, but be sure to take it SLOW. Like everyone says, you only get one chance to heal, do it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Everyone is different, but my experience was to stay indoors until day 6. But I had a catheter in, so I stayed inside for 6 days because of that.

On a positive note, I was actually able to drive myself to the doctor on day 6 to have the catheter removed. I only had very, very minor discomfort with driving on day 6.

But you'll need to listen to your body and do what is right for you. Good luck!!
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM

I was happy to stay inside my house and not set food outside until week 2. After that I took very short walks outdoors, around the yard, that kind of thing. Around week 3.5 or 4 hubby would take me to stores to walk at night cause it was so very hot here during the day.
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:39 AM

I was in the hosp for 3 nights and was out of the house the first evening after I was home. Went for a short drive and had a short walk. I had spent way too much time trapped indoors prior to the TAH this year. Luckily my body was nice too me and let me take short walks outside every day. Just as others here say "listen to your body."
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:47 AM

I walked around the house and outside the day I got home. We have a large patio in back yard that we go to to smoke so I went out there alot. It was slow moving for sure. The next several days I walked to the end of the block. About 4 days later I went to my husband's work with him one night just to get out of the house. At 6 days home I went back to Dr office to get staples removed and then to Walmart. It was hard to get in and out of my husband's truck because it's so tall and then my mom's car because it's so low. LOL

Also I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks. You might ask your doc how long you will not be allowed - that was the hardest for me. There was one day when my husband was an hour away for a meeting and all 3 of my kids had some where different to be. I had to call 3 friends to help. That was hard but it is all good now because I can drive again.
Unread 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM

After being "imprisoned" in the hospital for 8 days I really enjoyed my home.
First time outside: 2 weeks after surgery, grocery shopping with DH.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM

I was up and about in 3 days...but in a limited fashion. We have stairs, and I was told to make only two trips up and down the first week. But, I went on very brief trips to the store, etc. It was exhausting, but need ..for sanity sake. You can get through this period!!! Best wishes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register