verical incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

verical incision verical incision

Unread 01-29-2004, 06:15 PM
verical incision

Today at my pre op visit, I learned that I am going to have a vertical incision. Dr. thinks he may not be able to remove my BIG fibroid with bicini cut incision. I can clearly feel the outline of my fibroid and it is REALLY big. I'd appreciate hearing from others who had this type of incision. Any difficulties? I had planned on buying a belly band but I guess that isn't something I can use now. The incision seems like it is going to be quite large and I'm nervous!! Any helpful hints would be great!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Vertical incision

I, too had a vertical incision for my TAH/BSO. During one of my first attempts to get out of my hospital bed, the nurse ran to get an abdominal binder. What a God-send that has been. Keeping my insides in place really made a difference in my recovery. I still wear it.

It will be 10 weeks tomorrow.

Good luck!
Unread 01-29-2004, 06:43 PM
verical incision

I had a vertical incision 3 weeks ago. It runs from my belly button to my pubic area. I was not shaved. I asked for a binder in the hospital which is an elastic band which helped me feel comfortable. It covers you snuggly from above your belly button to top of pubic area. I had 16 staples.

Bookfairy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
verical incision

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Should I request an abdominal binder from my doctor on the day of my surgery or can I feel comfortable that a nurse will be able to find me one. Did you need to purchase one to bring home? If so, where would I get one?

thanks again!
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Vertical incision

I didn't have to ask. I had read a little bid about them on this website though.

Each hospital may be different.
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
verical incision

I guess I will ask my doctor before my surgery so that I can be sure to get one. Thanks!

Do you typically get to speak to your doctor right after surgery or are you too out of it at that point? I'm gonna want to know what was or wasn't taken out!!!
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Vertical Incision

I did see my doctor briefly as the anesthesiologist was getting my IV started. It's kind of funny -- I was wheeled into the OR while she was still talking to me. Mostly though, I think she was just making sure I wasn't too nervous and that I was ready for my big adventure.
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Vertical incision

You know, I don't remember when I saw her first after surgery. It may have been the next afternoon. ?????? She did speak to my family after surgery and they relayed what she had told them.
Unread 01-30-2004, 05:46 PM
verical incision

Elena,
I had a vertical incision too. I didn't know about a binder, but my nurse made me a "belly buddy" out of several sheets that she folded and taped inside a pillowcase. It was sturdier than a pillow, but smaller to hold. She told me to hold it against my belly every time I had to roll over and get out of bed. I didn't take it home with me, and didn't think about it at the time, but wish I'd had it along for the ride home! Make sure you have something along to hold against your tummy on you first few rides in the car.

I am now past 10 weeks, and doing pretty good. This was a much harder recovery than I'd ever expected, and if you search for my posts you will see that I was kind of whiny for a few weeks. Maybe you shouldn't read them after all!

Anyway, good luck, and feel free to email or PM me as you go, if you have any questions.

Maureen
Unread 01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
verical incision

My doctor & I discussed a binder when I was first saw him about this. Because of the size of my uterus, we decided it would be a good idea to have the binder. Then, at my pre-op, he said that he'd have it written down, but to remind him. So, I reminded him that morning prior to surgery, and the nurse called (wherever it is in the hospital you call) to have one sent up to the OR.

Well, when I awoke in recovery, the dr. was telling me that everything went great, that my ovaries were healthy, etc. I was mumbling "thank you", and was well aware of what was going on, but I didn't want to open my eyes! Just let me sleep! I remember placing my hand on my abdomen and aware that there was no binder! Yikes!

I don't know why the decision was made not to use one, but it never bothered me by not having one. However, a small, firm pillow to hold sure does help if you have to cough or sneeze.

Oh, by the way, I have a long vertical incision, and it is about the width of a thread. Not the monstrosity that I thought it would be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register