Hysterectomy Surgery and PTSD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Surgery and PTSD Hysterectomy Surgery and PTSD

Unread 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Hysterectomy Surgery and PTSD

Hi ladies,

I don't have a date set for my hysterectomy, but I have a question for all of you. Do any of you have suggestions for a fellow sister who has severe PTSD for hospitals? I thought I had worked through it completely but last night I was in the ER with my partner, who had a severe migraine, and the PTSD anxiety hit me big time. Any thoughts or helpful hints as I prepare for major surgery?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Re: Surgery and PTSD

Be upfront with your doctor and pre-op nurse/surgical team the day of. They can help you work out a plan, be it anti-anxiety medications to get you to the hospital or giving you the really good ones as soon as you get there.

Are you working with a therapist?
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM

As irmctexas has just suggested, be upfront,and get the support you need before your op.I wish I had.I'm pulling back now,but it might have made it much easier for me afterwards.good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM

I do have PTSD but not specifically re: hospitals. My PTSD is, however, contributing to my big time anxiety about this surgery. In my appt with my therapist yesterday, she said it makes complete sense why I feel the way I do. I have had bad things happen in my life where I had no control over. And one of those things was being ignored and misdiagnosed for over a decade (arrhythmia diagnosed as anxiety). That made me not trust medical professionals very much. And the PTSD makes me not really trust anyone - even my own judgement. It also makes me think that bad things are always going to happen.

How to get over it? I wish I knew. I am trudging thru. Taking anti-anxiety meds and being an open book with all of my doctors/nurses and anyone who will listen.

I also do some CBT exercises that do help. Whenever I have a negative thought, I try to replace that thought with a rational, positive response. Doing it on paper helps even more.

I try to remind myself that I have been through some really scary, crappy ordeals and I have made it through. I can do it again.

And lastly, I was never a good meditator. But I have downloaded some guided imagery meditations (some specifically to prepare for surgery) and they actually are helping me in my worst moments to ward off a panic attack.

Sending good vibes. I hope you can find some peace. But don't expect a full on cure. It will be hard regardless. (((HUGS)))
Unread 03-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Cheers 44. I found your post really helpful.Its good to know you're not on your own when it comes to things like this.I sometimes think that no one understands,but after reading that I know I'm definitely not.x
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM

Hi Becca
I too have PTSD after going through a very traumatic experience in labour which led to me bleeding out and nearly dying. I swore that I would never step foot in a hospital again.
Unfortunately after being in chemically induced menopause for nearly 4 years I was told i had to have a total hysterectomy.
The fear I felt was so intense I told the doctors this was not happening....I was told there was no other option.
I went to see my surgeon and explained to him my fears and he was wonderful, and talked me through the procedure. I was still so scared though.
On the day of my surgery I cried in the car, pleaded with my husband to take me home... he didn't. I really think if I had not been fasting I would have been sick.
When I got to the hospital the nurses were brilliant, the anesthiest came to see me and again was brilliant.
One down at the operating theatre I panicked really badly and tried to make a run for it off the bed but I think they expected me to freak out and I was put to sleep before I even knew what was happening. I was home first thing the next day.
I'm 10 days home from my surgery and I feel fab, have not took any meds in the past 4 days. I'm actually glad I have gotten it done, now it's time to move my life on and I'm looking forward to it.
Talk to your surgeon.. Tell him about your PTSD and how bad it is, find out your options, ask can you have a pre med which may calm you down.

Thinking of you and hope your surgery go's well.

Jules xx
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Re: Hysterectomy Surgery and PTSD

Thanks, ladies, for your advice.

I have been seeing a therapist for a while now (over a year) and she has helped me immensely. I thought I had the PTSD completely under control/"cured." I used to have panic attacks when I heard sirens or saw police cars/fire trucks/ambulances. Loud noises also used to set me off. I guess some background here would be helpful-to make it as short as possible, I was shot in the legs and while the bullet missed everything except tissue and nerves, it was still pretty darn traumatic. Anyway, noises, tv shows, sirens would all set me off and I would be a mess. However, unless I'm extremely tired, they no longer do that. Then, the other day, I was at the hospital with my partner and the hospital room was the same style that I was in after I was shot. I've thought of having a tour of the hospital and working on it more with my therapist, I'm just super nervous that after surgery I'll be such a mess and then start having flashbacks as well.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register