Scheduled TAH So hungry | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
So hungry

Did anyone eat a hospital meal after surgery/recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Re: So hungry

I was kept to liquids for 24 hours afterwards. Believe me I didn't notice I was so doped up.
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Awww! I hope your feeling good (((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM

I had no restrictions & was in my room @ 2 & ordered dinner @5:30, I am cook @ hospital so I knew to order before 6. I ate hardly anything & it all tasted funny due to anesthesia.
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM

I did not eat much of the hospital food or any food for the first couple of days. I felt fine but I just had no appetite, plus the meds knocked me out. But once I started moving around more my appetite came back.
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM

I had a dvh and was in my room by 11:00 (7am surgery). By 1/2 I had some chicken breast and jello. And full dinner at 6. I was storming the floors looking for food. After the bowel prep starvation I was so thirsty and hungry. But my mouth was like cotton. I had some trouble swallowing. I was dipping my graham crackers and chicken in my apple sauce to get it moist.
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:58 PM

I wasn't allowed anything except water the first day after surgery. I didn't feel hungry - I was on dilaudid, and also I think there must've been glucose in the IV solution.

The morning of the second day a nurse came in with a breakfast tray for me! With coffee! I was on a "progressive liquid" diet that day, which included things like yogurt and ice cream. Besides breakfast I got lunch and supper.

By the third day I was allowed solids, and had oatmeal and toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Also, more coffee. I had lunch too, but I was discharged before supper.

The food wasn't bad, and the staff was really nice about arranging for a vegetarian menu for me. :-)
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM

My surgery was at around 7:30. I was back in my room by between 2 or 3. I had absolutely no nausea. I ate a chicken sandwich and jello for dinner. My pre-requisites for leaving the same day were to walk, pee, have pain under control with oral meds, and keep down solid food. I was home in my own comfy, quiet chair at around 7PM. I ate again when I got home. So, yep, I was hungry. My appetite decreased after the second or third day, though. I didn't have a TAH. That's a little rougher at the beginning than what I had.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

I had thought I might try to stick to liquids only while at the hospital but it didn't work out that way. I was too hungry!
After surgery I spent 7 hours in the recovery room due to complications with my breathing and blood pressure but when I finally got into my room I drank lots of water (I was SOOO dried out) and they brought me a tiny cup of watery broth and a tiny cup of jello. I wanted to eat solid food but they didn't want to let me quite so soon. I wolfed down the broth and jello.
The next morning they brought me a small plain one egg omelette and a small blueberry scone and coffee. I was starved and I enjoyed it so much. In spite of the tiny portion I found it satisfying. At lunch they gave me mac and cheese and some soup. Also found that small portions filled me up. I was worried about the constipation because I wasn't having BMs at the hospital but I kept taking stool softener and the day after getting home I had a BM and felt better. I've been eating solid foods (but nothing heavy, fried, red meats etc) in small portions and have been feeling fine.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybun View Post
...In spite of the tiny portion I found it satisfying. At lunch they gave me mac and cheese and some soup. Also found that small portions filled me up...
I too noticed that the portions in the hospital were fairly small. I took my cue from this when I got home and started off with small portions of simple foods (fruit, yogurt, toast, peanut butter). This worked well for me, especially the first week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register