Bladder pain/Interstitial cystitis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder pain/Interstitial cystitis Bladder pain/Interstitial cystitis

Unread 04-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Bladder pain/Interstitial cystitis

Do any of you have interstitial cystitis? Some months it really acts up around ovulation and I feel like I have vaginitis and when I go into the doctor, I don't usually have an infection aside from my pH is a little off? Wondering if this will improve or get worse after surgery?

GBonnough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 08:34 PM

you need to make sure that your surgeon and anyone else who will be taking care of you post-op knows of the IC. This way medication(s) can be on hand should you need something to help with bladder pain.
Not sure of the surgery youre having, however I'm sure there will be a catheter in place for atleast 24 hrs; this can aggravate an already irritated bladder, so be prepared.
stay well.
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:05 AM

Hi!
I was diagnosed with IC at age 16--two full years before my problems with endo really showed themselves and I was diagnosed. I had a urethral dilation at age 17, and I was really looking forward to the hyst helping my IC out--the problem is I can't really tell. I had something called a Presacral Neurectomy (was done 9 months before hyst in separate procedure). They removed the nerve that connects my bladder to my brain. So, I still have problems because I can't tell when I have to pee. My belly swells up big, and then I know my bladder is full and it's time to empty it. In general, my pain, etc that I had with IC is gone and I noticed it immediately following my surgery--however, because I had the PNS, its hard to separate them.
Also, I have not taken any Detrol or anything similar since my hyst. I hope it helps with your IC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM

I also have IC and am dreading that catheter with my hysterectomy. I take Elmiron and I'm starting to notice an improvement - usually. You might want to visit this sight for lots of helpful info on ic. http://www.ic-network.com/
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Will talk to doc

I will talk to my surgeon about the IC and see what he recommends. Thanks for the information. Hopefully IC won't be flaring when I have to have it done.

GBonnough
Unread 04-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Hi! I developed IC after my hysterctomy and I am taking Elmiron now and it is helping. Your bladder does go through a lot during any surgery especially a hysterectomy. I agree with everyone that the surgerons and anyone else helping need to know about your IC before surgery. The ic-network.com is a great website it was mentioned in another post. This site is worth looking at.

Friend2u

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register