Scheduled dVH/RALH Another Question :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Question :) Another Question :)

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Another Question :)

Good evening everyone, My mind is racing a mile a minute and something just came in my mind to ask " How did you feel waking up in recovery after your surgery?" Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Re: Another Question :)

To be honest with you, I don't remember the recovery room at all. I had a general anesthetic. My first memory was in my room (about an hour or two after surgery) where the nurse was setting up the PCA pump and asking me about my pain level from 1 to 10. I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "This isn't too bad! I am at about a 2 or 3 but if I tell her that, she won't give me the pump and I will be in trouble later on if I need it!" So I told her I was at a 5. The rest of the evening and night is a blur aside from asking my daughter to help me lie on my side to sleep. I was pretty well out of it and quite happy to just sleep until the next morning when I woke up totally clear headed but nauseous.

From reading on here, everyone is totally different. I hated being out of it but I dealt with it by sleeping.

Good luck with your surgery next week. I wish the best recovery possible.
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Thank you Danni for your experience. I had a d&c in march and I remember someone talking to me in recovery asking if i was in pain i even remember them taking me to my room. I was under for less than an hour. I know this surgery is major and yes everyone is different. I am hoping for the best. Thank u for the well wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM

I remember waking up in recovery and hearing the nurse talk to me. It was the same voice as one of the nurses who took care of me before surgery. I remember feeling groggy, and them telling me that everything was okay and that the test came back benign. I then remember them asking me about my pain level - I told them it was a 5 (from 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst ever) and that my right side really hurt. They administered some medication through my epidural, and then had me turn over a bit. I remember complaining, and they said it was to help the medicine go that direction. Then a blur, and then I am being wheeled into my room (my husband talked to me in the hall right after being wheeled from the recovery area, but I don't remember that). I then was told to grab the railing, and I saw the grey blackboard and I realized that they were trying to move me. It hurt sooo bad but I grabbed the railing. Then they moved me, had me grab the railing again, removed the backboard, and I was in my hospital bed. My DH came in a few seconds later.
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Thank u marestail, Its great to read your experience. I hope all is well with you after ur surgery.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:11 AM

I do not remember the recovery room. If I did wake I have no memory of it.

The first thing I remember was the nurse saying "Wakie ,wakie, I have someone to see you" when I opened my eyes my husband was walking into my room with flowers. I was in a lot of bladder pain because it was reconstructed during surgery. I was on a pain pump for the day and night. I slept on and off the first day. My husband left around 11:30 pm and I continued to sleep on and off. When the main pain meds wore off I would have a lot of pain but most of the time I was around 5 in pain. I woke about 4 am and that really was when my foggy brain started to leave after that it was easier to talk and think...
wishing you well in your recovery room...
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:12 AM

I do not remember the recovery room. If I did wake I have no memory of it.

The first thing I remember was the nurse saying "Wakie ,wakie, I have someone to see you" when I opened my eyes my husband was walking into my room with flowers. I was in a lot of bladder pain because it was reconstructed during surgery. I was on a pain pump for the day and night. I slept on and off the first day. My husband left around 11:30 pm and I continued to sleep on and off. When the main pain meds wore off I would have a lot of pain but most of the time I was around 5 in pain. I woke about 4 am and that really was when my foggy brain started to leave after that it was easier to talk and think...
Wishing you well in your recovery room...
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:52 AM

I was pretty alert in recovery. Groggy at first. I remember that my pain was nothing like what I was expecting. The nurses put my binder on me. I wanted something to drink and something to put on my lips cuz they were so dry. Nurse gave me ice chips and chap stick. It took them forever to get a room ready. I was in recovery for around 3 hours. They even brought my parents in to see me. It actually got pretty annoying to be there cuz the people around me were all having problems, and there was a child there crying non-stop. I could hear my nurse make several calls upstairs and even called a "higher up" to complain that I'd been stable for almost 3 hours and they needed to get a room ready for me NOW. She was awesome, loved her. When I got to my room, my parents were already there. I wanted to eat and they brought me a sandwich. I ate, they gave me more pain meds and I slept for a bit, but then was up and alert all afternoon and evening. I watched a Yankee game on tv, visited with my mom, had dinner. I was getting up to pee on my own about an hour after getting to my room. I had more gas pain than pain from my incisions. If it hadn't been for the gas, I would've felt great! I even joked with my doctor when he came in at 10:30 that evening, asking him if he was sure he really removed anything, that's how good I felt. All the best to you on your surgery!
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:05 AM

I get very chatty after surgery abdvtfat somehow helps me. The two nurses in recovery with just chatted and laughed like we knew each other forever. Seems weird now but at the time I didn't think any thing of it.
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks Ladies, I appreciate your replies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register