Wonder if It Would Hurt Anything....... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wonder if It Would Hurt Anything....... Wonder if It Would Hurt Anything.......

Unread 01-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Wonder if It Would Hurt Anything.......

This is kind of a "different" kind of question, but it's one that I am really wondering about. My surgery is scheduled for 10:45am on Monday morning. I am to report to the hospital at 9:15am that morning. I want to attend the 8:15am Mass at our church before going to the hospital that morning. Even though I have been told to not eat or drink anything after midnight on Sunday night, I am wondering if it would hurt anything for me to take communion at 8:15 that morning. I probably wouldn't partake of the wine, but would just eat the communion host. As you know, they are such tiny little wafers. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything for me to have that little bit in my tummy prior to surgery. I can't think of any better way to head into surgery that morning.... than to have just received Jesus into my body through the sacrament of Holy Communion. It would be a huge huge comfort to me that day!! What do you think? Anyone done this just before surgery?

Kim K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 04:39 PM

I completely understand your question. And I also see how you can say "it is such a tiny little thing." But from my own experiences, and those of my family, we were told not so much as a drop of water before several different. So, I would advise against taking communion, and I believe God will understand. You may wish to call the hospital or your dr's answering service and ask them your question. Keep in mind, the anesthesiologist also has requirements reguarding food before a surgery, as you life is in their hands, so if you would be able to contact them, they may have some answers for you. Best wishes to you for Monday. s
Unread 01-14-2006, 04:43 PM

I think you'd better check with your doctor -- but it's probably a VERY BAD idea. Go to mass, but don't take communion -- save that for after surgery. I think the reason you're not supposed to eat or drinking ANYTHING for at least 12 hours before surgery is so that there's no possibility you'll aspirate your own vomit during surgery. That is, won't choke to death from your stomach contents while under general anesthesia. At least, that's my understanding. Maybe there are some medical folks here who can say for sure, but I wouldn't do anything "unapproved."

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 04:53 PM

I agree that you should skip the communion host. I know that it's a tiny wafer but like the others - I was told "NOTHING" by mouth after midnight or surgery might be canceled. Attend mass , accept the blessings but please do not partake of anything by mouth without getting prior approval from your dr.

S
Unread 01-14-2006, 04:54 PM

(((kimk))))

I have to agree with the others. I was in the OR holding area once and an older lady said she had gotten up at 4:00 a.m. and had a couple bites of toast. The anesthesiologist came in and told her he would have to postpone her surgery for fear of aspirating that small amount of food. Granted, the communion host is a little smaller than a couple bites of toast, but I still wouldn't want to take the chance.

As someone posted earlier, God will understand. Go to mass, it will help you get thru the morning.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

and

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register